2 of 2
I’m not new to Atheism, but new to organized Atheism
Posted: 04 February 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
Tahu - 21 January 2013 11:50 AM

Hi, I’ll be honest I’m not 100% sure what to write here so forgive me if I share too much. First a bit of background and then on to why I’m here.

I was raised Jewish, but I’m fairly sure I never really bought into it. Like many American Jewish parents mine pushed me to ask questions, the death of any religion if you ask me. Anyway, I eventually fully knew I was an atheist and my parents know I am, but that’s a different topic of discussion. I recently married a raised Catholic, Atheist girl, we don’t think her parents know our thoughts on the subject, but also a different topic of discussion.

Anyway we are just two happy atheist living in Los Angeles. I’ve never been one for organizations, religious or other wise. I’m not sure if one has anything to do with the other, maybe. Secular organizations don’t bother me at all, I’ve just never participated in any. Lately the topic of kids and how to raise them has been on my mind a lot. We don’t currently have any kids, but maybe down the line. I think for the first time in my life I’ve been thinking of joining a group or a community of like minded people to get other’s thoughts, bounce ideas off of people, and all those great things about being a part of a community can provide.

I wasn’t really sure where to start so I came here. I’m sure I’ll swing by the center sometime just to take a look. Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Reminds me of the Will Rogers quote: “I don’t belong to an organized party.  I’m a Democrat.”

There is only so much organization that will happen in atheism.  It doesn’t lend itself to regimentation.  We get together to associate with like-minded people and try to show others that atheism is the rational choice.  We have no doctrine to preach except intellectual honesty, which, unfortunately is in short supply. We don’t deal in the afterlife. We offer no salvation.  Only honest people need apply.

2 of 2