No Divine Bailouts….
Posted: 18 December 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

I was actually brought up Catholic and have gradually wandered this way after exploring some Eastern Religions.  In fact a few Eastern things that appealed to me in Buddhism included meditation or mindfulness.  It was very Human based stuff I liked looking into one’s emotional self.

From there I wandered through Taoism and found it to basically be a collection of verses that served as mental exercises.  I still enjoy reading the verses of the Tao Te Ching and plan to keep my copy.

I also explored the notion of Pantheism which seemed like Atheism and Agnosticism thrown together in a blender.

Along with this I was going through YouTube and watched a lot of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett.  I have a lot of respect for these guys and their YouTube debates are very interesting.  These videos also added to my distrust and frustration with Faith-Based thinking. 

After all this, I feel very comfortable with the idea of using our Human gifts of reason to continue to advance and solve our problems.  I also agree with sentiments of Einstein on not taking the idea of an interventionist God seriously.

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26

Well said,

Welcome VideoDrome,

Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Videodrome was a great movie.

Oh, and hi.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

lol yeah I’m a fan of surreal movies from people like David Cronenberg, David Lynch, or Terry Gilliam.

Posted: 19 December 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Welcome to the party!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

‹‹ Oh My God....      My CFI dilema ››