1 of 4
Health benefits of coffee
Posted: 13 December 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

As I was grinding the beans for my morning cup o’ joe I decided to research the benefits of my favorite drink. Damn, I love this stuff, the smell of the freshly ground beans and the taste! Don’t know how many regular coffee drinkers are here but if you do there are seven benefits to be derived from the juice of the bean. Yeah, I like beer too, but not as much as coffee. There’s a local company who roast their own and the beans are fair trade.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/coffee-health-benefits_n_1064577.html#slide=440649

Of course, all things in moderation eh?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Cap’t Jack

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 13 December 2012 05:40 AM

Yeah, especially health tips learned from epidemiological studies.  wink

But yes, I love coffee. Of course I do, I get very little sleep. Some correlations are more meaningful than others, and where we can see clear effectiveness of drinking coffee is in the sleep research. Supposedly, the increase in coffee consumption correlates almost perfectly with the increase in sleep deprivation. There are lessons to be learned here: get more sleep, buy Starbucks stocks.

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

I’m a coffee drinker too…Emerils Big Easy Bold’s my fav.  Also drink green tea which is supposed to have major health benefits too.  The problem is what Woody Allen id’d in his movie Sleeper.  Seems like scientists are always swinging between 2 extremes when it comes to nutrition.  One day coffee will bring ruination, the next, it’s the elixir of life and I have 12 studies that prove both!  (As a political aside, I think this is also why so many righties can so easily dismiss legit scientific research.)

Posted: 13 December 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

Since I detest bitter, I can’t stand strong, brewed coffee.  However, I enjoy a cup or two of instant coffee laced with a slug of non-fat milk and sweetener.  Now, caffeine, that’s a different story.  I go through those pills like candy, but I usually avoid them after about 6:00 PM, and I sleep 8.5 - 9.0 hours every night, except for the three minutes I’m awake three times a night for a quick bladder emptying trip.  LOL

There was a nice note in Science Today about the values of coffee for both longevity and avoidance of mental deterioration with age.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 December 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, especially health tips learned from epidemiological studies. 

But yes, I love coffee. Of course I do, I get very little sleep. Some correlations are more meaningful than others, and where we can see clear effectiveness of drinking coffee is in the sleep research. Supposedly, the increase in coffee consumption correlates almost perfectly with the increase in sleep deprivation. There are lessons to be learned here: get more sleep, buy Starbucks stocks.

That’s why I don’t drink it after 7:00 PM and I drink caffeinated now that my doc says that it’s ok. Like I said I don’t especially drink it for the health benefits, although that’s a perk (pardon the pun). I love the taste and as Occam says it could be the bittness as I prefer a dark beer, porter and Guiness. Love that roasted hops taste. Yeah, I like the Starbucks stuff but, 1. It can be expensive due to the additives (milk and chocolate) and 2. you have to actually go there. BTW George, have you had a sleep study to find out what’s causing the insomnia? It may not be caffeine related.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 December 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Isomnia runs in our family, Jack. Not much I can do about it. And Starbucks is overrated and overpriced, although it’s still better than any of the other coffeehouse chains.

Posted: 13 December 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Isomnia runs in our family, Jack. Not much I can do about it. And Starbucks is overrated and overpriced, although it’s still better than any of the other coffeehouse chains.

Now there’s a genetic study waiting to happen! I’ve never heard of it running in a family. A neurological trait? Yes I agree about Starbucks. We use it a special treat verrrry sparingly and it’s hard for me to pay over three dollars for a cup of coffee even if it is delicious. BTW George, I had a beer a while back at a local eatery that was a Czech brew and just remembered to ask you about it. I believe it was called Urquel Pilsner? I may have misspelled it. I asked for Groelsch and the guy brought me this brew which was pretty smoothe tasting for a lighter beer. Ever heard of it?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 December 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Pilsner Urquell is a good beer but I prefer it with food; and I don’t find it all that light at all. The greasier the food, the better the beer tastes. And I haven’t had Grolsch in a very long time so I can’t remember now if I liked it.

One interesting trivia, Pilsner was the first light (as opposed to dark) lager.

[ Edited: 13 December 2012 06:05 PM by George ]

Posted: 13 December 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Hmmm, maybe that’s why it tasted so good. I had a hamburger and onion rings and topped it off with the Pilsner Urquel. It was good and had a definite hops taste over the wheaty grain of a Blue Moon, which if you haven’t had any is very much like a Weiss bier. Groelsch has a more grain like taste for a lighter beer.

Cxap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 December 2012 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2017
Joined  2007-04-26

Unfortunately nearly all of these studies are retrospective studies. Such studies are relatively worthless as guides for personal behavior but that never stops the media from making a big deal about them. The bottom line is, if you like coffee drink it as you like. With a few exceptions there doesn’t seem to be much evidence that its harmful, but if you dont like it don’t start drinking it in the hope that you will reap some unproven health benefit from it either.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 14 December 2012 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 13 December 2012 05:40 AM

As I was grinding the beans for my morning cup o’ joe I decided to research the benefits of my favorite drink. Damn, I love this stuff, the smell of the freshly ground beans and the taste! Don’t know how many regular coffee drinkers are here but if you do there are seven benefits to be derived from the juice of the bean. Yeah, I like beer too, but not as much as coffee. There’s a local company who roast their own and the beans are fair trade.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/coffee-health-benefits_n_1064577.html#slide=440649

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Cap’t Jack

Cap’t Jack

Grinding your own???

I would imagine that’s very satisfying.  I drink coffee and tea on and off throughout the day, everyday. Never any problems what so ever; like everything, it effects each person differently.

I guess I break down the stuff well.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 December 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Grinding your own???

I would imagine that’s very satisfying.  I drink coffee and tea on and off throughout the day, everyday. Never any problems what so ever; like everything, it effects each person differently.

It is Mike and it’s delicious too. Pre grind goes flat after constant exposure and dries out whereas the oils in the beans stay fresh until ground. It gives you a tastier cup of coffee as the oils are released when ground. As to he health benefits my doc said, hey it can’t hurt you if you don’t live on it and it does have some properties that may be beneficial, so I did some checking and sure enough there are on-going studies, some dating back 40 years that do show some positive effects but some negative ones too, such as insomnia from overindulging.  Here’s another one from JAMA:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=198353

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I love the flavor of coffee and have a Keurig coffee maker that takes individual pods to make single servings.  Nothing tastes as good as Newman’s Own Extra Bold.  One can get the pods without caffeine.  I have a coffee grinder but I process Blue Buffalo Cat food in it as my cat is 24 years old and her teeth hurt so I grind her food.  It helps her swallow her food and she looks fabulous for her age.  Blue Buffalo is the highest rated dry food one can feed a dog or cat. 

I’m glued to the television this morning as a shooter shot three little kids in a kindergarten school in Connecticut.  Why would anyone want to shoot little kids?  The number of kids shot goes from 3 to 20.  MSNBC is coverring this story.  The shooter is dead. 

Could it be that some person hates his wife so much that he would kill her children?

Posted: 15 December 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 14 December 2012 08:34 AM

Grinding your own???

It is Mike and it’s delicious too. Pre grind goes flat after constant exposure and dries out whereas the oils in the beans stay fresh until ground. It gives you a tastier cup of coffee as the oils are released when ground. As to he health benefits my doc said, hey it can’t hurt you if you don’t live on it and it does have some properties that may be beneficial, so I did some checking and sure enough there are on-going studies, some dating back 40 years that do show some positive effects but some negative ones too, such as insomnia from overindulging.  Here’s another one from JAMA:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=198353

Cap’t Jack

Yeah, I’ve had freshly home- ground coffee before, I’ve never done it myself though -  there really is no substitute for it, IMO.

The smell and taste can’t be beat!!  It seems the possible bad effects of coffee are pretty minute compared to the benefits, so we may as well drink up!

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Sandy Price - 14 December 2012 10:48 AM

I love the flavor of coffee and have a Keurig coffee maker that takes individual pods to make single servings.  Nothing tastes as good as Newman’s Own Extra Bold.  One can get the pods without caffeine.  I have a coffee grinder but I process Blue Buffalo Cat food in it as my cat is 24 years old and her teeth hurt so I grind her food.  It helps her swallow her food and she looks fabulous for her age.  Blue Buffalo is the highest rated dry food one can feed a dog or cat. 

I’m glued to the television this morning as a shooter shot three little kids in a kindergarten school in Connecticut.  Why would anyone want to shoot little kids?  The number of kids shot goes from 3 to 20.  MSNBC is coverring this story.  The shooter is dead. 

Could it be that some person hates his wife so much that he would kill her children?

Well, it seems to be that a person hates his mother so much that he killed her - and many of her students. (She was a teacher.)

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I am very sorry I split this thread away from the subject of coffee.  Hearing the news about the rampage in the small school in Connecticut split my train of thought.  I do not blame coffee for keeping me awake after bedtime.  Being retired, I often lie down on a heating pad during the afternoon, and it puts me into a nice nap.  I also take meds for pain and they too put me into a lovely nap in the afternoon.  The one thing that would keep me awake is finding myself in a good book.  Living alone after years of tending to family is a treat and spending time doing absolutely nothing is a great joy. 

I was raised in a family where coffee was not allowed.  Mormons would drink a hot liquid made out of potato crud called Postum which is not fit for consumption by anyone.  Last night I fell asleep listening to Rachel Maddow giving her opinions on the subject of a workable plan for gun control.  She has the right idea but probably not the clout to discuss this with Congress.

1 of 4