2 of 5
Washington State follows Leviticus
Posted: 19 April 2013 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

IQ is cultural BS.

See James Lawler’s IQ, Heredity and Racism.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25
George - 18 April 2013 05:17 AM

Yes, it is clever. What I find puzzling, though, is that smoking up seems to be socially acceptable when smoking cigarettes is not. They are both harmful to our health, with smoking pot probably even more so.

You missed the point. It has nothing to do with what’s socially acceptable. Cigarettes (and alcohol) are legal, pot is not, and yet they’re all drugs of choice roughly in the same category as far as health effects, etc. It’s just hypocritical, and if one followed the money we’d probably find out why.

And btw, my personal experience with both is this: alcohol causes me to act stupidly and adversly effects my motor skills.  Pot on the other hand always made me “smarter” and more focused, heightened my awareness of my surroundings, and made my motor skills sharper. (Of course that was when I was young. Nowadays either, if I drank or smoked, which I dont, would probably put me to sleep in a matter of minutes wink )

[ Edited: 19 April 2013 10:18 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

And you missed my point. I am not saying pot should remain illegal; I don’t really care either way. My comment was exactly what I said it was about: about the irrationality of pot being socially acceptable when compared to cigarettes.

Posted: 19 April 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
garythehuman - 19 April 2013 07:22 AM

IQ is cultural BS.

You fuckin’ people baffle me. Spend all your money on these fuckin’ fancy books, you surround yourselves with ‘em and they’re the wrong fucking books.  grin

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Yes, it is clever. What I find puzzling, though, is that smoking up seems to be socially acceptable when smoking cigarettes is not. They are both harmful to our health, with smoking pot probably even more so.

You’re right but smoking pot is making a political statement. That’s why it’s more acceptable.  All smoking is dangerous.  But the statement didn’t suggest that people should smoke it. It was a joke, a play on words, a funny juxtaposition, nothing more.

Lois

Posted: 19 April 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I am not denying your OP wasn’t funny. It was; although, it was more clever than funny.

And I doubt the reason why it’s more acceptable than smoking is due to political reasons. In a nutshell, I think it’s simply due to human stupidity but that’s not really an explanation. Whenever I see a group of people who are about to smoke up, they first must reassure each other over and over how much fun they will have and how cool the whole thing is (yes, often with the help of that horrible song by Bob Dylan). Maybe I just hate it because whenever I see a group of people getting all excited—which is usually based on something completely irrational, like sports, patriotism, religion, or even Humanism—I automatically get annoyed.

Posted: 19 April 2013 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I certain you are quoting some source in post #19 above, George.  Were they your own words, I’m sure you would have used “copulating”.  LOL

Although I agree with your sentiments there.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 19 April 2013 04:58 PM

I certain you are quoting some source in post #19 above, George.  Were they your own words, I’m sure you would have used “copulating”.  LOL

Although I agree with your sentiments there.

Occam

It was from Good Will Hunting and they didn’t say “copulating.”

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

It’s from “Good Will Hunting.”

(I think I may have found a way how to speak my mind without getting blue-inked.  smirk )

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 19 April 2013 01:23 PM

Whenever I see a group of people who are about to smoke up, they first must reassure each other over and over how much fun they will have and how cool the whole thing is (yes, often with the help of that horrible song by Bob Dylan).

George, you should not be associating with bad people like that.  wink

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 April 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 19 April 2013 10:15 AM

You missed the point. It has nothing to do with what’s socially acceptable. Cigarettes (and alcohol) are legal, pot is not, and yet they’re all drugs of choice roughly in the same category as far as health effects, etc. It’s just hypocritical, and if one followed the money we’d probably find out why.

And btw, my personal experience with both is this: alcohol causes me to act stupidly and adversly effects my motor skills.  Pot on the other hand always made me “smarter” and more focused, heightened my awareness of my surroundings, and made my motor skills sharper. (Of course that was when I was young. Nowadays either, if I drank or smoked, which I dont, would probably put me to sleep in a matter of minutes wink )

LL Well, we know it makes people THINK they’re smarter and more focused, that they have heightened awareness of their surroundings and that their motor skills are sharper, when in fact they have turned out to be spaced out idiots.  It’s part of the fun of not smoking and watching other people smoke and make those assumptions.  It’s much more entertaining than smoking and there’s never a hangover. 

Lois

Posted: 22 April 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 19 April 2013 11:04 AM

IQ is cultural BS.

You fuckin’ people baffle me. Spend all your money on these fuckin’ fancy books, you surround yourselves with ‘em and they’re the wrong fucking books.  grin

Of course, IO tests are nothing but fancy reading tests,  You want a high score -read a lot.  Comic books worked in my case. ohh

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 22 April 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
garythehuman - 22 April 2013 10:57 AM

IQ is cultural BS.

Of course, IO tests are nothing but fancy reading tests,  You want a high score -read a lot.  Comic books worked in my case. ohh

Thats not true, a good IQ test tests for the ability to analyze, not just reading and memory.  Analogies is one way to test for the ability to see connections and analyze sense.  A person can be a good reader and have a good memory and be lousy at analogies and other things a good IQ test tests for.

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

IQ is cultural BS.

Not true. Both you and I read a lot, but neither of us has a significantly high IQ.

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 22 April 2013 12:00 PM

IQ is cultural BS.

Not true. Both you and I read a lot, but neither of us has a significantly high IQ.

According to my school records I do, for what it matters in real life.

Signature 

Gary the Human

2 of 5