1 of 2
Is God a boy or girl?
Posted: 14 February 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-04-25

I’m curious what a Christian might think if you asked them ‘Is God a boy or girl?’.  I think that little question gets to the heart of the psychological underpinning of their belief system. My guess would be most would say “boy”, none would say “girl” (even the girls), and maybe a few might say “none of the above, god’s an it”.

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Trying to explain why God is a guy and not a girl is probably the only good reason left to bring Freud into any discussion. Poor, old, good Freud. I guess he meant well, trying to be all scientific and stuff.

[ Edited: 14 February 2013 12:08 PM by George ]

Posted: 18 February 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Even when I believed in all that hoohah, I had trouble accepting that God was a dude.  I mean, if there’s only one and it has and always will be then why does it even need a gender?  It doesn’t need to reproduce, it has no society to assign it a gender role.  It made no sense even to my 14 year old brain.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 February 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

Even when I believed in all that hoohah, I had trouble accepting that God was a dude.  I mean, if there’s only one and it has and always will be then why does it even need a gender?  It doesn’t need to reproduce, it has no society to assign it a gender role.  It made no sense even to my 14 year old brain.

There’s an easy solution to this conundrum DM. just sneak up behind him when he isn’t looking, say while he’s conjuring up hurricane to kill thousands for allowing homosexual marriage, and peek under his robe! Seein’ is believein’!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 February 2013 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Come on all of you heathens.  Just read the old testament where they use the personal pronoun rather than the word “god”.  It’s always “he” or “him”.  Since they talked with that being, they would certainly have used “she” if it was a female or “it” if it were androgenous. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Come on all of you heathens.  Just read the old testament where they use the personal pronoun rather than the word “god”.  It’s always “he” or “him”.  Since they talked with that being, they would certainly have used “she” if it was a female or “it” if it were androgenous.

Wha… Gasp, are you trying to say that the bible was written entirely by men with no input from females at any stage of its development? and that the bible reflects the paternalistic society of the authors? I mean if you control all aspects of your culture why can’t you make your god a macho male who dominates and kills indiscriminately anyone who gets in his way? I mean would a woman grow a long white beard and turn herself into a burning bush just to talk to his pal? I think not. Personally I used to think that god was androgynous.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 18 February 2013 10:32 AM

There’s an easy solution to this conundrum DM. just sneak up behind him when he isn’t looking, say while he’s conjuring up hurricane to kill thousands for allowing homosexual marriage, and peek under his robe! Seein’ is believein’!

I don’t know, man.  According to the Bible, just looking at the face of God results in death.  I don’t even want to think of what would happen if I tried to sneak a peek at Its no-nos.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t know, man.  According to the Bible, just looking at the face of God results in death.  I don’t even want to think of what would happen if I tried to sneak a peek at Its no-nos.

Yeah DM, but the bible doesn’t say anything about checking out its no nos!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 February 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

True. That is true. Still, I think I’ll pass. It is an asexual, cosmic space-thing. It probably has a horrible squid-face under there that’ll turn me into a living mummy or something.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

True. That is true. Still, I think I’ll pass. It is an asexual, cosmic space-thing. It probably has a horrible squid-face under there that’ll turn me into a living mummy or something.

Ah ha! This is where the flying spaghetti monster really lives. How’s that for irony?!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2011-09-13
CuthbertJ - 14 February 2013 11:38 AM

I’m curious what a Christian might think if you asked them ‘Is God a boy or girl?’.  I think that little question gets to the heart of the psychological underpinning of their belief system. My guess would be most would say “boy”, none would say “girl” (even the girls), and maybe a few might say “none of the above, god’s an it”.

There is no way that something that does not exist could be either.

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

There is no way that something that does not exist could be either.

Oh yeah Deros? Zeus is a guy, so is Wotan and Ahura Mazda, and Allah, and all of their prophets are guys too. And none of them existed either. And the women are just temptresses and minions of the evil gods, eve as an example. She was responsible for all babies being born bad.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 February 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Amaterasu, the central deity of Shintoism, is a chick.  Bast was one of the most beloved of the ancient Egyptian pantheon.  In Hinduism, Adi Parashakti is the ultimate creator and destroyer of the universe.  And for how sexist the Greeks were, they loved Athena.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4066
Joined  2010-08-15

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNwHj95OQUnCHVCBCim7gJqM6cld-OPvDzwJzdRNGkWBP7We0z

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 20 February 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Amaterasu, the central deity of Shintoism, is a chick.  Bast was one of the most beloved of the ancient Egyptian pantheon.  In Hinduism, Adi Parashakti is the ultimate creator and destroyer of the universe.  And for how sexist the Greeks were, they loved Athena.

Yeah DM, but all of the guy god’s can beat the crap out of the gal gods. How many of them can throw lightening bolts and pitch hammers? Ok, I’ll give you Athena as she is the patron goddess of wisdom, war, industry and the arts and she did defeat the Amazons in a stand up fight. I also like her helmet, and she hung out with Nike. The rest of em’? Pishaw!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 February 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 20 February 2013 11:00 AM

Yeah DM, but all of the guy god’s can beat the crap out of the gal gods. How many of them can throw lightening bolts and pitch hammers? Ok, I’ll give you Athena as she is the patron goddess of wisdom, war, industry and the arts and she did defeat the Amazons in a stand up fight. I also like her helmet, and she hung out with Nike. The rest of em’? Pishaw!

Well, Amaterasu isn’t just the sun goddess, she’s the sun itself (and in later myths, the universe itself).  So I think she would win against a douche like Zeus.  And the universe pretty much only exists because Adi Parashakti allows it to.  That sort of trumps everything.

Signature 

1 of 2