3 of 4
Health benefits of coffee
Posted: 16 December 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-02-02
George - 16 December 2012 11:26 AM
Thevillageatheist - 16 December 2012 10:56 AM

Oops, Jack, sorry. I guess your avatars look similar. 

I don’t know about that George but I’m pretty sure that we live in the same state! His avatar looks like Neil Armstrong while mine’s a Mammoth. Hmmm, could be that they’re both dark in color?

Cap’t Jack

Yeah, it’s the colour of both images that got me confused. And is it Armstrong? I always thought it was Gagarin. I guess they all look the same in the space suits.

Its Armstrong.  The only photo of him taken of him while he was on the Moon.  I switched to that after Neil passed.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 16 December 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, it’s the colour of both images that got me confused. And is it Armstrong? I always thought it was Gagarin. I guess they all look the same in the space suits.

Except that Gagarin’s is a reddish orange. His suit is on display beside Allen Shepard’ s at the Smithsonian and don’t ask me why. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Maybe he had two and the Russians gave us one to display. The one Neil is wearing is NASA white.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-02-02
Thevillageatheist - 16 December 2012 07:17 PM

Except that Gagarin’s is a reddish orange. His suit is on display beside Allen Shepard’ s at the Smithsonian and don’t ask me why. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Maybe he had two and the Russians gave us one to display. The one Neil is wearing is NASA white.

Cap’t Jack

And the Brits have a statue of Gagarin in London for some odd reason.  Still, its good that we honor those pushing the frontier.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 17 December 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Absolutely CT. Neil has always been one of my heroes as well as the rest from Project Mercury to the space shuttle. not only did they push out our boundaries but helped modernize the World with spin off products. Now on to Mars.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 December 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

On my way home this evening I heard a story about how a wide variety of companies are adding caffeine to their products.  One was FritoLay who are gong to come out with a chocolate-caffeine chip.  Another part of the story was about a physiologist who gave kids (not sure of the age, probably teens) two different soft drinks they were supposed to judge.  Unbeknownst to them, one had caffeine.  After a week they were asked which they preferred and by a large margin they chose the caffeinated one.  It seems that it’s addictive. 

I see a couple of problems.  First, I feel a good slug of caffeine gives me a speed of thought advantage in discussions, and if everyone is getting it, there goes my advantage.  Second, from what I’ve seen, one’s metabolism can easily get acclimated to it, so while one might feel depressed without it, the person is just at his/her normal level with it, so no longer any advantage. smile
Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I have to go into a medical lab every 3 months for blood tests and this must be done without my morning cup of coffee.  I am very aware of the difference in my brain trying to take a shower, brushing my hair, finding my keys and driving seven miles to the lab.  I am not awake and I stay on the right side of the street with great care.  Even my veins are still asleep and it takes a few stabs before one is located.  The vampire manages to get her fill and I am allowed to return home where I can smell the coffee all the way from the car port.  Nothing tastes as good as that first cup.  I guess I too am addicted. 

A year ago my daughter gave me a Keurig coffee maker and once it has heated up (2 minutes at the most) the cup is filled and I can wait for this by watching the cute machine follow my desire for the first cup in the morning.  I am as eager as a heroine user after the first injection.

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Let’s see here.

I don’t like coffee.  It tastes like bitter, brown, dirt water.  I don’t care what health benefits there are, I’m not drinking it.  I love the smell though.

Also, I don’t seem to feel caffeine.  I consume a lot of it on a regular basis and I periodically just stop drinking what I get it from, because, well, I just feel like it I guess.  I don’t notice any difference between when I’m consuming it and not consuming it.  Other people I know complain of headaches, jitteriness, and other withdrawl effects when they go without, but I don’t get that.  I don’t get the energy either.  It’s like a neutral, non-entity to me.  Odd.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 December 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17

I like coffee but I don’t drink nearly as much as my kids seem to think I drink. smile I generally only have a single espresso after lunch. That’s it for the day. However, when we’re out and about running errands, we almost always stop for lunch at some point. After which I want an espresso. So they’re always: “Daddy! Not Starbucks again!” LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 19 December 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, D-M, your metabolism may be so stable that caffeine doesn’t have any effect.  I guess you’re just stuck with having a few martinies each spiked with a couple of ground up speed pills and a shot of cocaine.  Maybe that way you’d get to experience the high we get from caffeine.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t like coffee.  It tastes like bitter, brown, dirt water.  I don’t care what health benefits there are, I’m not drinking it.  I love the smell though.

I have a delicious alternative for you DM, chocolate covered dark roast coffee beans! Wow! The best of both Worlds. Try it, they’re like buttah! Oy veh!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve been conned into trying them, and all I can say is what a waste of what could have been decent chocolate.  Horrible - took five minutes of repeatedly rinsing out my mouth then about three glasses of wine to finish getting rid of the taste.  vampire

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I’ve been conned into trying them, and all I can say is what a waste of what could have been decent chocolate.  Horrible - took five minutes of repeatedly rinsing out my mouth then about three glasses of wine to finish getting rid of the taste. 

Occam

Don’t listen to him DM, he doesn’t like bitter. I’ll bet he won’t even eat a piece of dark chocolate!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 December 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

But that worked out well.  When someone gave us a box of mixed chocolates, I got to eat the milk chocolates and my wife, the dark ones. 

Similarly, when I’d make chocolate dipped strawberries for a party, I’d make two batches, one milk and one extra dark chocolate.  All I can ask is why all those “dark chocolate lovers” ate all of the milk chocolate ones so I was stuck with only the dark ones left?  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

During this crummy economy I drove semitruck for a couple years and tossed back many 32 ouncers of truck stop cup-o-mud coffee while hauling down the interstate. 

I’m a fan of Kona coffee but like many others.  i also like tea especially Chai Spice black tea.

Posted: 20 December 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

But that worked out well.  When someone gave us a box of mixed chocolates, I got to eat the milk chocolates and my wife, the dark ones. 

Similarly, when I’d make chocolate dipped strawberries for a party, I’d make two batches, one milk and one extra dark chocolate.  All I can ask is why all those “dark chocolate lovers” ate all of the milk chocolate ones so I was stuck with only the dark ones left? 

Occam

My daughter does this as a holiday treat only and fortunately, because it’s chocolate I like both. She also sets out other fruit such as oranges and pinapple bites. If I was you Occam I’d horde some milk chocolate for myself!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

3 of 4