4 of 4
Health benefits of coffee
Posted: 21 December 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

I only like coffee with extra milk which eliminates the bitterness. My limit is two cups a day, but I also drink black and green tea. A couple of months ago I had gum surgery and was supposed to avoid caffeine for several days, which resulted in a slight but persistent headache. As soon as I resumed drinking coffee the headache was gone. So caffeine does mess with our brain chemistry after all…

Posted: 16 January 2013 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2135
Joined  2007-04-26
jamescarter1 - 16 January 2013 06:13 AM

Coffee can keep your skin healthy in many different ways. Other than preventing skin cancer and melanoma-related diseases, coffee has antioxidant ingredients that can help reduce the occurrence of skin problems and diseases in general. Coffee gets rid of free radicals in the skin — which reduces the onset of skin-related problems such as acne and eczema.

All unproven nonsense. This post is clearly spam but just to clarify, there is very little clinical evidence that antioxidants do anything to prevent cancer outside of the test tube.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 January 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  3057
Joined  2011-08-15

This sounds like naturopathy BS with no proof of your claims being offered. Lets see the facts if you please.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 January 2013 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
macgyver - 16 January 2013 06:57 AM

This post is clearly spam ...

Yes, and deleted.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  5488
Joined  2010-06-16

OK, to change the topic somewhat - Since I was in a cardiac study at a local college about thirty years ago, I sometimes get offers for me to participate as a subject in their other studies.  This recent one was for males over the age of 70 to receive either a placebo or testosterone to check I-don’t-know-what.  I tossed it, because even if Macgyver is right about retrospective studies, I saw two in Science Daily in the last year.  One showed that males with lower testosterone levels tended to get alzheimers earlier and more often.  The other showed that males with higher testosterone levels tended to have heart attacks earlier.  I’m not interested in having my personal probabilities manipulated.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2012-02-02
Occam. - 31 January 2013 07:03 PM

OK, to change the topic somewhat - Since I was in a cardiac study at a local college about thirty years ago, I sometimes get offers for me to participate as a subject in their other studies.  This recent one was for males over the age of 70 to receive either a placebo or testosterone to check I-don’t-know-what.  I tossed it, because even if Macgyver is right about retrospective studies, I saw two in Science Daily in the last year.  One showed that males with lower testosterone levels tended to get alzheimers earlier and more often.  The other showed that males with higher testosterone levels tended to have heart attacks earlier.  I’m not interested in having my personal probabilities manipulated.  smile

Occam

That’s interesting, because a recent study found that eunuchs live 20% longer than intact males.

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

I think you both, Tucker and Occam, need to understand that these studies talk about average (!) lifespan.

Occam, you won’t get a heart attack if you increase your testosterones at your age, or extend the length of your life by 20% if you get castrated. What happens is that young men with higher testosterones have a higher chance of getting killed, ultimately having an impact on the overall lifespan of all males. Having higher levels of testosterones also results in men taking more risks, many of them ending up disappointed and depressed. Long-term depression can deteriorate the heart, leading to a heart attack.

[ Edited: 31 January 2013 08:56 PM by George ]

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2012-02-02

Not disputing your comments, George, because you might very well be right, but I think that the study came to the conclusion that the added life came from more than just lowering the tendency towards risky behavior intact males have.  Certainly they would be exceedinly unlikely to die from testicular cancer, if nothing else, and adding 20% more to my life isn’t worth having my noogies cut off.  (Not that it would do me much good at this age.)  I just mentioned it because its an entertaining factoid.

Posted: 01 February 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  5488
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m not going to get into a discussion about which research studies are more valid, however, George, I like the way my 82 year old body is functioning now, so I’m not really interested in fiddling with the chemistry of it.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

4 of 4