2 of 2
Understanding Believers in Pararnormal and New Age Ideas
Posted: 28 May 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  946
Joined  2005-01-14

For awhile there, I actually LIKED Ghost Hunters.  I thought once people saw how pathetic the “evidence” for the paranormal really was they’d wise up.  But now it’s how many years later and still going strong.  It’s depressing!

Posted: 30 May 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-05-29

Hi.
Before becoming an atheist, I took a meander into the world of new-age and spirituality. When you’re in that mindset, anything seems possible because you use visualization to convince your brain this stuff is real. This is enhanced when you read fantasy and sci-fi novels. Nothing wrong in reading this of course, just that I experienced that it was easier to believe in this when my imagination was stimulated.
Anyway, just wanted to give you this perspective.

Posted: 02 June 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2013-06-01

My analogy for beliefs is investment theory.  I have varying faith in different beliefs that are revealed by my choices as I live.  For example, maybe naturalism/atheism 40%, pantheism 20%, vague Christianity 10%, etc.  The percentages change too.

Also I unconsciously invest more in beliefs that I find exciting.  Wouldn’t it be great if UFOs are real?  These beliefs are high risk but high return for me.

I suspect there is a gray area between normal and psychotic.  Just as people go in and out of hypnotic trance throughout the day, maybe people experience hallucinations and illusions much more than most realize.  Or maybe some people’s brains don’t like the loose-ends of coincidence and tend to invent causes and patterns.

2 of 2