3 of 4
Atheist Tattoos
Posted: 14 February 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 10:10 AM

Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent. 

I know, but responsible can sometimes be Sooo not fun! Safe, but not fun.

Cap’t Jack

Sure, but there are many pros and cons to both driving and flying. It takes two hours to fly to Florida from Buffalo (much cheaper than flying from Toronto) versus the two days one needs to get there driving. Being in a car with kids for two days can be fun—if you forget about the non-fun part.

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

The art itself may have impressed Renaissance artists but I doubt they’d be impressed by how it’s displayed.  I have been impressed by the design of many tattoos, myself, but I don’t like the idea that they are put on skin.  You said that being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet.  But earrings and beacelets are not permanently imbedded in the skin, don’t cause pain and can be removed easily.  IMO, people who get tattoos haven’t thought it through and atheists, in my experience tend to think things through more than most people.  I could be wrong, of course, some atheists may be just as likely as anyone else to do ridiculous things to their bodies thoughtlessly.  It is just my my opinion but it’s based on the fact that I’ve seen few people who are known to me to be atheists that have tattoos. Your experience may be different.

IMO the only reason they wouldn’t be impressed is the desecration of “god’s temple” BS. Putting art on skin is obviously a matter of personal preference and is a form of outward expression for the wearer. It also has historic signifance, being imitated by British sailors who borrowed the idea from the Tahitians in the 1820’s. As to thinking it through, I’ve never met anyone with a tattoo who didn’t plan one, not just the art but the place to display it. Excepting prison tats (done by amateurs with primative tools), they all were tastefully done and accurate depictions of scenes, symbols or cartoons. And once again, any tattoo can be removed at will by a laser process that literally wipes out the ink. And as to atheists getting tattoos, atheism is merely a nonbelief in god, not adornment. Getting your body inked has no relation to your personal philosophy any more than stereotyping all intelligent kids on the playground as nearsighted nerds. Getting a tattoo doesn’t make you a member of a biker gang.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Dude, I’ve seen some god awful, and I mean GOD AWFUL, tattoos on people who spent a lot of time planning them out.  They just had a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE idea and never should have gotten it done.  (Like the one my gf’s sister has.  Good god that thing is stupid.  Shame on her.)  And tattoo removal isn’t really that easy.  It’s painful, expensive, and doesn’t always fully remove the ink even after several treatments.  In many cases it’s just cheaper and easier to cover the thing up with a different one.  Although that’s not always an option.  Like with a face tattoo.  No matter what you do, you still look like a toolbag.

And for a mountain of horrid, poorly done, and ill conceived tattoos go here.

EDIT
Added things.
And correctitudes.

[ Edited: 14 February 2013 10:45 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
harry canyon - 11 February 2013 04:28 PM

I find the single word glyphs in Asian languages to be quite humorous. LOL

“It means death.”
“Okay…. Why not cookie? Or even sex? Why death?” (Or honor or blah, blah, blah…)

Probably don’t need to worry, how many folks would know that’s an atheist symbol?

Take care,

Derek

Jeez and I thought it was a very neat variation of the Anarchy “A”  sick

yea, those Asian glyphs are cool, but on someone else, preferably a young cutie.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 13 February 2013 10:30 AM

What about this as a tattoo?

3168794.jpg

Cap’t Jack

LOL  LOL  LOL

OK now I gotta clean up the keyboard-
That’s a keeper!

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Agreed, but she’s really thinking about Moisha, the town rabbi.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Agreed, but she’s really thinking about Moisha, the town rabbi.

Occam

Oy, that Moishe, what a mensch!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 05:07 AM

I know that exact feeling! 

Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack?

My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!

The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it’s not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there’s still a hellova lot of this country I haven’t seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip!

Cap’t Jack

Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We’ve got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. grin (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 14 February 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
harry canyon - 14 February 2013 11:41 AM

Cap’t Jack

Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We’ve got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. grin (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

Have you been to the breweries in Berkeley or San Leandro yet? There is a winery in Alameda too.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 14 February 2013 02:00 PM
harry canyon - 14 February 2013 11:41 AM

Take care,

Derek

Have you been to the breweries in Berkeley or San Leandro yet? There is a winery in Alameda too.

Not yet. grin I wasn’t aware of one in San Leandro, that’s very close to home. I’ll have to look up the one(s) in Berkeley. (EDIT: Wait, I recall seeing one on our way the pottery store my wife likes…) I did get to sample the Full Boar Scottish Ale from Devil’s Canyon Brewery in Belmont at the Maker’s Faire a few years ago. Very tasty; smooth and a bit sweet. They also have an amazing root beer. Sadly they don’t sell commercially, just to bars/restaurants.

Recently we did finally stop by the Ghiradelli outlet store. (I don’t think we bought the whole store. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 14 February 2013 03:23 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We’ve got some sights to see if you ever get out this way.  (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. )

Just a quick response, doing nurses duty today as the Missus has a stomach virus with all of the usual fun that goes with it. We’ve been to So. Cal and spent a week with my cousins (paternal) near Santa Barbara. Beautiful! I did have an anchor steam beer there, several actually and liked it! Believe it or not our local watering hole sells it. Never been north of Santa Barbara but we traveled down to San Diego and took in the sites. Tourists! We even went to Hollywood. Next trip I’d like to head north and see your guys neck of the woods. Speaking of which, have you ever been out here? Spring and Fall are the two best times. Winters are grungy with rain and snow and Summers are unbearable due to the humidity. if I can figure it out I’ll post some pictures but don’t look for Darron quality photos!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 03:35 PM

Just a quick response, doing nurses duty today as the Missus has a stomach virus with all of the usual fun that goes with it. We’ve been to So. Cal and spent a week with my cousins (paternal) near Santa Barbara. Beautiful! I did have an anchor steam beer there, several actually and liked it! Believe it or not our local watering hole sells it. Never been north of Santa Barbara but we traveled down to San Diego and took in the sites. Tourists! We even went to Hollywood. Next trip I’d like to head north and see your guys neck of the woods. Speaking of which, have you ever been out here? Spring and Fall are the two best times. Winters are grungy with rain and snow and Summers are unbearable due to the humidity. if I can figure it out I’ll post some pictures but don’t look for Darron quality photos!

Cap’t Jack

I don’t recall exactly where you are? Ohio? If so, I’ve been into the state but not really spent any length of time there. My brother and I did spend many summers in Indiana with our grandparents. Lots of great memories there. grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t recall exactly where you are? Ohio? If so, I’ve been into the state but not really spent any length of time there. My brother and I did spend many summers in Indiana with our grandparents. Lots of great memories there.

Ah, so you’ve been near here anyway. I used to live in South Bend about half a mile from touchdown Jesus. I worked for a towel plant and delivered all over northern Indiana. The terrain there is nothing like our area though, Southern Ohio and the second least populated county in the State. The glacier didn’t get down this far so we still have hills. where in Indiana did you stay?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 03:51 PM

I don’t recall exactly where you are? Ohio? If so, I’ve been into the state but not really spent any length of time there. My brother and I did spend many summers in Indiana with our grandparents. Lots of great memories there.

Ah, so you’ve been near here anyway. I used to live in South Bend about half a mile from touchdown Jesus. I worked for a towel plant and delivered all over northern Indiana. The terrain there is nothing like our area though, Southern Ohio and the second least populated county in the State. The glacier didn’t get down this far so we still have hills. where in Indiana did you stay?

Cap’t Jack

We spent our time in central and southern Indiana. We did get up to the Dunes for camping once, but never the north eastern part of the state. We used to go camping in the beautiful wooded hills (far less boring than the endless fields of corn and soy!) of Brown County in southern Indiana. My grandparents owned (but didn’t ‘run’) a farm by Vicennes. We used to camp and fish there as well.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

We spent our time in central and southern Indiana. We did get up to the Dunes for camping once, but never the north eastern part of the state. We used to go camping in the beautiful wooded hills (far less boring than the endless fields of corn and soy!) of Brown County in southern Indiana. My grandparents owned (but didn’t ‘run’) a farm by Vicennes. We used to camp and fish there as well.

My brother lived in Terre Haute a few years back but I’ve never been to that part of Indiana before, mostly central and northern, and yeah a LOT of soybean and corn fields much like mid Ohio. We used to go to the dunes when we lived in South Bend and to Holland for the tulip festival, but not being into flowers it was boring for an 18 year old. Also, used drive to Greencastle. I dated a girl who went to Depaw U. Beautiful campus, and the girl wasn’t bad either! I played at the coffee house on campus where the post-beats hung out.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

3 of 4