US Social Welfare
Posted: 10 January 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Anyboy read the article?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 10 January 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
garythehuman - 10 January 2013 10:48 AM

Anyboy read the article?

Well, you linked to a ‘premium article’ which requires payment. So other than the first two paragraphs? No, I haven’t. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 10 January 2013 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Doug-But the bigger point here is that professional sports is self-funding: it makes tons of money from advertising, ticket sales, etc. So in that sense it doesn’t need public funding. It’s like movies or most TV. It’s pure entertainment that people already pay for and that is in fact very highly lucrative to its owners. Putting public funding there just amounts to subsidizing some billionaire’s already-hefty paycheck.

I agree. 
I think that might go on in other “arenas”(pun intended) as well to varying degrees.
Subsidizing.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 11 January 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Sorry group, didn’t realize it was a premium article, (I have a subscription) I’ll have to watch that in the future. red face

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

4 of 4