3 of 3
Driving a hybrid vehicle
Posted: 20 April 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

I think I didn’t make myself clear.  I meant that it’s too bad that the rest of the country hasn’t been converted to California (liberal) political stands as many of them have been to the California accents.

And, no, I don’t think it would make the entire country fail, but rather would improve it greatly.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 20 April 2013 04:23 PM

I think I didn’t make myself clear.  I meant that it’s too bad that the rest of the country hasn’t been converted to California (liberal) political stands as many of them have been to the California accents.

And, no, I don’t think it would make the entire country fail, but rather would improve it greatly.  smile

Occam

I don’t know….we have out share od kookoos here too… mostly new agey, or anti-vaxxers.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

True, Asanta, but would you rather have them around or have the population of the states in the south-east? 

Offhand example:  The megachurch minister in Arkansas who preaches that the members should avoid reason, logic, and critical thinking because they are tools of the devil. snake

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2242
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 21 April 2013 12:38 PM

True, Asanta, but would you rather have them around or have the population of the states in the south-east? 

Offhand example:  The megachurch minister in Arkansas who preaches that the members should avoid reason, logic, and critical thinking because they are tools of the devil. snake

Occam

I think we have a few of them in Californis, too. Can’t get away from them.

Lois

Posted: 21 April 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 21 April 2013 12:38 PM

Occam

LOL! I don’t know, you could bring him here where most people (outside of Berkeley) would just laugh at him! Less damage all around!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 April 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Lois - 21 April 2013 01:00 PM

]
I think we have a few of them in Californis, too. Can’t get away from them.

Lois

Yes, Jim Jones, for instance.  sick

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Any snake handlers in California? Anybody out there drink Strychnine for Jesus? How many trucks have gun racks and rebel flag bumper stickers with “forget hell” on them? Yeah, I wish that we could import a few hundred thousand Calif. liberals to Appalachia. Of course they’d probably be shot for apostasy or starve for lack of vegan stores! But then again, we have boucoup land here and a scant population. Come visit but be sure to scrape off your rainbow sticker and bring lots vegan food if that’s what you’re in to.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Thevillageatheist - 22 April 2013 04:48 AM

Any snake handlers in California? Anybody out there drink Strychnine for Jesus? How many trucks have gun racks and rebel flag bumper stickers with “forget hell” on them? Yeah, I wish that we could import a few hundred thousand Calif. liberals to Appalachia. Of course they’d probably be shot for apostasy or starve for lack of vegan stores! But then again, we have boucoup land here and a scant population. Come visit but be sure to scrape off your rainbow sticker and bring lots vegan food if that’s what you’re in to.

Cap’t Jack

NOOOOOOOOOO, I take it back! We’ll keep our home grown loonies, and you can keep yours!!! sick

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

NOOOOOOOOOO, I take it back! We’ll keep our home grown loonies, and you can keep yours!!!

You know, to be honest Asanta there’s looneys everywhere but I’ve never had the experience of talking with lefty flakes except once when we attended a French Festival at a park in Santa Barbara. an old hippie tried to sell us some hemp jewelry. Contrast that with the Apple Festival in Pikeville, Ky. where they gave away free chewing tobacco even to the kids. I did try it once, turned green and well, you know. I’ve often wondered what living in Canada was like!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 April 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Thevillageatheist - 22 April 2013 03:45 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO, I take it back! We’ll keep our home grown loonies, and you can keep yours!!!

You know, to be honest Asanta there’s looneys everywhere but I’ve never had the experience of talking with lefty flakes except once when we attended a French Festival at a park in Santa Barbara. an old hippie tried to sell us some hemp jewelry. Contrast that with the Apple Festival in Pikeville, Ky. where they gave away free chewing tobacco even to the kids. I did try it once, turned green and well, you know. I’ve often wondered what living in Canada was like!

Cap’t Jack

I live next to Berkeley, aka Bizzerkly. You can find most brands of loonies there, mostly naturalistic and new age. It probably has the highest concentration of psychics, crystals and raw foodies in the country. Luckily,  while Santa Barbara has the same flavors, they also have the higher concentration of antivaxxers.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Aww, come on, Asanta.  I used to go to my company’s Berkeley lab every chance I got.  I loved our group going to lunch along Telegraph Road in the ‘60s and ‘70s to watch the parade of fascinating people go by (especially the young ladies in very scanty outfits. smile  ) 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 23 April 2013 10:46 AM

Aww, come on, Asanta.  I used to go to my company’s Berkeley lab every chance I got.  I loved our group going to lunch along Telegraph Road in the ‘60s and ‘70s to watch the parade of fascinating people go by (especially the young ladies in very scanty outfits. smile  ) 

Occam

Telegraph is still a great place to people watch. Just as much ‘alternative’ clothing as ever. Just as crowded!  wink

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 23 April 2013 09:36 PM
Occam. - 23 April 2013 10:46 AM

Occam

Telegraph is still a great place to people watch. Just as much ‘alternative’ clothing as ever. Just as crowded!  wink

BTW: Is the Blue Nile (Ethiopian restaurant; for the non-locals) still around? (While I live nearby I just haven’t been up that way for quite a while.) <Edit: Darn… They closed.  downer )

There was also the really cool fantasy and sci-fi book store The Other Change of Hobbit. <Quick internet search… Looks like they moved to El Cerrito.>

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 23 April 2013 10:30 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree that the Blue Nile was a great restaurant.  Too bad it closed.

Occam

Signature 

3 of 3