2 of 4
Atheist Tattoos
Posted: 13 February 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Who needs a tattoo when you can get henna? I got one last year and it was a lot of fun: I felt really cool for about a week.  cool smirk But then it started to peel off and looked like a big melanoma lesion for another week.

fx3q00.jpg

Posted: 13 February 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

I’ve seen some pretty convincing henna tattoos too. Was yours a particular design or generic George? It’s hard to tell from the picture.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 February 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, nothing specific. Just some abstract thing. My kids got them, too. We felt like a gangsta bunch.

Posted: 13 February 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

No, nothing specific. Just some abstract thing. My kids got them, too. We felt like a gangsta bunch.

Where’s ya crib? South side Toronto?  cool smirk

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 February 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

South side Toronto is the Lake Ontario.  cheese

Posted: 13 February 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

South side Toronto is the Lake Ontario. 

Hmmm, ok how about north of Maple Leaf Square, and isn’t there an island before you get to the lake?  smile

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I had no idea we had a Maple Leaf Square, I had to google it. And yes, there is an island, I forgot about it. Have you been to Toronto, Jack?

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I had no idea we had a Maple Leaf Square, I had to google it. And yes, there is an island, I forgot about it. Have you been to Toronto, Jack?

Many moons ago George when I was at UK. A bunch of us were drinking a case of beer at our apt. one night and were bored, I believe it was the Spring of 1970, and one of my friends said, “hey, let’s drive to Toronto”. So we did. Toured the city then drove back the next day. All I remember is that it appeared to be cleaner than Lexington, and everyone we met was friendly. I haven’t been back since but would like to visit any historic sites that were missed when it was burned. Also Quebec and Montreal. On my bucket list. I long to hear Canadian French spoken. En Canadien Errant is one of my favorite French songs.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2013 06:23 AM

Tattoos make people look stupid. Most atheists are too intelligent to get tattoos.

You’re kidding, right? I’ve seen tattoos that would impress Renaissance artists. Some have incredible detail and adorn the skins of very intelligent people. being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet. And yes, they can be removed, painfully but permanently removed.

Cap’t Jack

—-

The art itself may have impressed Renaissance artists but I doubt they’d be impressed by how it’s displayed.  I have been impressed by the design of many tattoos, myself, but I don’t like the idea that they are put on skin.  You said that being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet.  But earrings and beacelets are not permanently imbedded in the skin, don’t cause pain and can be removed easily.  IMO, people who get tattoos haven’t thought it through and atheists, in my experience tend to think things through more than most people.  I could be wrong, of course, some atheists may be just as likely as anyone else to do ridiculous things to their bodies thoughtlessly.  It is just my my opinion but it’s based on the fact that I’ve seen few people who are known to me to be atheists that have tattoos. Your experience may be different.

Posted: 14 February 2013 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 13 February 2013 06:56 PM

Many moons ago George when I was at UK. A bunch of us were drinking a case of beer at our apt. one night and were bored, I believe it was the Spring of 1970, and one of my friends said, “hey, let’s drive to Toronto”. So we did. Toured the city then drove back the next day. All I remember is that it appeared to be cleaner than Lexington, and everyone we met was friendly. I haven’t been back since but would like to visit any historic sites that were missed when it was burned. Also Quebec and Montreal. On my bucket list. I long to hear Canadian French spoken. En Canadien Errant is one of my favorite French songs.

Cap’t Jack

I know that exact feeling!  cheese

Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack?

My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 February 2013 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I know that exact feeling! 

Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack?

My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!

The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it’s not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there’s still a hellova lot of this country I haven’t seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

The last time we went spontaneously on a trip was years ago when we still had only two kids. I remember we woke up one Monday morning and I told my wife I wasn’t busy at work and why don’t we drive to Florida. And so we did. We packed in about an hour and left; we forgot to bring any CDs with us except for the Supertramp one we had in the car and played it over and over all the way there. It was one of the most fun things we ever did.

Then I heard Pinker say one day that it is irresponsible to take a family on a road trip as it is statistically very dangerous and I’ve never done it again. Stupid statistics. long face

[ Edited: 14 February 2013 08:14 AM by George ]

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Then I heard Pinker say one day that it is irresponsible to take a family on a road trip as it is statistically very dangerous and I’ve never done it again. Stupid statistics.

Yeah, having a family really puts the kibosh The spontaneous road trips, especially with our granddaughters but hey, anyway you look at it every time you’re on the road you are at risk statistically as more people use their cell phones, do drugs, drink, read, turn to smack the kid to make him shut the hell up, play the radio on 10 (very distracting) daydream, or suffer from highway hypnosis. Solutions? Bring back rail service, make it high speed, and mass transportation. Make it cheap and accessible. extend metro lines out from major cities. But I guess that’s another topic. Oh, and you could fly instead of drive but if the sequester kicks in you’ll be waiting hours to get on the plane.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent.  smirk

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent. 

I know, but responsible can sometimes be Sooo not fun! Safe, but not fun.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

2 of 4