Creationist stakes $10,000 on contest between Bible and evolution
Posted: 26 March 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Any takers?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/25/creationist-trial-bible-genesis-evolution

Creationist stakes $10,000 on contest between Bible and evolution
Creator of Literal Genesis Trial believes people who argue in favor of evolution are at a scientific disadvantage
Amanda Holpuch
guardian.co.uk, Monday 25 March 2013 15.46 EDT

A California creationist is offering a $10,000 challenge to anyone who can prove in front of a judge that science contradicts the literal interpretation of the book of Genesis.

Dr Joseph Mastropaolo, who says he has set up the contest, the Literal Genesis Trial, in the hope of improving the quality of arguments between creationists and evolutionists, has pledged to put $10,000 of his own money into an escrow account before the debate. His competitor would be expected to do the same. The winner would take the $20,000 balance.
The argument would not be made in a formal court, but under an alternative dispute resolution model known as a minitrial. Mastropaolo said he would present the argument in favor of a literal interpretation of the creation story once he had found a willing scientist to argue that a non-literal interpretation of Genesis is more scientific.

“They [evolutionists] are not stupid people, they are bright, but they are bright enough to know there is no scientific evidence they can give in a minitrial,” Mastropaolo said.

A minitrial differs from a regular trial because it does not need to be held in a courthouse and does not require the presence of traditional court figures. Mastropaolo plans to have a bailiff and court reporter in attendance, along with the judge. Contest rules state that evidence must be scientific, which means it is “objective, valid, reliable and calibrated”.
Mastropaolo believes that evolution cannot be proved scientifically. “It turns out that there is nothing in the universe [that] is evolving, everything is devolving, everything is going in the opposite direction,” he said.

Mastropaolo started making public arguments in favor of creationism about 13 years ago, after reading an article about evolution in the newspaper. He has a PhD in kinesiology and taught biomechanics and physiology at a California university for more than 25 years. He is now a contributing writer at the Creation Science Hall of Fame, which is collaborating with him for the minitrial. The Creation Science Hall of Fame is a website, launched in February 2012, that honors those who have made contributions to creation science.
A majority of scientists disavow creationism, but a June 2012 Gallup poll showed that 46% of Americans believed in a literal interpretation of the biblical version of creation. Legislation to allow students to be taught religious versions of the creation of life is currently being considered in four states.

The Literal Genesis Trial contest would be held in a courthouse in Santa Ana, California and Mastropaolo has said he will create a list of potential superior court judges to decide the case. The participants would have to agree on a judge. Mastropaolo said that he hopes the trials can improve future debates between evolutionists and creationists by addressing the issue in a legal and scientific way.
“The evolutionists thereafter could read that transcript and make their case a bit stronger on the next one they contend against and we can do the same,” Mastropaolo said. “We can read the transcript and not have have to go through the same process over and over and over again without any let up, without any resolution.”

Posted: 26 March 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2012-04-25

We need a rich evolutionist to put up $20,000 in a contest between representatives of each religion where they prove their creation myth is THE true account.  THEN the winner of that contest can be in this clown’s contest.

It just never ceases to amaze me in this day and age, with the internet and access to so much information about others, that people like this creationist can still have such abject ignorance.

[ Edited: 26 March 2013 09:55 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 26 March 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3218
Joined  2011-08-15

It sounds like he is wanting scientists to provide him with information that he may twist and use to support his claims that myths and legends are real. It must be worth the $10,000 to have a transcript of that scientific knowledge. In short, he’s lazy and doesn’t want to do the research. He knows any counter argument of his won’t hold up against emperical facts so why not go fishing with a mock trial, collect info and incorporate it into Ken Ham’s house of biblical cards? And if he gets no takers he can chest thump to the fundies about how he beat down the godless. A win win situation. Must have learned this in kinesiology school!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I am offering $10,000 to anyone who can show me that science contradicts the literal interpretation of the “The Adventures of Pinocchio.”

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3218
Joined  2011-08-15

I am offering $10,000 to anyone who can show me that science contradicts the literal interpretation of the “The Adventures of Pinocchio.”

You’re on geppetto, please deposit the money in my pet whale Jonah’s mouth.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1769
Joined  2007-10-22

Same old arguement.  This is what I believe, you have to prove me wrong, I don’t have to prove myself right.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 26 March 2013 09:48 AM

We need a rich evolutionist to put up $20,000 in a contest between representatives of each religion where they prove their creation myth is THE true account.  THEN the winner of that contest can be in this clown’s contest.

It just never ceases to amaze me in this day and age, with the internet and access to so much information about others, that people like this creationist can still have such abject ignorance.

Abject gnorance is not against the law.

Posted: 27 March 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05

He has already lost. Remember Kitzmiller v Dover Area School District? Of course, reality never seems to intrude on these cdesignproponentists.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

Winner takes the $20K? I’d like to see them say that the winner donate it to a charity.

How would they decide on a third party arbitrator, without bias? Who would pay for such arbitration fees? How could the other person be sure that the other side didn’t slip “extra” money to the arbitrator, since this isn’t an actual court with any true accountability?

Sounds like he’s just playing games. If he’s got $10k to throw around, can’t he find somewhere else to throw it?

[ Edited: 31 March 2013 09:55 PM by FinallyDecided ]

Posted: 01 April 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
FinallyDecided - 31 March 2013 09:49 PM

Winner takes the $20K? I’d like to see them say that the winner donate it to a charity.

How would they decide on a third party arbitrator, without bias? Who would pay for such arbitration fees? How could the other person be sure that the other side didn’t slip “extra” money to the arbitrator, since this isn’t an actual court with any true accountability?

Sounds like he’s just playing games. If he’s got $10k to throw around, can’t he find somewhere else to throw it?

Maybe he should put it toward a brain transplant.

Posted: 02 April 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I could use ten grand.  I’m sure I could drum up enough evidence in 20 minutes of searching through Wikipedia to defeat him.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 April 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14

If thats true someone should show him this:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/misconceps/

particularly
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/misconceps/IIEflawed.shtml
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/misconceps/IVAandreligion.shtml

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)