Suggesting a summary of arguments
Posted: 10 December 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I am finding it hard to jump in to some of the conversations without too much extensive reading. I read the first page or so of a zillion page argument and respond from the heading but no one already in the end of the conversation is interested in engaging because they’ve moved on and are talking about something else. May I suggest having some kind of outline summaries to help us catch up on major arguments that you may have gone over and over too much? It might also help new readers get involved because they won’t feel intimidated to step in if they can figure some things out quickly on there own at first. If it is about doing the work to summarize, perhaps some of us may like to volunteer to do it here and there too.

thanx,

Scott

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

First, many threads switch topics away from the original so fast and/or so frequently that any outline would be a mess.  Second, who has the time, the skill, and the objectivity to do that?  Third, if everyone followed my suggestion of succinctness, most of the problem would be eliminated.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

There are so many solutions:

1. Just jump in, and say what you have to say. If somebody is interested, (s)he will pick it up. Don’t be afraid to repeat an argument that was given 100 pages ago. If the thread is still alive maybe somebody points you at the postings that you might be interested in.
2. Look into the forum everyday, and use the link ‘View New Posts’. After reading what you are interested in, use ’ Mark All Posts as Read’
3. Volunteer with CFI to write such summaries. You can start with the free will threads and the two envelope problem…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

There’s a problem in that some of the posters wouldn’t agree with the summary.  For example, the Free Will thread, the longest in the forum.  I’d summarize it as:  Some think free will exists while others think our behavior is determined.  I’d imagine that both sides would be strongly annoyed because their arguments were not presented.

Please, please, please, don’t start that discussion here.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 June 2013 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

Gdb,
How may one volunteer?

Occam,
I’m responding to this late and forgot about this a while back. I just proposed using title subject classification with a voluntary membership post that states one’s position. Do you think this would solve a declaration of summary by any person’s particular bias?

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 18 June 2013 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31
Scott Mayers - 17 June 2013 05:36 PM

Gdb,
How may one volunteer?

No idea. I am also just a forum member, nothing more.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 18 June 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I think GdB was being somewhat facetious. One can volunteer to write summaries of threads by going ahead and writing summaries of threads. As Occam notes, no guarantee that folks will agree with your summaries, though, and if not then we’re into another cul-de-sac.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos