2 of 2
New Boredom
Posted: 23 March 2013 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

Quite tired of it; particularly, because I would like to think Catholicism and religion is slowing fading out each generation. But ultimately, I do kind of think it’s just tradition to talk about the pope, kind of like turkey on thanksgiving.

Posted: 24 March 2013 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3196
Joined  2011-08-15

Let’s not count the pope and his billion and a half followers out yet. Certainly catholicism is declining in the first World countries but not in the poorer third World. It’s literally all they can cling to and Francis has (or so it seems) set his sights on improving their plight. He also pledged to pressure mining and agribusinesses to cut back the rape of the environment. After all St. Francis IS the patron saint of ecologists! And he also needs to clean up that nasty pedophilia problem left by his predessor. If he can accomplish that then more power to him. what remains to be seen is if this is just rhetoric or will he maintain the churches position as usual. The Catholics have a good chance to come out ahead here if Francis holds true to his word. If not then they’re going to be a lot fewer Catholics in the fold.

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/03/pope-francis-raises-hopes-for-an-ecological-church/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 March 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I heard an interview yesterday with a researcher who claims the world’s population is moving strongly into the economic middle class.  He recognized that there are still a great many poor, and that the U.S. isn’t doing as well in that direction as most of the rest of the world.  He pointed out that the median income in China now exceeds that of England.

I wonder if there’s been any studies correlating religious belief with economic status.  I have a gut feeling, although not strong, that the correlation is negative.  That is, as one becomes more financially independent, one relies less on religion.

If that’s correct, possibly we’ll see the major religions shrink.

Occam

edited to add missing word.

[ Edited: 26 March 2013 05:56 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 March 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I wonder if there’s been any studies correlating religious belief with economic status.  I have a gut feeling, although not strong, that the correlation is negative.  That is, as one becomes more financially independent, one relies less on religion.

I understand the corelation/causation thing but I’m with you on the economic status. One 19th Century pundit stated that “the rich have science while the poor have religion”. I take that to mean what it says and there have been studies even here that show a corelation of higher learning (university degrees or continuously self taught) that show this. Tying it to economics, the more you learn, the more you earn; the more you earn the less likely you are to be religious. The variable here is also region and community e.g. The South where religion is much more culturally important.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

The South where religion is much more culturally important.

And gov’t much less ‘extensive’ in supporting the poor and disadvantaged.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 March 2013 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

And the irony here is that these states have the MOST evangelical xtians who pattern themselves after the man who preached that his followers are supposed to aid the poor. Oh, wait a minute, what about the “Protestant work ethic”? The lord helps them what helps themselves, an that by god’s in th bible!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Thevillageatheist - 26 March 2013 04:27 AM

And the irony here is that these states have the MOST evangelical xtians who pattern themselves after the man who preached that his followers are supposed to aid the poor. Oh, wait a minute, what about the “Protestant work ethic”? The lord helps them what helps themselves, an that by god’s in th bible!

Cap’t Jack

Everyone picks the parts of the Bible that supports their own beliefs and ignores the parts that are in opposition.  LOL

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
garythehuman - 26 March 2013 08:32 AM
Thevillageatheist - 26 March 2013 04:27 AM

Cap’t Jack

Everyone picks the parts of the Bible that supports their own beliefs and ignores the parts that are in opposition.  LOL

True, except for those who don’t use the bible to support their philosophies at all. IMO, the bible is useless as a guide for anything. It’s a hindrance to clear thinking and morality.

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

IMO, the bible is useless as a guide for anything. It’s a hindrance to clear thinking and morality

I tend to disagree with that.  True the Bible is the work of humans, not of any all-knowing God.  If you examine the Bible in context, it various parts as well as the whole “book of books’ has been and still is for a large part of humanity, a motivating factor, has provided a common terminology for much of Western Civilization, it statrted as a group of basically ‘political statements’ that was used to bring a bunch of nomads and escaped slaves trogether to invade Canaan and has been used in many ways sunce.  To understand the development of Western Civilization you cannot avoid the Bible.

I do agree that the current fundamentalist interpertation of the Bible as an unerring guide to life is wrong.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 31 March 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06
Lois - 21 March 2013 03:38 PM
garythehuman - 21 March 2013 07:39 AM
GdB - 19 March 2013 11:31 PM

A reason to be interested in it could be that the Catholic church still is a power. What the pope says and does might (yes, might… I am not sure) have some influence on millions of Catholics. So even that I think the Catholic church is a silly irrational institution, I rather see a pope that cares more about people than about theology (at least compared to his predecessor).

Good luck in finding one.  Francis is not it, I will guarantee it. He will soon make a pronouncement that proves he cares a whole lot more for theology Han any person. 

—Its not that I am not interested, but the ceromonies are being over reported to the exclusion of many other important events.  ie. New gov’t bieng formed in Isreal Kenya’s new Pres.  Sudan and S Sudan new agreement on oil.  Mexico’s reform of telecommunications and television regulations. etc.  Greenlands elections and how itm could affect the supplu of rare earths, etc.

Also I noticed, at least here locally that all the priests being interviewed are Americans either of Polish, Irish or Italian descent in spite of the many local priests foriegn born and none of those I have seen being interviewed have any Spainish speaking cultural background.

Well, since it’s actually the big Sky Daddy himself who is picking the Popes, he obviously has biases. Did anyone really think otherwise?

Sorry to bring up an “old” post, but wanted to comment on the last sentence about biases, Lois.

A good point I heard recently is, why is that HUMANS have to vote on the GOD ordained pope?

2 of 2