Christmas 2012
Posted: 25 December 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

My place in the family Price has been to serve a large healthy Christmas dinner gathering all around my large dining room table.  This year it has changed.  My family decided to take a cruise all around the island of Tahiti.  My choice was to stay home and be the emergency person just in case any or the family pets need help.  I woke up and decided to make up a special meal for my resident two black cats.  My old girl Emma is 23 years old and every year we celebrate her extended age.  I have in the past made up some beef, non-fat tiny meat balls and I headed off to the super market for the meat.

There was one customer in front of me and I realized that the butcher was trying to put a large live lobster in a net and the lobster was not cooperating.  The poor thing must have realized his doom and put up a battle.  He put up a fight.  Finally snared they brought him up to the scale that was right in front of me.  I wanted to turn away but I was fixated on the poor bastard.  He looked at me for help.  What could I do?  I thought about throwing him in my purse but he was too big and what would I do with him as I am no where near the Pacific Ocean.  They got his weight and the butcher took him in the back room where I assumed he would be killed.  Nope!  They tied him to a plastic dish and wrapped him in cellophane.  She put him on the counter where he gave me a sad look that said “goodbye.” 

There is nothing in my DNA that claims I’m a hunter.  I swim in the YMCA pool every day and I clear the top of the water of any bees that got water on their wings and would have drowned without help.  I’ve done this for years.  I also rescue black cats when people pick them up on Halloween.  But this Christmas will always be in my memory of that poor lobster being taped to a plastic plate waiting to be dropped in a pot of water as it slowly gets heated up.  The butcher felt sad too as he had given the lobster the name of St. Nick. 

I hate Christmas as it does terrible things to my imagination.

Posted: 25 December 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, the problem is that the closer to seeing the death of the animal the harder it is to take.  When we walk by the meat and fish counter in a store, we don’t think of the living animal that was killed to provide that beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, salmon, lobster, crab, shrimp, etc. 

I always catch spiders or occasional bees that get into my house and put them out, however, I have no problem killing a similarly inclined mosquito, or, when I was a kid, squashing fleas I picked off of my dog. 

Interesting where each of us draws the line in killing animals.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 December 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

PLEASE SAVE THE ECOLI!

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 25 December 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

That lobster had a personality!  He was actually kinda cute.  Save me from Christmas!!!  My daughter just sent me an email about a Sting Ray throwing himself into her boobies and I threatened to fly down there and make him behave.  My daughter also has a personality.  Too much Monty Python as a child.  My throat is still very sore so my swimming classes are on hold.  It might be that Christmas makes me sick.  I do love the music.

Posted: 25 December 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

By All Means, Save the ICOLI.  It keeps my weight down.

Posted: 25 December 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

On a more serious note, here’s a good documentary made by a guy who loved grizzly bears. Check it out. But warning: it shows how love can bite you in the end!

Grizzly Man

I spent Christ’s Mass here like some of you. I wanted to be with a girl I’m in love with. But that’s over. But we’re having fun aren’t we, though? Could you please pass me the turkey, Occam?...Thanks. Oh, and ah…Sandy, are you done with the potatoes?... cause I could use some of those too. Mmmm.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 26 December 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Of course, just as soon as I’m finished with the gravy.  Yawn!  I did some serious reading and writing yesterday.  Yawn!  Apparently, a search for some quick and inspiring dialog is over and we can all go back to bed.  Yawn!  Not together!  I am easily misunderstood.  Yawn!  I spent a whole hour trying to check out who would be playing football.  Monday Night Football is on Thursday and yesterday was only Tuesday.  Yawn!  So I spent another hour studying the map of California.  When did they assign numbers to the freeways instead of names?  Yawn!

Happy New Year!

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Scott.  Maybe Moo Shu Pork or Kung Pou Chicken, but no turkey. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

After a few glasses of wine, everything tasted like chiken! Thanks. Great meal.

Signature