3 of 3
COSMOS
Posted: 13 May 2013 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3204
Joined  2011-08-15

It’s fascinating, TVA, how people we think would have similar views differ so widely.  For example, I had no interest in a show called “The Big Bang Theory” until my wife who was already mostly paralyzed told me to watch it.  I was shocked at how much I loved and still love that show.  So I recommended it to my daughter and some friends.  She and most of them disliked it.  Strangely, the only people I know who enjoy it as much as I do is an Orange county Libertarian couple.  (That worries me).  Sorry about my Sagan opinion. 

We love that show! Sneaking science into a sit com was brilliant. Google the lyrics from the theme when you get the chance. Except for the “Neanderthal discovered food” part, it’s pretty accurate. This is definitely not a show for fundie creationists (portrayed by Sheldon’s Mom). It has everything from bouncing lasers off the Moon to sexual relationships. Tyson even did a cameo as well as others in the scientific field. And as to Sagan, everyone has many sides to his/her personality. Reading the posts here is a clear example of that!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 May 2013 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 11 May 2013 03:04 PM

but I couldn’t stand Carl Sagan’s voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority. 

I’m not alone in disliking his voice.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05
mid atlantic - 13 May 2013 03:21 AM

but I couldn’t stand Carl Sagan’s voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority. 

Yeah, William F. Buckley was so much better.  LOL

They were both from New York.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, but I could laugh at Buckley.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 May 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

I found Sagan incredibly inspiring, though I admit today Cosmos strikes me as a bit melodramatic and very dated. I also have seen Tyson speak, and I found him quite articulate, charming, and likeable. FWIW.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 13 May 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3204
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, but I could laugh at Buckley. 

Occam

Yes, that feigned look of disdain and the way he lashed out with his tongue, I mean literally, he used his tongue as a prop and would bulge out his eyes when staring down his opponent, usually Gore Vidal. a lot of name calling there!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 May 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24
psikeyhackr - 13 May 2013 08:31 AM

psik

question

What does Buckley have to do with Sagan?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  3186
Joined  2011-11-04

I guess they’re referring to New York accents?...  Anyway, I would take billions and billions of Carl Sagan voices over one Wm F Buckley voice, with his snooty “ah..” interjections.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05
mid atlantic - 13 May 2013 07:52 PM
psikeyhackr - 13 May 2013 08:31 AM

psik

question

What does Buckley have to do with Sagan?

Listening to Sagan never bothered me but Occam mentioning not being able to stand someone’s voice immediately brought William F. Buckley to mind.  Then comparing them in my memory there was somewhat of a similarity.  I thought it must be a Boston accent so I Googled them and they were both from New York.

I suspect there were a number of things in combination that annoyed me about Buckley.  I guess I would have to call it a “studied condescension”.  It is like he put so much work into being annoying it was hard to concentrate on what he was actually saying and then that was always expressed in a manner more complicated than necessary.  That never came across with Sagan to me.  He was merely distinctive.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

3 of 3

‹‹ Owl and the pussycat      For the Trekkies... ››