1 of 2
Humanist or Atheist “Gideons” ?
Posted: 21 December 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

Just a random thought from seeing Bibles laying around in random places.  Even in the coffee shop I was just at.  Just in case the magazines or newspapers or Wifi internet isn’t enough you can flip through Bible Verses. 

So I wondered if there could be any other ideas being distributed?  Could a group leave copies of Stephen Hawking’s The Grand Design in Hotels?  I’m tempted to donate my copy to the coffee shop.

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Just a random thought from seeing Bibles laying around in random places.  Even in the coffee shop I was just at.  Just in case the magazines or newspapers or Wifi internet isn’t enough you can flip through Bible Verses. 

So I wondered if there could be any other ideas being distributed?  Could a group leave copies of Stephen Hawking’s The Grand Design in Hotels?  I’m tempted to donate my copy to the coffee shop.

Hawking’s book would doubtless leave the weary traveler scratching his/her head. Why not try one of Dan Barker’s anti-religious tracts instead? Short, sweet and to the point, like “What’s Wrong With the Ten Commandments”, or especially at this time of year “Heathen’s Greetings”. Just slip into Genesis.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 December 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-12-18

I was trying to think of a book based on “How Things Are” more then a book about “I think X belief is nutz”.  Some kind of book supporting an idea rather than tearing another idea down.  Yes, I actually read The Grand Design and it got complex toward the end. It was similar to A Universe From Nothing.  /mind blown

Maybe Richard Dawkin’s The Magic of Reality?  I hear it’s for kids but maybe that would help anyway? 

As for the bible inserts, I might just highlight parts with book marks.  Like the part where Moses and his posse find some schmuck who dared work on the Sabbath and stone him.

Posted: 22 December 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
VIDEODROME - 22 December 2012 12:31 AM

I was trying to think of a book based on “How Things Are” more then a book about “I think X belief is nutz”.  Some kind of book supporting an idea rather than tearing another idea down.  Yes, I actually read The Grand Design and it got complex toward the end. It was similar to A Universe From Nothing.  /mind blown

Maybe Richard Dawkin’s The Magic of Reality?  I hear it’s for kids but maybe that would help anyway? 

As for the bible inserts, I might just highlight parts with book marks.  Like the part where Moses and his posse find some schmuck who dared work on the Sabbath and stone him.

Perhaps a DVD of the highlighted parts in the bible. And the scenes with all the blood, and screaming, and despair. I bet it would be a best seller and sit right alongside Gideon.
How can you beat a good (horror) movie, resting from the road, some pop corn and a vivid reenactment of “horror highlights in the bible” or “the best scenes of the bible”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 December 2012 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

How about this one found right here on the site, “Drunk With Blood, God’s Killings in the Bible”. it details the jealousy, hatred, childish anger and monomania of the big G.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/DWB/index.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 December 2012 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 22 December 2012 05:35 AM

How about this one found right here on the site, “Drunk With Blood, God’s Killings in the Bible”. it details the jealousy, hatred, childish anger and monomania of the big G.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/DWB/index.html

Cap’t Jack

Dang, a day late and a dollar short…....pop.gif

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 December 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Here here! What really set me to thinking was the kill chart showing god v. Satan. Only 10? I gotta look this up.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 December 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

I left a few AHA and CFI mags on a table for people to leave, take or trade books and magazines.  I walked back about a half hour later, and they were gone.  Then I saw them in a trash can.  I thought that wasn’t very nice, and since my dryer died a few weeks ago and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it, I brought my wet clothes to a local laundramat.  There I saw a variety of religious tracts and bibles in both English and Spanish that had been left there.  I didn’t want to be nasty and wanted them to do some good so I gathered them all up and dropped them in a recycling bin.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 December 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

A civic duty well and good performed.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 23 December 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

Do we need our own “Chick Tract” fliers? Hopefully with less utter insanity in it?

Posted: 23 December 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

Being an old fud completely out of the modern mainstream, I haven’t the slightest idea what “Chick Tract” fliers are.  Could you fill me in, JJ?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01
Occam. - 23 December 2012 07:51 PM

Being an old fud completely out of the modern mainstream, I haven’t the slightest idea what “Chick Tract” fliers are.  Could you fill me in, JJ?

Occam

Ok, but ARE YOU SURE?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1106/1106_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1077/1077_01.asp

Please understand I was being a touch ironic.

Jack Chick is a guy who makes some of the more offensive “pro-Christian” flyers in existance.

He has a set of standing characters that have prompted more than one person to assume he’s not a very nice person.

EDITED TO ADD: Be warned, you may wish to sanitize your retina after looking at some of them.

[ Edited: 23 December 2012 09:14 PM by jj ]

Posted: 26 December 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m very familiar with these flyers as they appear in, of all places, the restrooms of local restaurants in our area. I remember the loose references to Hitler and Stalin in one of them. Their twisting of historical imagery and philosophy is hilarious and I especially liked the horned devil that appears in practically every scene towards the end. I trash every one I see.

Cap’t Jacj

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 December 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I find it shocking that CFI is still trying to cut through the illusion of faith.  Religion is a choice.  If anyone is unable to make this choice, maybe a read through of the bible or Book of Mormon might be a suggestion.  What would it take to suddenly believe in God?  This presents another choice…which God?  It would seem that searching for a rational and ethical Republican might be easier to locate. 

I never did believe in a spirit that would answer all my questions.  I married and had some kids and immediately was faced with how to tell the children of my doubts about a God.  Nothing made sense.  I repeat “NOTHING MADE SENSE”  Who, where and what was this notion that a God or Gods were keeping a close watch on my actions?  Scaring the crap out of my kids was ridiculous.  I cleared up that notion very early in their childhood. 

How many more years do we have to argue about silly God waiting around to do something terrible to us for having a bad thought about somebody? 

When is the final decision made that there is no God, no reason for a God and the whole thing is a diversion to confuse our minds?  The time to end this nonsense is now!  Or do we wait around until Easter to doubt again whether we need a God?  What’s wrong with America.  This morning the Internet sites are rehashing the loss of Romney for President.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I find it shocking that CFI is still trying to cut through the illusion of faith.  Religion is a choice.  If anyone is unable to make this choice, maybe a read through of the bible or Book of Mormon might be a suggestion.  What would it take to suddenly believe in God?  This presents another choice…which God?  It would seem that searching for a rational and ethical Republican might be easier to locate. 

But that’s the problem Sandy! For many people religion isn’t a choice. Parents often feel that a child is an extension of themselves or they have been convinced that they are protecting their kid via religious indoctrination. And that is true here and in moslem countries. The children may not have faith at first in their church but they do in their parents. Those of you who were raised by atheists or apatheists had no personal demons to wrestle with to become skeptics. It’s a hard mental struggle to release yourself from the grip of years of religious programming. And as to reading the bible, most laymen don’t. Unless you’re a Sunday school teacher you leave that to the preacher, priest, holy man etc. to do. Attempting to read the bible is too complicated and boring. One reads FROM the bible, cherry picking feel good passages and leaving out or ignoring the bloody massacres and angry god material. In doing so a reader can literally create a kind, and loving father or teacher, like Jesus and build your own belief. Ex. Most republicans adhere to the “the lord helps them who help themselves” form of xtianity. It’s not biblical but it’s somewhere to hang your religious hat if you’re a wealthy robber baron one percenter. The poor are poor because they want to be and they are cursed by god, whereas god wanted me to have a Cadillac, I once heard an evangelist say that to an audience of true believers! And, yes people do have Epiphanies but those who do generally already have a religious background with lots of supernatural images to choose from or encouragement from family and frends. And I agree that there are lots of rational and ethical reps. out there and they need to take their party back from the wingnuts before it implodes.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

But that’s the problem Sandy! For many people religion isn’t a choice. Parents often feel that a child is an extension of themselves or they have been convinced that they are protecting their kid via religious indoctrination. And that is true here and in moslem countries. The children may not have faith at first in their church but they do in their parents. Those of you who were raised by atheists or apatheists had no personal demons to wrestle with to become skeptics. It’s a hard mental struggle to release yourself from the grip of years of religious programming. And as to reading the bible, most laymen don’t. Unless you’re a Sunday school teacher you leave that to the preacher, priest, holy man etc. to do. Attempting to read the bible is too complicated and boring. One reads FROM the bible, cherry picking feel good passages and leaving out or ignoring the bloody massacres and angry god material. In doing so a reader can literally create a kind, and loving father or teacher, like Jesus and build your own belief. Ex. Most republicans adhere to the “the lord helps them who help themselves” form of xtianity. It’s not biblical but it’s somewhere to hang your religious hat if you’re a wealthy robber baron one percenter. The poor are poor because they want to be and they are cursed by god, whereas god wanted me to have a Cadillac, I once heard an evangelist say that to an audience of true believers! And, yes people do have Epiphanies but those who do generally already have a religious background with lots of supernatural images to choose from or encouragement from family and frends. And I agree that there are lots of rational and ethical reps. out there and they need to take their party back from the wingnuts before it implodes which may not be long if we go over the fiscal cliff.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2

‹‹ Foundation Beyond Belief      A Thitd Sex? ››