2 of 2
You Know The Going Theory For Why Our Early Ancestors Started Standing Upright? Yeah, About That…
Posted: 27 February 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Good catch

Thevillageatheist - 22 February 2013 11:55 AM

The theory goes that as the grasslands spread our ancestors were forced out of the forests and into the savannahs and evolution took hold, favoring a more upright posture because we could see further and so on.  Being upright wasn’t really an advantage in the forests because the lousy trees blocked line of sight.  The two developed at more or less the same time.  Makes sense.

The problem with her theory is that she failed to take into account that a bipedal species had already been found in the forestlands. It was Ardipithicus Ramidus. The remains date to 4.4 million years BCE although some paleoanthroplogists speculate that the area was mixed grassland and forest. And just when something makes sense. Science, go figure!

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/ardipithecus-ramidus

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 27 February 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

That’s what I like about science; throw out a hypothesis based on the evidence at hand then along comes new evidence to knock it off it’s pedestal. This is a fascinating subject that so far leads back over 6 million years and counting! Oh to be 30 again.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 February 2013 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 27 February 2013 08:02 PM

That’s what I like about science; throw out a hypothesis based on the evidence at hand then along comes new evidence to knock it off it’s pedestal.

I just read an interesting book called The Half-Life of Facts, where the author Samuel Arbesman explains why and how our knowledge changes all the time. What’s most striking, is that you can actually apply a formula to how fast what we know changes.

Posted: 28 February 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

I just read a review of the book George and am putting it on my reading list. It seems to dovetail into the idea that the “facts” change when new information is uncovered. No planet status for Pluto! And my armillary sphere is now innacurate. But it does make a good conversation piece. Does the book include neuroscience or how facts are altered by new evidence only?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 February 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Jack, read it only if you have nothing else on your list. It’s okay, but the whole book is much longer than it needed to be. And I don’t recall anything specific on neuroscience, but it does cover the evolution of our medical knowledge. IIRC, in medicine it takes about ninety years for the yearly contributions to double. In genetics it was about thirty years, one third of the time when compared to medicine.

Posted: 28 February 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Oh, I misunderstood your question, Jack. No, it doesn’t talk about how we evolve to interpret new knowledge (if that’s what you meant by neuroscience), bur rather it discusses the “science of science.” And, of course, Galton is the hero in the book—letting you know just in case you are as much of Galton’s fan as I am. Francis Galton is my god, and a part of the holy trinity along with Darwin and Aristotle. I worship all three of them.

2 of 2