5 of 5
Washington State follows Leviticus
Posted: 27 April 2013 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Heres a great youtube about IQ.  Worth watching.  Its about lowering your IQ.

Be careful, it might change the way you vote.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/z9pD_UK6vGU

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  1412
Joined  2010-04-22
Occam. - 26 April 2013 10:07 PM

Possibly, but what I was pointing out was that I “gamed” the IQ tests.  Since they are usually constructed such that it’s extremely difficult to finish answering all the questions and do all the math within the time limits.  The amount one DOES finish is an indication of one’s IQ.  Since I had prior knowledge and had even worked out the math ones at home, the fact that I finished very early gave a false view of my capability (which didn’t bother me. smile  ).  So, whatever IQ the tests showed were certainly far higher than my real IQ. 

I understand that Isaac Asimov had a hobby of breaking IQ tests. Sure, he was a sharp guy, and judging from his career output, a very driven, hard working man, but he considered the concept of IQ testing to be highly flawed, and liked to demonstrate it by taking IQ tests, studying them, and scoring around 200-250, just to show the ridiculousness of the concept.

Speaking of musicians, I remember reading somewhere that there was a high correlation between IQ scores and the ability of a person to beat a rhythm with a stick in steady time. hmmm That must mean that the best drummers really are geniuses. Alas, that I play trombone.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 28 April 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I think you should listen to real experts instead of sci-fi writers. Like Pinker, for example.

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 28 April 2013 10:04 AM

I think you should listen to real experts instead of sci-fi writers. Like Pinker, for example.

What has Stephen Pinker said about IQ tests?

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

They work.

Posted: 28 April 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

So do kids wagons, but I’d rather use an automobile for my trips.  I see a correlation between IQ and vitamins.  Both are quite real, however, hucksters manage to come up with all sorts of fancy vitamin mixtures that they can sell for a high price but which do nothing special.  Similarly, many test production companies write up tests that they don’t bother really verifying as very good matches for real IQ, but they sell them to all sorts of schools, interviewers, etc. who think they are getting something that will give accurate results. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 April 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

To try to be clear, I don’t think that IQ is complete bullocks. I think it’s an interesting idea, and that the concept of having several different kinds of intelligence is probably a better way of describing peoples’ brains’ abilities than one overall number. And I think that the implementation of IQ testing is severely problematic because education and test preparation can play such a huge role in the scores that for any one individual, that one overall number as a measure of intellectual potential may not really mean that much.

I think that the more productive kind of testing doesn’t measure intelligence directly, but just the results: how much mastery of a specific skill has a person attained?

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17

George, you’re missing about half his body of work. grin He wrote a lot of science books as well. Check out this list here: http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_catalogue.html

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
harry canyon - 29 April 2013 01:16 PM

George, you’re missing about half his body of work. grin He wrote a lot of science books as well. Check out this list here: http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_catalogue.html

Take care,

Derek

Thanks Derik, I have been looking for the tittle of one of his math books “Quick and Easy Math.”  It got me through my college math courses.  grin Now a nephew of m,ine needs it.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

5 of 5