1 of 4
US Social Welfare
Posted: 04 January 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

Form those who are out to improve US Social Welfare policy this is a most interesting article from of all place Foreing Affairs:

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/138483/kimberly-j-morgan/americas-misguided-approach-to-social-welfare

It examines the mix of ” govenmemt spending, tax-based subsidies, and private social spending” in ways that you don’t normally encounter.  When all these things are taken into accout it states that the US has the 5th hightest social spending in the world, just below Sweden.  It also goes into where some of this is misdirected and discusses how some of these shortcomings cam be corrected, espically in Health Care and housing.

IMO, well worth the read.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 05 January 2013 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

I can’t read the whole article, and I’m not going to sign up for it, but I can imagine some things that we misspend on.

The military industrial complex, prisons, public entertainment, come to mind.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 January 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
mid atlantic - 05 January 2013 04:43 AM

I can’t read the whole article, and I’m not going to sign up for it, but I can imagine some things that we misspend on.

Public Entertainment ?

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 January 2013 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
macgyver - 05 January 2013 07:24 AM

Public Entertainment ?

By this I mean art galleries, sports stadiums, museums, public broadcasting, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2013 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

By this I mean art galleries, sports stadiums, museums, public broadcasting, etc.

I can understand your stance on sports stadiums, most of them are partially funded by the city they’re built in, but museums, PBS and art galleries? I call that money well spent IMO. It furthers public education and we need that more than ever, especially the museums that depend on public donations as well. BTW, the best palentological exibits I’ve ever seen are in the Carneigie Museum in Pittsburgh, better in fact than the Smithsonian. And what about the Met in NY? That’s definitely not money misspent.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 January 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

That quote thingy is screwing up again or I’m not doing something right.

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 January 2013 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-12-01
mid atlantic - 06 January 2013 12:35 AM

Public Entertainment ?

Wow. Sports stadiums I will agree is entertainment, but art galeries, museums, and public broadcasting are education, not entertainment.

Was 1st grade entertaining? Seriously!

Posted: 06 January 2013 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
jj - 06 January 2013 06:44 AM

... art galeries, museums, and public broadcasting are education, not entertainment.

excaim

Not to mention, the amount the government spends on these things amounts to a rounding error on the budget. They are fiscally meaningless.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 06 January 2013 06:51 AM

... art galeries, museums, and public broadcasting are education, not entertainment.

excaim

Not to mention, the amount the government spends on these things amounts to a rounding error on the budget. They are fiscally meaningless.

Yeah, they amount to a very small slice, but; money is money.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
mid atlantic - 06 January 2013 12:35 AM

Public Entertainment ?

Wow. Sports stadiums I will agree is entertainment, but art galeries, museums, and public broadcasting are education, not entertainment.

Meh, I disagree. Art galleries, museums and public broadcasting only really appeal to “nerds” and the elderly.

Those people can pay out of pocket.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 06 January 2013 07:14 AM

This is absurd. It is money well spent on public education. Indeed, if anything the government should spend more on making public TV and public museums more available and with better programming.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 06 January 2013 07:27 AM

This is absurd. It is money well spent on public education. Indeed, if anything the government should spend more on making public TV and public museums more available and with better programming.

OK, you can pay for it, not me though.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 06 January 2013 07:39 AM

It’s immaterial. You wouldn’t notice a difference in your tax bill either way.

This is the kind of smokescreen that conservatives love pump out, as though it were actually relevant to the budget discussion. In fact, the problem for conservatives is that these fora for public education end up actually making the public a little smarter and more secular, taking up time that might otherwise be used for reading the Bible or Ayn Rand.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
mid atlantic - 06 January 2013 07:39 AM
dougsmith - 06 January 2013 07:27 AM

Come on now mid. We all know thats not the way democracy works. We all have a say but once we decide to do something we don’t get to make individual decisions about participation. Just as you can’t opt out of paying for roads and bridges, you can’t opt out of paying for other projects that the majority have approved. Nothing would ever get done if it worked that way.

If you really think these things are a waste then campaign to do away with them. Otherwise you just have to pony up.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 January 2013 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Meh, I disagree. Art galleries, museums and public broadcasting only really appeal to “nerds” and the elderly.

Those people can pay out of pocket.

Hey Mike, watch who you’re calling an elderly nerd! On second thought, I resemble that remark and declare it proudly. And these institutions should appeal to everyone. Education isn’t just for nerds but should be utilized for all students of life. And BTW, people do partially pay for these, especially for museums via admissions, outreach programs, lectures, gift shop items such as books etc. Art galleries the same. And PBS has periodic pledge drives to augment federal subsidies. There’s many other ways to cut the deficit than to shut down areas of learning. Hell, we’re already hurting by spending cuts in education. Why not uncouple ourselves from the military-industrial complex and keep war from becoming so lucrative? Educate the poor, not turn them into soldiers.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 January 2013 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

What?? You didn’t find 1st grade entertaining?! I couldn’t wait to go to school every day. I learned French, how to draw more than a stick figure, how to recognize and write the alphabet, how to get along with other kids not my relatives, how to make friendships, the differences between boys and girls, girls didn’t like being pestered and they hit you when you did (that lesson stayed with me), what cafeteria food was like, fish on Fridays, an adult, other than your parents who really cared about you, the true definition of a bully, how to cuss properly and what some of the acronyms really mean, how butterflies emerge from larva (super cool even today), how to create buildings from blocks, what primary colors mean, really enjoying those two recesses by exercising on the monkey bars and what it feels like hanging upside down, what it means to run as fast as you can, making up games, the smell of freshly memiographed color sheets and how to color a pumpkin. And that was the first day! I can say that first grade was not only entertaining but enlightening and I wouldn’t trade it for a sports arena any day.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 4