2 of 3
Most social science research about beliefs excludes atheist participant samples . . .
Posted: 01 January 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-12-18

OK - I took the survey and just skipped all the crap about “beliefs.”  smile

Chris

ps When do I get my results?

Posted: 01 January 2013 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
Jtmoor - 01 January 2013 05:33 PM

I’ve actually contacted an acquaintance of mine, Joe, at atheistresearch.org.  I’m still waiting for him to respond (just e-mailed him today).  I love nsrn.net, it’s been a great resource.  Thanks for completing the study!  Also, seeing as how you’re familiar with this research area, would you have any suggestions on how to increase my Christian sample via online recruitment?  Strangely, I’m getting lots of secular respondents but very few Christians.  This really surprised me.

that’s been a sticking point with me too.  the trouble is that when you go to secular sites - like this one - and christian sites you end up with people who are either strongly religious or strongly atheistic - which would bias the results if you were looking for a cross section of beliefs.  unless you were explicitly looking to compare those two samples, of course.

Posted: 02 January 2013 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4574
Joined  2007-08-31

Done.

Let us know what you found out.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

Biggest problem is the word “believe”.

Some of us “conclude, based on evidence”, as opposed to “believe”.

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

I just completed the study and would be interested in the results. Good luck in your doctoral program!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 January 2013 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-01-01
jj - 02 January 2013 06:06 AM

Many people (only secular folk, though) had that same issue with the wording.  Ultimately, the word belief was chosen for either two reasons:  1)  because it was most applicable to be understand by the broadest range of participants in the study who come from various ideological perspectives with various verbal intelligences, and 2) because the word was used in the psychological instruments that were standardized and validated upon such a wording.  Thanks for taking it!

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

I had no problem. Concluding based on evidence is a form of believing. You’re just being a prissy atheist. tongue laugh

[ Edited: 02 January 2013 09:42 AM by TromboneAndrew ]
 Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Jtmoor - 01 January 2013 05:33 PM

Strangely, I’m getting lots of secular respondents but very few Christians.  This really surprised me.

You mean that you’ve canvassed Christian sites like you’ve canvassed secular sites like this one and the Christians aren’t responding?

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-01-01

I’ve canvassed more secular sites, because I thought recruiting them would be hard, and Christians would be easy.  Now I’m trying to contact more Christian sites but their message boards are more strict (won’t let me post new threads until I’ve posted many times before).  I’m searching for a way to get in touch with Christians en masse.  Would appreciate suggestions that do not include waking up early on Sunday.

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Possibly, don’t worry about starting a new thread, just enter your post in one of the more general ones that are already running.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-04-26
Occam. - 02 January 2013 10:19 AM

Possibly, don’t worry about starting a new thread, just enter your post in one of the more general ones that are already running.

Occam

Or you could IM the moderator and explain your purpose. they may be able to exempt you from the requirement or post the request for you.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Jtmoor - 02 January 2013 10:14 AM

I’ve canvassed more secular sites, because I thought recruiting them would be hard, and Christians would be easy.  Now I’m trying to contact more Christian sites but their message boards are more strict (won’t let me post new threads until I’ve posted many times before).  I’m searching for a way to get in touch with Christians en masse.  Would appreciate suggestions that do not include waking up early on Sunday.

Maybe ask your university for funds to pay for advertising (asking to participate in survey) on large sites that allow targeted advertising like Facebook?

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

The part I didn’t understand was the section on random emotions.  I’ve suffered with depression most of my life, and I’m going through a difficult time right now.  But what does that have to do with my worldview?

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

The nine-point answering scale seems a big confusing to me. I think I know what it feels like to strongly agree, agree, disagree and strongly disagree, but anything beyond that makes me a bit dizzy. Sorry, I couldn’t complete it.

Posted: 02 January 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01
TromboneAndrew - 02 January 2013 09:37 AM

I had no problem. Concluding based on evidence is a form of believing. You’re just being a prissy atheist. tongue laugh

Actually, I’m being a pedantic research scientist, but yeah ...

2 of 3