4 of 4
Atheist Tattoos
Posted: 14 February 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

Sure, but there are many pros and cons to both driving and flying. It takes two hours to fly to Florida from Buffalo (much cheaper than flying from Toronto) versus the two days one needs to get there driving. Being in a car with kids for two days can be fun—if you forget about the non-fun part.

Speaking of Buffalo isn’t Traveler from there and what happened to him? We fly to Florida from Charleston airport in just under an hour and it’s cheaper than driving. It also gives us more time to enjoy the vacation.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 08:25 PM

Speaking of Buffalo isn’t Traveler from there and what happened to him?

I think I pissed him the hell off awhile ago.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24
harry canyon - 14 February 2013 11:41 AM
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 05:07 AM

I know that exact feeling! 

Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack?

My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!

The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it’s not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there’s still a hellova lot of this country I haven’t seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip!

Cap’t Jack

Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We’ve got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. grin (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

Don’t you California chauvinists start with your bragging! tongue wink

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
mid atlantic - 14 February 2013 08:41 PM
harry canyon - 14 February 2013 11:41 AM
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 05:07 AM

I know that exact feeling! 

Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack?

My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!

The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it’s not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there’s still a hellova lot of this country I haven’t seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip!

Cap’t Jack

Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We’ve got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. grin (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

Don’t you California chauvinists start with your bragging! tongue wink

Whatever are you talking about kind sir?

grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 08:25 PM

Sure, but there are many pros and cons to both driving and flying. It takes two hours to fly to Florida from Buffalo (much cheaper than flying from Toronto) versus the two days one needs to get there driving. Being in a car with kids for two days can be fun—if you forget about the non-fun part.

Speaking of Buffalo isn’t Traveler from there and what happened to him? We fly to Florida from Charleston airport in just under an hour and it’s cheaper than driving. It also gives us more time to enjoy the vacation.

Cap’t Jack

No idea what happened to him. I emailed him a while ago but he never responded. But Gary may know (?).

And TimB seems to be gone, too. I miss them both.

Posted: 15 February 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

A few months ago I contacted Traveller because he hadn’t been coming to our local potlucks.  What he told me was that he was too busy training for the decathlons thhat he participates in to come.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 15 February 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I hope he hasn’t run into a frozen waterfall while jogging. If you get to see him, Gary, tell him I said ‘hi.’

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 14 February 2013 10:28 AM

The art itself may have impressed Renaissance artists but I doubt they’d be impressed by how it’s displayed.  I have been impressed by the design of many tattoos, myself, but I don’t like the idea that they are put on skin.  You said that being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet.  But earrings and beacelets are not permanently imbedded in the skin, don’t cause pain and can be removed easily.  IMO, people who get tattoos haven’t thought it through and atheists, in my experience tend to think things through more than most people.  I could be wrong, of course, some atheists may be just as likely as anyone else to do ridiculous things to their bodies thoughtlessly.  It is just my my opinion but it’s based on the fact that I’ve seen few people who are known to me to be atheists that have tattoos. Your experience may be different.

IMO the only reason they wouldn’t be impressed is the desecration of “god’s temple” BS. Putting art on skin is obviously a matter of personal preference and is a form of outward expression for the wearer. It also has historic signifance, being imitated by British sailors who borrowed the idea from the Tahitians in the 1820’s. As to thinking it through, I’ve never met anyone with a tattoo who didn’t plan one, not just the art but the place to display it. Excepting prison tats (done by amateurs with primative tools), they all were tastefully done and accurate depictions of scenes, symbols or cartoons. And once again, any tattoo can be removed at will by a laser process that literally wipes out the ink. And as to atheists getting tattoos, atheism is merely a nonbelief in god, not adornment. Getting your body inked has no relation to your personal philosophy any more than stereotyping all intelligent kids on the playground as nearsighted nerds. Getting a tattoo doesn’t make you a member of a biker gang.

So how many tattoos do you have?  Tell us about them. smile

Cap’t Jack

Posted: 15 February 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I hope he hasn’t run into a frozen waterfall while jogging. If you get to see him, Gary, tell him I said ‘hi

Same here Gary, and I miss TimB too. They both posted some great discussions and backed their contentions with facts. I also miss Free in Ky. He was the only other Appalachian atheist on the forum.

Cap’t jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 February 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

So how many tattoos do you have?  Tell us about them.

Non sequitur. I’ve already mentioned that I have none and gave the reason back on post #10. As to my knowledge of tattoos, my son, an atheist has an Egyptian art tattoo on his right shoulder, the eye of Horus surrounded by a scarab beetle. A fellow teacher and friend, also an atheist,  has both upper arms covered in Maori tribal art. He visits New Zealand every Summer and bought a farm there, likes the culture and history of the natives. Your contention is that “tattoos make people look stupid”. That statement is subjective and it’s your opinion. I disagree totally, but you are entitled to your opinion. However, to say that “most atheists are too intelligent to get tattoos” is like saying the majority of Americans in the US are xtians: xtians are prevented from getting tattoos by biblical interpretation, therefore ALL xtians are intelligent because getting a tattoo is stupid. Your argument is faulty and based on a false cause. Of course you could poll atheists and see how many have tattoos and make your determination from that data but I suggest you don’t do it here. Forum members don’t seem to like polls much at all.

Of course I’m leaning towards a tat of my favorite naturalist:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amphibian_south_america/4646708900/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

I don’t have any tattoos myself. Not because I don’t like them or think they’re stupid. wink I’ve just never thought of one which I’d be willing to have the rest of my life.  cheese Although I’ve toyed with the family crest, but that’s probably not going to happen. Or if I had the money I’d consider portraits of my children, but that’s probably not going to happen either. LOL

So I’ll just keep being nosy and asking other folks about their tats. Anecdotal, but I’ve yet to find someone with tattoos who wasn’t willing to talk about them. (Then again, I’ve never asked anyone with ‘obvious’ prison tats either!)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 February 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 15 February 2013 02:52 PM

So how many tattoos do you have?  Tell us about them.

Non sequitur. I’ve already mentioned that I have none and gave the reason back on post #10. As to my knowledge of tattoos, my son, an atheist has an Egyptian art tattoo on his right shoulder, the eye of Horus surrounded by a scarab beetle. A fellow teacher and friend, also an atheist,  has both upper arms covered in Maori tribal art. He visits New Zealand every Summer and bought a farm there, likes the culture and history of the natives. Your contention is that “tattoos make people look stupid”. That statement is subjective and it’s your opinion. I disagree totally, but you are entitled to your opinion. However, to say that “most atheists are too intelligent to get tattoos” is like saying the majority of Americans in the US are xtians: xtians are prevented from getting tattoos by biblical interpretation, therefore ALL xtians are intelligent because getting a tattoo is stupid. Your argument is faulty and based on a false cause. Of course you could poll atheists and see how many have tattoos and make your determination from that data but I suggest you don’t do it here. Forum members don’t seem to like polls much at all.

Of course I’m leaning towards a tat of my favorite naturalist:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amphibian_south_america/4646708900/

Cap’t Jack

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks

4 of 4