2 of 2
Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?
Posted: 07 May 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

On a purely practical level, there would be little plant or animal life in a desert, certainly not enough to feed that many people for 40 years.  And where would they get water? The story is fiction, just as the story of Jesus as Messiah. And it was embroidered upon and added to, as all legends are.  All it takes is a little common sense to figure it out as an impossibility. Of course, if you’re assuming miracles, physics and biology don’t count and anything would be possible.  Within theism anything is possible, which is why the concept of miracles is dismissed by intelligent people.

Lois

[ Edited: 08 May 2013 01:13 AM by Lois ]

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10

I agree.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
Martin Luther “

Regards
DL

Posted: 13 May 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22
Lois - 07 May 2013 09:45 AM

On a purely practical level, there would be little plant or animal life in a desert, certainly not enough to feed that many people for 40 years.  And where would they get water? The story is fiction, just as the story of Jesus as Messiah. And it was embroidered upon and added to, as all legends are.  All it takes is a little common sense to figure it out as an impossibility. Of course, if you’re assuming miracles, physics and biology don’t count and anything would be possible.  Within theism anything is possible, which is why the concept of miracles is dismissed by intelligent people.

Lois

Just a side note:  40 Years/ 40 days when mentioned in the Bible were not intended as an exact measurement or dating system.  They were used in oral history of the culture of the times to represent relative lengths of period of times.  I used to have a chart listing several of these, but I lost it when my computer crashed several years ago and don’t remember where I originally got it from.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 13 May 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
Lois - 07 May 2013 09:45 AM

Lois

If the Exodus occurred, it was natural as is everything that actually occurs.  If it was fact, then the refugees ate something referred to as “manna” for 40 years.  If this is true, manna was some naturally occurring substance. (Perhaps it had some hallucinogenic properties that could explain their religious obsessiveness… and explain why it took 40 years to find their way out of the desert. smile )

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 13 May 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

If the Exodus occurred, it was natural as is everything that actually occurs.  If it was fact, then the refugees ate something referred to as “manna” for 40 years.  If this is true, manna was some naturally occurring substance. (Perhaps it had some hallucinogenic properties that could explain their religious obsessiveness

In fact it has been proven to be true. After reading your post I remembered a book that mentions manna (the bread of heaven) and the quote is from Exodus, “16:3. It mentions that the Isrealites lived off manna and quails still found there, to survive in the desert. Even as late as the 14th Century,Arabs in the Sinai gathered manna which is a resin from the,Tamarisk tree found there.  A Louse bores into the branch and the dripping resin falls to the ground and is gathered up before melting. it is said to have a honey taste. So, that part at least is true. Now living off the stuff and birds for 40 years is a bit far fetched but as EOC pointed out that might be a code for a shorter passage of time. I’ve never read anything concerning how the Isrealites recorded time differently from a modern calendar ( the Chaldeans and Babylonians had a fairly accurate calendar BTW) but that’s another issue. My source is Keller’s “The Bible as History”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 May 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10

For sale—————-  Millions of Tons of bird Bones.

Manna, manna Bones.

Regards
DL

2 of 2