2 of 3
THE QURAN AND RATIONALISM
Posted: 11 December 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
arielmessenger - 11 December 2012 02:09 PM

I cited the brain science facts that our human brains are hardwired to receive spiritual stimulation and where is your atheist explanation for that?

I don’t know what an “atheistic” explanation would be, but I thought I have already answered your question when I told you that our brain can be hardwired for religiosity (or spirituality) just like it can be hardwired for superstition. You then came back with some nonsense about people associating luck with God, which proves, presumably, that God exists.

It’s really difficult to debate crackpots of your sort.

Posted: 11 December 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I cited the brain science facts that our human brains are hardwired to receive spiritual stimulation…

No, you haven’t. You’ve asserted that such scientific facts exist but have cited nothing and pointedly refuse to answer a simple question: What part of the brain is the receptor for this spiritual stimulation? Secondly, you need to cite scientific, peer-reviewed research backing your so-called facts. I challenge you to do so.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 11 December 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Ariel,

Just in case you are serious about your inquiry into why and how we (might) have evolved certain beliefs, you can start with this short video by Michael Shermer.

Posted: 11 December 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

No, Darron, none of you has given a logical answer to the scientific facts I posted that prove the atheist position is quite wrong and jumping to false conclusions based on not looking at the evidence:

1) You have NOT provided scientific facts.

2) In this context, there is no such thing as an “atheist position.”

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31

spreadtruth,

I would suggest you post a link instead of copying complete texts here.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Spreadtruth is no longer here, GdB.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31
Occam. - 11 December 2012 11:54 PM

Spreadtruth is no longer here, GdB.

OK.

Nice way of putting it, btw…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 12 December 2012 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I would suggest you post a link instead of copying complete texts here.

Ahhh…so he WAS violating copyright. Thought so.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 December 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

Arielsmessenger - I think you’re still around. Could you please acknowlege the difference between the untestable, which requires faith, and the testable and falsifiable, which is science?

Your insistance on ‘fundamentalist atheism’ is in great part a result of your failure to acknowlege that which is testable.

The existance of a god is not testable. If I *conclude*, based on the lack of evidence, that there is no god, I am not taking a position of belief.

Asserting “there is absolutely no such thing as a god”, that is a position of faith, but that’s not what I’m doing. The position of other unbelievers may vary. To each his own on matters of faith.

Posted: 12 December 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-11-13
DarronS - 11 December 2012 02:29 PM

I cited the brain science facts that our human brains are hardwired to receive spiritual stimulation…

No, you haven’t. You’ve asserted that such scientific facts exist but have cited nothing and pointedly refuse to answer a simple question: What part of the brain is the receptor for this spiritual stimulation? Secondly, you need to cite scientific, peer-reviewed research backing your so-called facts. I challenge you to do so.

Why do I have to do these things when you don’t? Please show me the scientific documentation showing God and spiritual reality do not exist. Please provide the links proving God doesn’t exist. If you can do this then you’ll be first on earth to do so and congratulations!

You guys just blow smoke and have nothing to really say about a phenomena none of you has any experience in yet thinks they are an expert. Very dumb way to go about forming one’s views of the world.

If you need to check out brain research do a Google on the God Gene for starters and then try explaining how human societies have devoted their structuring around non existent events and forces. Come back when you actually can post explanations that aren’t just so much “because we atheists say so” blather.

Posted: 13 December 2012 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26
arielmessenger - 12 December 2012 10:29 PM

Why do I have to do these things when you don’t? Please show me the scientific documentation showing God and spiritual reality do not exist. Please provide the links proving God doesn’t exist. If you can do this then you’ll be first on earth to do so and congratulations!

You have to provide the proof, because it is you who is making the claim (do not bear False witness).

You guys just blow smoke and have nothing to really say about a phenomena none of you has any experience in yet thinks they are an expert. Very dumb way to go about forming one’s views of the world.

How do you know the responders have had no experience with your phenomenon?  You presume too much (an expression of Vanity).

If you need to check out brain research do a Google on the God Gene for starters and then try explaining how human societies have devoted their structuring around non existent events and forces. Come back when you actually can post explanations that aren’t just so much “because we atheists say so” blather.

Why don’t you do the explaining and enlighten us. You are implying that the responders here cannot possibly enlighten you (absence of Humility).

[ Edited: 13 December 2012 03:52 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-11-13
Write4U - 13 December 2012 03:47 AM
arielmessenger - 12 December 2012 10:29 PM

You have to provide the proof, because it is you who is making the claim (do not bear False witness).

No, I don’t have to provide anything to pose my challenge to you atheists: You are challenged to provide answers to the findings of brain science and the fact of enormous amount of human life devoted to imaginary forces and beings. You see my facts are right in front of you every time you go outside your atheist home and face the fact that your thinking places you in the less than 2% category of humanity. You’ve got to come up with valid reasons why that is besides silly answers like “humans just need a big imaginary Daddy in the sky”, or “humans are just prone to irrationality” while atheists make some of the most irrational statements around such as “there is no God” when they have zero proof of this and cannot explain like you guys cannot explain and dance all over the place trying to divert attention from that fact—why evolution has evolved human brains to process “imaginary” invisible forces unlike any other invisible forces in that when they strike human beings it produces religious visions about more imaginary forces and entities too. This torpedoes the atheist answer I’ve heard, (not here) that religion is just another way humans bond socially while the historic pattern clearly shows music alone has never held any society together except musicians and the origin of almost all music is from, what, atheists? I can’t hear you..religion, which comes from humans like me, like billions of us, who have our spiritual receiving apparatus functioning in our brains as it is in over 98% of all human brains on earth, the atheist disability thankfully always being a tiny minority viewpoint as most human brains are not so disabled.

How do you know the responders have had no experience with your phenomenon?  You presume too much (an expression of Vanity).

If any atheist here can tell me they went through religious experiences that I have gone through, beginning with one that lasted three days and brought me into what the Hindus call seeing the world as “maya”, as well as producing specific revelations, one being the prediction that science would discover the dinosaurs never became extinct and were in fact flying around all over the place as birds (1979) confirmed in the ‘90’s and now well established with hundreds of fossils representatives. You see when someone goes through religious experiences like I have they come away with real proof and all one has to do is go to my online book The Aquariana Key to see chapter after chapter, hundreds of pages, each filled with revelations and spiritual insights and visions, enough material to start at least two new religions. Am I boasting? Is this “an expression of Vanity”? Not to me it isn’t. It’s me forcefully telling you that I know what I’m talking about because you’re like hostile witnesses in court, you don’t want to listen to what I say and I have to repeat myself over and over because your ears are stopped up—it’s the usual fundamentalist mindset I’ve come up against time and again dealing with fundamentalist Christians and Muslims. You guys hang together and reinforce each others atheist viewpoints but the reality is your viewpoints are not logical when put against real logic of science which is to seek the truth of things without prejudice and you guys are highly prejudiced to not look anything that counters your fundamentalist mindset. Ahhhuhh. That’s it. I can’t do this anymore. Get a clue.

Why don’t you do the explaining and enlighten us. You are implying that the responders here cannot possibly enlighten you (absence of Humility).

See my answer above.

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

Your hallucinations prove nothing, arielmessenger. You keep bleating science this and science that, yet offer no scientific evidence to back your opinions. Hold yourself to the same standard you hold us and provide some credible evidence for your beliefs. Hallucinations do not count as credible evidence.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 13 December 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Rationalizing is expensive compared to using simple heuristics. Heuristics can confer survival advantages without requiring an understanding for why the heuristic works. Religiosity, which can be thought of as a heuristic, strengthens group loyalty, which may confer a survival advantage. This, combined with other factors such as the persecution of nonbelievers, could have lead to a proliferation of religiously-inclined brains. Is that what you’re talking about? Or are you talking about a specific part of the brain that actually communicates with God?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 24 February 2014 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14

Hi ariel Hope your well
I appreciate you trying to be a scholarly individual, but I dont think google is the way to do things.
For example here is a funny example of how the media can mislead us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcHQmUEICc

Regardless of whether we are athiest , Muslims, Christian, Hindu, etc,  there needs to be very serious study
before we can have a productive discussion. The number of books recommended here kind of shocked me.
http://sheikhhamza.com/recommendations/

[ Edited: 24 February 2014 02:17 PM by I.J. Abdul Hakeem ]
 Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

2 of 3