1 of 3
Testing and spreading the truth
Posted: 18 March 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18

I have posted many of my thoughts in: http://www.angeloftruth.com/content.  Please read and critique.  If you do not agree I would love to hear from you.  If you do agree, then pass this link on to others.  In this site you will find the answer sought by the “what does religion provide” in this month’s “Free Inquiry”.  I’ll give you a preview, the answer is ‘control of human slavery’ and the site provides my supporting information.  I also have some logical and scientific insight into why all of humanity has some belief in a deity that the slavers have cleverly used for their profits.  I will get into this later.  This involves identifying ‘god’ as a reality but not a ‘thing’ that exists anywhere.

Posted: 18 March 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

A.K.

I don’t have time to read your entire essay at thiis point, I have scanned it and agree with its general thrust.  A book you might find interesting is “Athanasius and Constantantius” by Timothy D Barnes.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 March 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Many of the posters in this forum have expressed many of the thoughts you purport to. BUT…none needs a pompous sounding website to do it.  “Angel of Truth”...give me a break.

Posted: 19 March 2013 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-18

Truth is our only ‘angel’.  How would YOU broadcsast it?  I am considering writing a book, but I tend to reduce everything down to it’s most compact form, so it would take lots of repetition to fill a book.  ...and my research continues… I try to stick to the facts of historty, extracted out of a sea of lies and bullshit and religion imposed propaganda that we all live in.  Much has to be extrapolated because it appears that much of pre-313 history has been destroyed and/or re-written along with the total destruction of all of the accumulated technology.  Right now I am looking for a connection between the destruction of civilizations in the Americas and Europe’s (christian) “Dark ages”, 313-1300AD or so.  Look at all the christian theocrats (republicans) do and you will see the evidence of their slave control schemes and tactics, imposed poverty, ignorance, and terror.  Did the Romans destroy the Mayan civilizastion?

Posted: 19 March 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

Did the Romans destroy the Mayan civilizastion?

Well, I suppose if one holds the idea that the Catholic Church is a direct continuation of the Roman Empire, then perhaps the case could be made that the Romans did destroy the Mayan civilization.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 19 March 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15302
Joined  2006-02-14
Jeciron - 19 March 2013 08:22 AM

Well, I suppose if one holds the idea that the Catholic Church is a direct continuation of the Roman Empire, then perhaps the case could be made that the Romans did destroy the Mayan civilization.

Not really. The Maya civilization went into collapse centuries before the Spanish conquest.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 March 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Well, I suppose the Church could have been told about the heathens by God and prayed to Him to smite them.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 March 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Arthur, I looked In on your site and skimmed through a few or your entries and it appears that you are taking a subjective approach to history as motivated by xtianity. Your first entry however, is confusing in that your claim of a god creating the universe can’t be substantiated, or are you parodying xtian thought? Also, as to writing a book on the subject, you had better be prepared to expand it to a series. Remember, it took Will and Ariel Durant 11 volumes to write a history of civilization and there’s lots of room for digression. But it is an interesting subject to trace through history from early Roman xtianity to today. Good luck!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 March 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Arthur King - 19 March 2013 06:44 AM

Truth is our only ‘angel’.  How would YOU broadcsast it?  I am considering writing a book, but I tend to reduce everything down to it’s most compact form, so it would take lots of repetition to fill a book.  ...and my research continues… I try to stick to the facts of historty, extracted out of a sea of lies and bullshit and religion imposed propaganda that we all live in.  Much has to be extrapolated because it appears that much of pre-313 history has been destroyed and/or re-written along with the total destruction of all of the accumulated technology.  Right now I am looking for a connection between the destruction of civilizations in the Americas and Europe’s (christian) “Dark ages”, 313-1300AD or so.  Look at all the christian theocrats (republicans) do and you will see the evidence of their slave control schemes and tactics, imposed poverty, ignorance, and terror.  Did the Romans destroy the Mayan civilizastion?

There are a lot of different “truths” in the social sciences and the study of human society.  Remember they are not physics or chemistry.
Religion is just one more human invention, one more tool that can be used for good or bad.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 19 March 2013 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-18
Jeciron - 19 March 2013 08:22 AM

All of the ‘christian’ cults make up the Roman Empire, under the new name of ‘christendom’.

Posted: 19 March 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-18
Thevillageatheist - 19 March 2013 10:32 AM

Arthur, I looked In on your site and skimmed through a few or your entries and it appears that you are taking a subjective approach to history as motivated by xtianity. Your first entry however, is confusing in that your claim of a god creating the universe can’t be substantiated, or are you parodying xtian thought? Also, as to writing a book on the subject, you had better be prepared to expand it to a series. Remember, it took Will and Ariel Durant 11 volumes to write a history of civilization and there’s lots of room for digression. But it is an interesting subject to trace through history from early Roman xtianity to today. Good luck!

Cap’t Jack

I’m beginning to change my mind about ‘creation’ and am looking at evidence that ‘god’ is a product of Earthly evolution just like the gnats and alligators.

Posted: 19 March 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-18

Cap’t Jack

Christianity is the most powerful force on this Earth at the moment and it cannot be ignored in any analysis of history, post 313AD.  The destruction of civilization Europe by christianity’s ‘dark ages’ and the simultaneous disappearance of budding civilizations in the Americas looks like an interesting subject to pursue.  I see a vast destruction of historical records and all existing technology ocurring with the creation of christisanity by the Romans.  I know that they controlled the slaves with imposed poverty, ignorance, and terror which is probably the reason that all technology and the history of it was was completely suppressed and destroyed. Perhaps there is a fact that the Romans were making inroads into the Americas that far back that has been suppressed and destroyed.

Posted: 19 March 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
CuthbertJ - 18 March 2013 03:07 PM

Many of the posters in this forum have expressed many of the thoughts you purport to. BUT…none needs a pompous sounding website to do it.  “Angel of Truth”...give me a break.

I agree; Angel Of Truth will likely rub a non-theist audience the wrong way.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 March 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
Arthur King - 19 March 2013 12:31 PM

Cap’t Jack

Perhaps there is a fact that the Romans were making inroads into the Americas that far back that has been suppressed and destroyed.

Some rationalists might interpret this as a pseudo-archaeological slant, that interferes with your criticism of the church.

I only mention it because could cost you some potential readers. You know how skeptics are!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 March 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Christianity is the most powerful force on this Earth at the moment and it cannot be ignored in any analysis of history, post 313AD.  The destruction of civilization Europe by christianity’s ‘dark ages’ and the simultaneous disappearance of budding civilizations in the Americas looks like an interesting subject to pursue.  I see a vast destruction of historical records and all existing technology ocurring with the creation of christisanity by the Romans.  I know that they controlled the slaves with imposed poverty, ignorance, and terror which is probably the reason that all technology and the history of it was was completely suppressed and destroyed. Perhaps there is a fact that the Romans were making inroads into the Americas that far back that has been suppressed and destroyed.

That’s a good thesis to start off as the Christianized Romans sought to stamp out paganism (they were the pagans at first!) and with it Greek philosophy. And BTW all of the classical civilizations incorporated slavery until replaced by technology and even then it continued as a practice until well into the late 19Th Century in the Western World. As to the Romans being here, there is no evidence of Western contact until the Viking explorations in the 900’s. You could say that in an obtuse way Roman influenced countries such as Spain and Portugal extended the method of conquering more primative cultures (as the Romans did to our Celtic ancestors) but these cultures were wiped out in the main by diseases born by the whites, see the book “1491”, a great read. Also, in reference to the “Dark Ages” brought about by the Goths; they were Christians as well, but heretics who followed Bishop Arian. Just remember what I mentioned about digression! You’ve brought up Sooo many interesting topics it’s like jumping in your horse and riding off in all directions at once. It would be difficult to focus your attention on one even if you tie them all together with the thread of xtianity.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 March 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Some rationalists might interpret this as a pseudo-archaeological slant, that interferes with your criticism of the church.

I only mention it because could cost you some potential readers. You know how skeptics are!

Good point Mike, the archeology has to be used to bolster the claim of Western contact in the Americas and there’s a lot of wild and unfounded speculation out there going way back, e.g. The Indians are descended from two of the “lost” tribes of Isreal, the Kensington stone proves that Vikings settled in the Midwest, Olmec head sculptures prove that Asians settled in MesoAmerica and of course the aliens, always the aliens. Indians were too stupid to have built the pyramids of the Sun and Moon, they had to have the help of the” Grey” people.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 3