6 of 6
Overrated And Underrated Artists
Posted: 19 April 2014 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

I’m of the generation that completely grew up with hip-hop, but I have never been much of a fan - outside of some people like Cypress Hill or OutKast.......some of their stuff is Ok.

I do like the Trip hop genre, although that doesn’t use much rapping, just the hip hop style beats. IMO, Hip hop is just as much an art as any other popular music.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 April 2014 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

As a Hollander I grew up with American music, but because I could not understand the words, I always concentrated on the music itself. I am sure this is why I drifted towards jazz, which emphasizes musicality and improvisation.

For me the problem with rap is that I don’t understand a word of the poetry and musically it has little merit.

Thus, I am sorry to say that in accordance with my signature, rap does not qualify as musical art.  I would classify it as rhythmical poetry, still an art form, but not music.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 April 2014 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-09-07

@Write, I agree with your analysis that hip-hop is rhythm-driven music with much emphasis on the low end of the sound spectrum. However, as regards to it’s poetic content I disagree. If poetry is meant to be spoken and not read, nothing qualifies better than a rap lyric done right. Emcees that readily come to mind include Rahkim, Kool G Rap, Common, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, etc. These are nothing short of modern day poets/musicians.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 19 April 2014 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-09-07
mid atlantic - 19 April 2014 12:02 AM

I’m of the generation that completely grew up with hip-hop, but I have never been much of a fan - outside of some people like Cypress Hill or OutKast.......some of their stuff is Ok.

I do like the Trip hop genre, although that doesn’t use much rapping, just the hip hop style beats. IMO, Hip hop is just as much an art as any other popular music.

Yeah Outcast is cool, so too is Cypress Hill, however I think there is a whole world of other equally deserving if not superior rap artists to reckon with - both old and new school.

As for Trip-Hop, I bop to that music too. I’m glad you appreciate the fact that it is an offshoot of Hip-Hop. Another art form that is parallel to Hip-Hop is spoken word, particularly to the lyrical aspect of rap.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

6 of 6