3 of 4
Role of gov’t in the economy.
Posted: 26 March 2013 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3163
Joined  2011-08-15

Lot’s of things can be theoretical,  but lets say that government made no laws regarding the economy. How does that happen?  Through government? Why would that happen.

The government (ours) could back away and adopt a lassez faire economic attitude as it did in the late 19th Century, but we know the results of that policy, e,g. corruption, extreme poverty, and starvation wages, not to mention shoddy goods and inedible food to name a few. The government can’t back away from the economy as it’s irrevocably tied to it. Government and economy are symbiotic. We use government as a shield and as a job creator. I know that sounds an alarm in the minds of the teapartiers but millions of us rely on the government for jobs. In fact, this discussion generated the main planks of both party platforms as it relates to government spending and the tax issue. IMO, as to government and economy; one can’t exist without the other. And as to economy being a religion, it is a philosophy and I guess one can at times “worship” the all mighty dollar but where’s the dogma? Do we use “The Wealth of Nations” as our bible and revere Adam Smith as the prophet? No true Scotsman. (for the literal among us I’m being facetious).

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Psy-The government is a big factor in the economy and has become a bigger factor since The Depression and World War II.

The “govt” if we refer to it as the US Constitution has been a big “factor” in the economy since 1776!! It’s not only what YOU perceive as the gov’t Proactively Steering the economy!! Gov’t/economy is also the absence of control on the economy by the gov’t!  Which in essence makes them one! For why would that be an ideology?  Would that be economy forming gov’t, or govt forming economy?
Of course, aside from that, it is quite obvious that alot of The US Constitution deals with “economic freedom”. So what came first?  The chicken or the egg?

The Census Bureau helped finance UNIVAC. Giant organizations like corporations and the govenrment could not function without computers and World War II forced the development of large sacle organizational techniques.  But the entire concept of land ownership and deeds involves the governmet along with printing money.

question You’re supporting my argument here!

But the government does not control people’s economic activity.  Just tries to tax it.

There are many examples of “gov’t” controlling people’s economic activity. Many. But that highlights my point. You state that gov’t doesn’t control people’s
economic activity.  The areas where it does control the economy highlights the area where it “doesn’t control it”—hence control by default.
The lack of controls indicates an impetus for non-control.  Where does that impetus come from? 
Obviously we know there are many petitioners seeking less control. These petitioners are actually seeking to control government!!(or the economy-they’re the same thing)
That’s govt/economy.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 26 March 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Village.  I will gladly accept the term “symbiotic”.  That’s good enough for me. Just barely.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 26 March 2013 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

The point I have made here is the proper way to phrase the title of this thread is:  “What is the people’s role in the Govconomy or Economent?”
That’s what it really boils down to!! 1000%
Framing it as a Government vs. Economy rule is inherently beneficial to the wealthy.
What is the people’s role in Govt/Economy?
The lobbyists, the petitioners, the politicians, the interest groups, the watchdogs, the poor, labor, industry etc etc etc…..

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  3163
Joined  2011-08-15

Vy, have you read Charles and Mary Beard’s book “An Economic Intpretation of the Constitution”? They posit that the founding fathers created the Constitution, hence the American Government for economic freedom. Each of them had a stake in allowing for less governmental control of the economy allowing for greater profits and great opportunities for the accumulation of wealth. They tie government and the economy together. It’s an interesting read although it’s a bit dated.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

The government can’t back away from the economy as it’s irrevocably tied to it.

Just so you know, EVERYTHING is tied to economy. EVERYTHING. Government or no.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Hmmnn, where does IT make these decisions? In a cave somewhere, up on a mountain?

Did you even bother reading the WHOLE of my post instead of highlighting a small portion of it to contrive a strawman?

Of course you didn’t.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 26 March 2013 07:04 AM

Hmmnn, where does IT make these decisions? In a cave somewhere, up on a mountain?

Did you even bother reading the WHOLE of my post instead of highlighting a small portion of it to contrive a strawman?

Of course you didn’t.

EOC, when you quote someone please leave the attribution. I know neither who you are quoting nor the context of the quote.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  4298
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 26 March 2013 07:22 AM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 26 March 2013 07:04 AM

Of course you didn’t.

EOC, when you quote someone please leave the attribution. I know neither who you are quoting nor the context of the quote.

context, you want stinking context   mad

What fun is that,  blank stare  put’s such limitations on the ability to interpret what a person was saying   kiss

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m trying to figure out why someone would think an Information Technology department could live in a cave.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
DarronS - 26 March 2013 07:42 AM

I’m trying to figure out why someone would think an Information Technology department could live in a cave.

Actually they do use (man-made) ‘caves’ in case of a natural or man-made (nuclear) disaster.  In West Virginia and Montana I think.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

When I first read Stiglitz’s quote my impression was that what he was referring to is that Economics today is being used in a manner similar manner that religious theology was before the Enlightenment; to create context for a political structure to support the position landed aristocracy in those days and the monied aristocracy today

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

What I wonder is if Stiglitz believes that only what other economists say is “theology” or if it includes his wisdom as well.

Posted: 26 March 2013 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 26 March 2013 07:02 AM

The government can’t back away from the economy as it’s irrevocably tied to it.

Just so you know, EVERYTHING is tied to economy. EVERYTHING. Government or no.

I agree wholeheartedly EOC.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 26 March 2013 01:33 PM

What I wonder is if Stiglitz believes that only what other economists say is “theology” or if it includes his wisdom as well.

Hopefully he understands that his is part of the “theology”. But who knows?

Signature 

3 of 4