25 of 25
Gun control - again
Posted: 21 June 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 361 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

The weapon isn’t what intimidates them, it would be the liaison officer himself that does so. If you are a trusted teacher, then none of the students should have a problem with you keeping a loaded gun at hand because you’re the friendly trusted teacher, not the scary liaison officer. And I am skeptical that you really own guns if a liaison officer’s sidearm intimidates you.

Wrong again LM. It is the weapon. I’ve seen it, I’ve discussed it with many students in the classroom over the years and our liaison officer knows it too. That plus the cuffs he sometimes has had to use on a few of them. And BTW I am a trusted teacher and yeah they would have a problem with a loaded firearm, even if I had one. And I could really care less if you think I’m not a gun owner. I was a Civil War reenactor and own two long guns (Springfield 1861 and Enfield 1853) two pistols (both Colts) and two shotguns I have used for hunting small game and many others I don’t need to mention in order to make my point. As I’ve stated before, I’m a charcoal burner and a target shooter and have been since the age of nine so, no weapons don’t intimidate me at all. But as a responsible gun owner I know that firearms have their place, and it’s not in the classroom.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 June 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 362 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  180
Joined  2013-05-17
Thevillageatheist - 21 June 2013 05:14 PM

And except on television I have seen none. And SWAT team members must pass not only stringent mental tests but physical as well. In short, you can’t be a tubby member if a SWAT team. I have been around police officers since childhood and have had several family members in various police departments. My maternal grandfather was a special agent for the C&O Railroad, his brother was the captain of the police force in my hometown, another brother was the county jailer and his half brother was Commonwealth’s attorney. my paternal cousin is a county officer of LA, not a tubby doughnut lover among them.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6121448_police-swat-team-requirements.html

Cap’t Jack

SWAT team requirements vary from department to department. But it’s not just the physical fitness requirements, it’s also the amount of training the SWAT teams which varies. Just because they have fancy-looking gear doesn’t mean they are highly-trained. Regarding overweight cops, here is a link to read: http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=1516&issue_id=62008 I remember back when I lived in Philadelphia that the number of overweight cops in the city was considered a problem.

Thevillageatheist - 21 June 2013 05:28 PM

Then You have absolutely no idea about student-teacher relationships in a classroom. A ruler used as a weapon? OMG. A kid would laugh at such an absurbitiy. No student I’ve ever taught would equate a ruler with a firearm. You’re really reaching LM. what an argument literally from ignorance. And are you implying that if a teacher has a gun then said teacher would use it anyway? I’m confused, again. No, students don’t fear teachers. The first thing a teacher learns in a classroom is to gain their student’s respect by showing them they care about educating them. No teacher would ever use fear or threats to gain this. Good teachers teach by example and what message would you send to a kid with a gun on your hip? Well, I think you already know the answer.

Cap’t Jack

If the teacher is licensed to carry concealed, that shouldn’t be a problem. Or the teacher could just have access to a gun via a safe or something. And I think it is you who is not reading my posts. The point I am making is that if a student doesn’t fear the teacher, then they are not going to fear the teacher if said teacher has access to a firearm.

Thevillageatheist - 21 June 2013 05:46 PM

Wrong again LM. It is the weapon. I’ve seen it, I’ve discussed it with many students in the classroom over the years and our liaison officer knows it too. That plus the cuffs he sometimes has had to use on a few of them. And BTW I am a trusted teacher and yeah they would have a problem with a loaded firearm, even if I had one.

Why would they have a problem with you having access to a loaded firearm if you are a trusted teacher? What do they fear? 

And I could really care less if you think I’m not a gun owner. I was a Civil War reenactor and own two long guns (Springfield 1861 and Enfield 1853) two pistols (both Colts) and two shotguns I have used for hunting small game and many others I don’t need to mention in order to make my point. As I’ve stated before, I’m a charcoal burner and a target shooter and have been since the age of nine so, no weapons don’t intimidate me at all.

You are the one who said that the liaison officer’s firearm intimidated you. Also, and not meaning to be snarky or a grammar Nazi or anything, but the appropriate phrase is, “I couldn’t care less” not “I could care less.”

But as a responsible gun owner I know that firearms have their place, and it’s not in the classroom.

Cap’t Jack

Why not? A firearm is just a tool. A very helpful tool if some person comes in and starts shooting.

25 of 25

‹‹ Korea      Rand Paul at Howard U. ››