ThinkAbout1t - 500 million years of our climate’s evolution in 7minutes
Posted: 10 December 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Any of you folks familiar with YouTube’s ThinkAbout1t

I found him through a very first class video about the past 500 millions years of Earth’s climate’s evolution.
It’s a very clean science class like timeline review.  One that does a great job of explaining the various influences upon our planet’s temperature along with how the composition of our atmosphere was created.

I recommend it for anyone wanting to understand the CO2/temperature lag story.

Man Made Climate Change in 7 Minutes
{although he should call it, 500 million years of our climate’s evolution in 7minutes}
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Qlc3s8XL4

It belongs right there next to Professor Richard Alley’s CO2:  The Biggest Control Knob on Earth’s Thermostat 
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/lectures/lecture_videos/A23A.shtml

...for first class shareable CC videos.
====================

In any event, I looked up ThinkAbout1t’s site - http://www.youtube.com/user/ThinkAbout1t?feature=watch
and dang he also created a whole bunch of atheist videos. 
I won’t have a chance to check ‘em out… neck deep in a different project,
but I figured I might as well pass it along over here.

Some of you are sure to like this dude’s stuff.

[ Edited: 10 December 2012 08:51 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 21 December 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

It’s a great video for a science-minded audience. It reassures people who are already convinced. It’s of little use when targeting climate change deniers and CO2 is fertilizer dimwits. We need marketing professionals to be able to properly deal with them. We need emotional intelligence to address the problem.

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-12-18
citizenschallenge.pm - 10 December 2012 08:49 PM

As I understand it, the “CO2 temperature lag” showed primarily in Antarctic (Vostok) ice cores.  I read something a while back where further investigation of ice cores taken from all over the world were not nearly as conclusive as the Vostok cores in showing warming preceding CO2 rise.  In fact, it was suggestive the CO2 rise may have actually preceded the warming trends.  Wish I could find a source ...

Chris

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Chrisan - 21 December 2012 09:55 AM
citizenschallenge.pm - 10 December 2012 08:49 PM

As I understand it, the “CO2 temperature lag” showed primarily in Antarctic (Vostok) ice cores.  I read something a while back where further investigation of ice cores taken from all over the world were not nearly as conclusive as the Vostok cores in showing warming preceding CO2 rise.  In fact, it was suggestive the CO2 rise may have actually preceded the warming trends.  Wish I could find a source ...

Chris

Here’s something along those lines:

Tightened constraints on the time-lag between Antarctic temperature and CO2 during the last deglaciation
Climate of the Past - Clim. Past, 8, 1213–1221, 2012
J. B. Pedro, S. O. Rasmussen, and T. D. van Ommen
Received: 31 January 2012 – Published in Clim. Past Discuss.: 20 February 2012

Abstract. Antarctic ice cores provide clear evidence of a close coupling between variations in Antarctic tempera- ture and the atmospheric concentration of CO2 during the glacial/interglacial cycles of at least the past 800-thousand years. Precise information on the relative timing of the tem- perature and CO2 changes can assist in refining our under- standing of the physical processes involved in this coupling. Here, we focus on the last deglaciation, 19 000 to 11 000 yr before present, during which CO2 concentrations increased by ∼ 80 parts per million by volume and Antarctic temperature increased by ∼ 10 ◦ C.

Utilising a recently developed proxy for regional Antarctic temperature, derived from five near-coastal ice cores and two ice core CO2 records with high dating precision, we show that the increase in CO2 likely lagged the increase in regional Antarctic temperature by less than 400yr and that even a short lead of CO2 over tem- perature cannot be excluded.

This result, consistent for both CO2 records, implies a faster coupling between temperature and CO2 than previous estimates, which had permitted up to millennial-scale lags.

check out the pdf, http://www.clim-past.net/8/1213/2012/cp-8-1213-2012.pdf

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?