The Pope Is Resigning
Posted: 27 February 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

There was just a pretty interesting interview on FreshAir

‘Behind The Scenes’ At The Vatican: The Politics Of Picking A New Pope
February 27, 2013

Fresh Air’s Dave Davies interviews veteran Vatican reporter John Thavis.
{...}
The years of his papacy had seen “moments of joy and light, but also difficult moments,” Pope Benedict XVI told some 100,000 spectators gathered in St. Peter’s Square Wednesday during his final address. “There have been times when the seas were rough and the wind against us ... and the Lord seemed to sleep.”

As Benedict becomes the first pontiff to resign in nearly 600 years and cardinals gather in Rome to choose his successor, a series of scandals — child sex abuse, mismanagement at the Vatican bank, the leaking of secret church documents — has left the Vatican reeling

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 27 February 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25

I think this is just another small nail in the coffin of religion. The Pope goes from being the right hand of God (in history) to being no better than some coach at Penn State.  Young folks hopefully are seeing through all the pomp and ceremony to see the whole thing for what it is. A horrible disease on humanity.

Posted: 27 February 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-02-02
CuthbertJ - 27 February 2013 08:53 PM

I think this is just another small nail in the coffin of religion. The Pope goes from being the right hand of God (in history) to being no better than some coach at Penn State.  Young folks hopefully are seeing through all the pomp and ceremony to see the whole thing for what it is. A horrible disease on humanity.

The laws of mass and inertia apply to organizations as well as physical objects.  It will be some time, I’m afraid, before the Church keels over.  When it happens, I hope someone shouts, “Giordano Bruno, thou art avenged!”  grin

2 of 2