A Generation of Skeptics
Posted: 05 January 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-09-29

There is a project that I and several other atheists, agnostics, and non-religious college students have been working on. We are calling the project "A Generation of Skeptics" (working title). Send in your essays and stories describing why you believe what you believe and how you came to this conclusion. The top 20-25 will be published as a short anthology.

(Note, you will be informed if your story is selected for publication and nothing will be printed, published, or distributed without your final written permission… this basically means you can sue us for what little money we have if you ever find your story on the internet or elsewhere.)

We basically want this to be reminiscent of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books that were really popular a few years back… except with college students and skepticism being the core of the stories. I don’t want these to be purely analytical essays about why you don’t believe in a God, why religion is bad, etc.

They should be actual stories explaining one or several events which relate to skepticism, agnosticism, atheism, etc.

Here are some possible topics that would make for great stories:

- When you first realized there was no God.
- A time when you had to stand up and defend your skepticism
- A time when you spoke out against irrational religious beliefs
- How your family and/or friends reacted when you first came out as an atheist/ agnostic
- A time that you were discriminated against because of your skepticism
- How you helped to de-convert (if that’s the accepted term these days) a friend, family member, etc.

Don’t be afraid to come up with your own topics either. You can send me your first drafts, questions, comments, or abstracts proposing what you would like to write about to:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or you can always just message me, SGLawler.

One more note, try to get your stories to be a decent length. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-6000 words would be nice.

Namaste,

- Sean Goff

Again, message or e-mail Sean Goff with any questions, comments, or stories: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature 

"But what remains of your original assertion?"

Posted: 06 January 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

Re: A Generation of Skeptics

[quote author=“SGLawler”]One more note, try to get your stories to be a decent length. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-6000 words would be nice.

Bare minimum: “I’m athiest.”

(Will I be published?)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
On a more sencere note, I would like very much to submit an essay. This sounds like a great project and I wish you the best of luck!

Posted: 07 January 2007 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

[quote author=“Jaik”][Bare minimum: “I’m athiest.”

(Will I be published?)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I think being a wise-ass (having a quick wit and good sense of humor) is endemic among secular humanists.  LOL  LOL  LOL

Loved it.

Occam

Posted: 07 January 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-09-29

[quote author=“Jaik”][quote author=“SGLawler”]One more note, try to get your stories to be a decent length. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-6000 words would be nice.

Bare minimum: “I’m athiest.”

(Will I be published?)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
On a more sencere note, I would like very much to submit an essay. This sounds like a great project and I wish you the best of luck!

*Tips hat*

Signature 

"But what remains of your original assertion?"