FEAR IS THE ENEMY
Posted: 11 January 2007 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-01-11

Some time ago on a previous show,  Ann mentioned that she was at a loss to explain how science and questioning religion had fallen out of favor.

I think I can answer that.

Challenger, Chernobol, and 9/11.

In each one of these incidents, science and technology failed us.

Mostly because the parties involved did not listen to the science or reason and instead followed their leadership blindly.

The children that experienced these disasters are now the decision makers. 

9/11 was the nail in the coffin, before that we had mostly recovered from the other technology disasters. 

With 9/11, the whole of western civilization was auestruck with FEAR, and when societies are afraid they will turn inward and try to turn to something familar and that offers strength and solace.  Unfortunatly for many this time that ment religion and superstition.

In the end, FEAR is what we who value reason must FIGHT!

Padrat!

Posted: 11 January 2007 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-06-17

Fear as a motivator

Very well said. I concur on your insiteful reasoning on fear as a motivator.

Unfortunately, critical thinking skills are grossly lacking in our cultural so people fall for the snake oil far too often.

Michael Moore expressed this train of thought very well in Fahrenheit 9/11.

Posted: 11 January 2007 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Some time ago on a previous show, Ann mentioned that she was at a loss to explain how science and questioning religion had fallen out of favor.

I basically agree, though I would trace the phenomenon much farther back. In the 1950s science and scientists were revered as the saviors of the nation, largely due to the military technologies that contributed to “winning” WWII, antibiotics, vaccines, etc. The awareness of the negative impact of science and technology that was poorly controlled and ill employed, out of greed, complacency, poor leadership, etc, began to spread fairly widely in the U.S. and Europe in the 1960s and 1970s, and that combined with the resurgence of fundamentalist, reactionary religion in the 1980s has lead to a borad and very dangerous fear of science and intellectualism in general. And, as you say, it is this fear that is one of our greatest obstacles to achieving a more rational culture.

With 9/11, the whole of western civilization was auestruck with FEAR,

You are absolutely right, though I admit I have always found this hard to understand or sympathize with. From a rational standpoint, the real danger to our society at large from such attacks is trivial compared to homegrown violence, auto accidents, lifestyle diseases, etc. And anyone who was surprised in 2001 to find that America is feared and hated in many parts of the world has been living with their head in the sand for a looooong time.  So I have to think that the irrationality, and turning inward you are talking about were already strong forces before this event.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 19 January 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

Re: FEAR IS THE ENEMY

[quote author=“padrat321”]Some time ago on a previous show,  Ann mentioned that she was at a loss to explain how science and questioning religion had fallen out of favor.

In each one of these incidents, science and technology failed us.

In the end, FEAR is what we who value reason must FIGHT!

Padrat!

Sorry but I disagree.  Fear is bad, “Fear is the mind killer.” But it is not the enemy.  I feel that a lack of true understanding of Reality is the problem. 

Likes, wishes, desires, and hopes are great.  But without a good understanding of Reality, they are just thoughts in the wind.  JMHO.

Reality.  All that is.    The hard part is a good understanding of it, especially one that is free from politics or religion.

JMHO.

Elder Norm.

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.

‹‹ DJ      Ann Druyan with DJ ››