holidays?
Posted: 18 December 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

OK fellow heathens,

What do people here do during the [unspecified December holiday] season?  Do you do anything?

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

We begin the Christmas holidays here by debating each other on how it should and shouldn’t be celebrated—I usually win. It’s our CFI Christmas tradition.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2209
Joined  2007-04-26
George - 18 December 2012 02:17 PM

We begin the Christmas holidays here by debating each other on how it should and shouldn’t be celebrated—I usually win. It’s our CFI Christmas tradition.

Well that settles it. Your gift is going back to the store and you’re getting a lump of coal.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

Well, I have to celebrate the end of the world for one of my sisters on the twenty-first. I haven’t seen her for years and only talk to her long enough to finish the weather talk and she’s gotta run. She’s seem to have forgotten what I stand for and assures me that “Celestine Prophesy” foretells something about the sun burning us up when the Earth, Moon, Galaxy(sic) and Sun align in a row.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 18 December 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

Get the Festivus pole ?

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3196
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, apparently, according to the Discovery channel that I am watching right now the World will end when the caldera in Yellowstone National Park erupts and spreads an ash cloud over the enter world snuffing out all life as we now it. as the narrator’s scary voice tells us, lava is on it’s way up to the fussures as we speak and it COULD happen any minute releasing energy equivalent to 1,000 atomic bombs! Take that paltry Mayans with your phoney baloney crystal skulls. We got earthquakes and volcanoes ready to kill us in a heartbeat. This is a real apocalyptic ending, not some cobbled together pseudo-scientific garbage.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 December 2012 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24

I usually work.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3050
Joined  2010-04-26

I complain about how much I hate the holidays, refuse to go to any of the holiday family functions, the get guilt-tripped into going anyway by my mom, sister, and girlfriend.  Sometimes, for variety, I lie about having things to do and stay home eating tacos and watching Drawn Together.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 December 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
skuld - 18 December 2012 02:13 PM

OK fellow heathens,

What do people here do during the [unspecified December holiday] season?  Do you do anything?

We still call it Christmas. <shrug> For us, it’s mostly about another mythical character: Santa. wink We do the ‘traditional’ stuff: get a tree and decorate it; put lights outside; and buy presents for the kids (occasionally for the adults when finances allow). I also like to indulge in some cognitive dissonance and pretend that people (including myself) are a bit nicer this time of year.  smile

The other day we (my family and I) were walking into Lowes garden department and a family with two toddlers was walking out. As our two groups passed, one of the toddlers looked at me, waved, and said: “Bye Santa!” That made my day!  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 19 December 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Mum and I exchange gifts. That’s it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 December 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3196
Joined  2011-08-15

e still call it Christmas. <shrug> For us, it’s mostly about another mythical character: Santa.  We do the ‘traditional’ stuff: get a tree and decorate it; put lights outside; and buy presents for the kids (occasionally for the adults when finances allow). I also like to indulge in some cognitive dissonance and pretend that people (including myself) are a bit nicer this time of year

That’s exactly what I was about to post Derek. Xmas has never really been about religion for us, even when I was a kid. Oh, we did the obligatory “church on Sunday” sthick but it had no real meaning as much as everyone wanted to pretend it did. It was a chance to visit with the extended family for that one night in the year and see aunts, uncles and cousins you hadn’t seen since last xmas, exchange presents and eat. Mostly I liked the eating. Couldn’t really stand most of my cousins, still can’t and my family and I are considered the black sheep anyway. We’re liberal dem.  skeptics in a room full of conservative rep. Fundamentalists. We sit and smile while listening to my aunts spout fox news crap about the war on Xmas and how they would chase the ACLU off their lawns if they tried to take baby jebus out of the manger. I do point out that the ACLU has no problem with their lighted blow up nativity scenes so long as they keep them off the courthouse lawn, and they turn and look at me as if I had two heads. When we leave my parent’s home I give them all them a parting shot and wish them all a “happy holiday” (purposely removing christ from Xmas) and they fire back a begrudging “merry Xmas” and the war on Xmas is over until next year.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Just a nice meal at a local Szchwan restaurant with my favorite step-son and his girlfriend.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 December 2012 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-20

I planned to watch Hollywood Movies in these Christmas Holidays.

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

We’re having a party to celebrate the fact that everyone else is having a party.

May not be original, but people and food are a good thing to have around on the darkest days of the year.

NEWTONMAS FOREVER!

Posted: 21 December 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

I began reading Ken Follett’s second book of the Century Trilogy. And it makes me think of how grateful we should be living in today’s Germany and not the one between 1933 and 1945. The book is almost 1000 pages so I need the Christmas holidays to be able to finish it.

Posted: 21 December 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Traditional “wild party” Xmas eve at my place.( Was wilder when the kids were in their 20s and I in my 40s.) hmmm  My son & his wife are hosting Xmas dinner for the first time at their new house.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.