Leading Environmental Activist’s Blunt Confession: I Was Completely Wrong To Oppose GMOs
Posted: 04 January 2013 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

So I guess you’ll be wondering—what happened between 1995 and now that made me not only change my mind but come here and admit it? Well, the answer is fairly simple: I discovered science, and in the process I hope I became a better environmentalist.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/01/03/mark_lynas_environmentalist_who_opposed_gmos_admits_he_was_wrong.html

Wow!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 January 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05

Aren’t terminator seeds genetically modified?

It is not as simple as GM = Good or GM = Bad.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 04 January 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

Most every food we eat and pets we have have been genetically altered, the only differnce now is the methods used to do this is more advanced.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 04 January 2013 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
garythehuman - 04 January 2013 02:14 PM

Most every food we eat and pets we have have been genetically altered, the only differnce now is the methods used to do this is more advanced.

Which is what I have been saying for years.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 January 2013 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

“I discovered science”.  Ugh, a statement like that nauseates me.  He probably read a few pseudo-scientific articles and got converted.  Geez, don’t let him near any religious sermons or he’ll be converted to being a fundamentalist.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 January 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01

Still, props to him for admitting he made a mistake.

Posted: 05 January 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Me too.  I just realized I misread the title of this thread. I thought he was saying he was going from being for to against GMOs, but I was wrong.  It was just the reverse so I retract my prior post entirely.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 January 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05

Exposed: the great GM crops myth
Major new study shows that modified soya produces 10 per cent less food than its conventional equivalent

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/exposed-the-great-gm-crops-myth-812179.html

I think we need to distinguish between technology and the implementation of technology.  The same technology can be implemented a 1000 different ways.  To use a conservative estimate.  I mostly trust corporations to implement it in a way that will maximize their short term interests regardless of what long term harm it might do.

So the problem is not really the technology.  It is people doing stupid shit with it.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental