Thief sentenced to church
Posted: 30 January 2013 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Thought you might find this interesting. A thief who stole musical instruments from a local church has been sentenced to attend services and wear a sign confessing his crime. Medieval justice still at work. Rather than jail he chose public humiliation. What’s next, dunce caps?

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man-Choses-Church-over-Jail-Time-in-Theft-Plea-Deal-189055781.html?mobile=yes&device=ipad

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

I think this is horrible circumvention of the law.

However, I’d take that sentence over jail. wink (Not that I’d steal and be worried about any punishment in the first place.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 30 January 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Oh sure, that’ll teach him not to steal, because we know how honest churches and ministers are.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Oh sure, that’ll teach him not to steal, because we know how honest churches and ministers are.

Yeah right!!!!  wink

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

I don’t know. Sitting through sermons for how long? My recollection as a child was that that was something akin to nails on a blackboard. jail may not bee that bad. Could I wear earplugs and read a book ( my own book) ?

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 30 January 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t see the problem.

Where he lives, parading around with that sign is probably a worse punishment then jail. LOL

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Totally perpendicular to the topic, but this happened in Sandy Hook, Kentucky? Sandy Hook as in Sandy Hook Elementary, Newtown, Conn? That’s just odd. (Not suggesting any kind of link, just saying it’s odd).

But this does point out something. Let’s see Science has gone from simple pulleys and levers to launching satellites to orbit Jupiter or intercept comets.  Religion has gone from public humiliation to, um public humiliation.  Please don’t ever tell me they’re just two ways of dealing with the world.

Posted: 31 January 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Totally perpendicular to the topic, but this happened in Sandy Hook, Kentucky? Sandy Hook as in Sandy Hook Elementary, Newtown, Conn? That’s just odd. (Not suggesting any kind of link, just saying it’s odd).

But this does point out something. Let’s see Science has gone from simple pulleys and levers to launching satellites to orbit Jupiter or intercept comets.  Religion has gone from public humiliation to, um public humiliation.  Please don’t ever tell me they’re just two ways of dealing with the world.

Shortly after posting this on the forum my son asked how many Sandy Hooks are there in America? I never even thought of the name connection but I’d bet there is a cultural dissimilarity between two! Actually the first thing brought to mind was the public stocks in Williamsburg where the social miscreant was locked into them while being pelted by rotten fruits and veggies for his penance. I’ll just bet that’ll cure a sociopath or drug abuser! Should an atheist, nature forbid, ever find him/herself in this predicament be sent to a series of lectures on quantum theory for six weeks in lieu of jail time? What to do with the godless, hmmmmm.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 January 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

It’s cheaper than sending him to a crime university (jail).  Who knows it might even work.  He is making a sort of restitution for his mis-deed and may even earn forgiviveness from those he damaged.  Remeber churches are about community as much as theology.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 31 January 2013 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Update: the thief was caught again today for stealing. Hmmm, I guess the devil made him do it. This time he goes to jail. Must have been predestination.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 January 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

The thief is more stupid than I first assumed. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I blame a deterministic universe. grin

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Thevillageatheist - 31 January 2013 04:50 PM

Update: the thief was caught again today for stealing. Hmmm, I guess the devil made him do it. This time he goes to jail. Must have been predestination.

Cap’t Jack

cheese Another damn devil worshiper.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 04 February 2013 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2243
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 30 January 2013 03:54 PM

Thought you might find this interesting. A thief who stole musical instruments from a local church has been sentenced to attend services and wear a sign confessing his crime. Medieval justice still at work. Rather than jail he chose public humiliation. What’s next, dunce caps?

Hide the kids!

Lois

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man-Choses-Church-over-Jail-Time-in-Theft-Plea-Deal-189055781.html?mobile=yes&device=ipad

Cap’t Jack

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2013-01-23

This sounds just terrible. How is thief never able to recover from this? Just makes clear that many congregations are quite into to public humiliation.

This reminds me about the case few years ago; local Pentecostal church in my area decided to enlarge their facilities and they were collecting more tenths than usual from their wealthy members. One of them refused. Few years later he/she got burnout, and instead of support and caring, his/her fellow people in the church just talked how god (who does not exist) punished him/her for not giving money years ago.