East/Southeast Asia 1
Total Votes: 22
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Where are you?
Posted: 09 January 2007 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m just curious where the members of this forum tend to be located. I seem to see lots of folks from outside the U.S, even though the sponsoring organization for these boards is headquartered in that country. I suspect secularism, and maybe humanism, are more widespread outside the U.S., though I don’t have any data on that. I do know we’re generally a lot more religious than most of the rest of the developed world.

I made up the regional categories off the top of my head, so I apologize in advance for any geographic ethnocentrism grin

Any comments?

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 09 January 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Interesting question, Brennen. I think the CFI sees itself as an international (or in their infelicitous description, “transnational”) organization ... so while it is located in the US, it strives to form something on a global scale.

That is, of course, the general enlightenment program.

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 January 2007 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

One of the reasons that more secular humanists are showing up in North America might be because of the more religious climate here.  In other countries where it isn’t even an issue, people may not have as much motivation to declare themselves.  We may be more active to voice our opposition to that religious climate.

Occam

Posted: 11 January 2007 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Where the hell is east and south east asia on your poll?

Posted: 11 January 2007 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Where the hell is east and south east asia on your poll

Oops!  :oops:

Thanks cgallaga. I thought I made a space for it, but maybe I didn’t click the ‘add’ button or somehting. My apologies to the ~ 25% of the world’s population who live there!

Doug, if you know how to add the missing option onto an already created poll, I’d appreciate it.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 11 January 2007 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“mckenzievmd”]Doug, if you know how to add the missing option onto an already created poll, I’d appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I don’t. I think that polls on forums are intentionally not modifiable, for good reason, since if they were, people could vote and then have the poll changed after they voted to make it appear they voted in a way they didn’t intend to.

So the only recourse is to make a new poll, unfortunately. If you like, we can delete this one. Depends on you.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 January 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Don’t have to delete this poll.  I added Southeast asia. The thing to remember about doing polls in this program is to add a blank one after your last one.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 11 January 2007 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

You’re absolutely right, atheistheretic. They were not modifiable on another program ... I didn’t see how to do it here, but now I do. Thanks!

Signature 

Doug