Ann Druyan with DJ
Posted: 11 January 2007 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-06-17

Wow! I can’t believe what a great speaker Ann Druyan is. She mesmerized me with her elegance and passionate discussion with DJ last Friday. Fortunately, this time around there was no issue with the phone line to distract the listener.

She pours out her answers like a poet in such detail and richness that it almost seems rehearsed. No other speaker amongst all the superb POI guests can match Ann Druyan in my opnion.

Once again great job DJ, Thomas, Debbie and the rest of the gang on a truly magnificent podcast.

P.S. I know I am cross posting.

Posted: 11 January 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Absolutely! Her comments were incisive, eloquent, and very moving. She also gave an interview about The Varieties of Scientific Experience on NPR’s Science Friday that was enjoyable but much less powerful. Maybe DJ is just a better interviewer, or maybe she is more comfortable knowing her audience is predisposed to agree, but this was one of the best podcasts I’ve heard to date. Good work all!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 19 January 2007 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-12-29

I’ve loved Carl Sagan for a long time, but now I can see why Sagan loved Ann Druyan.  It’s common for public speakers to start sounding like a broken record, rehashing the same talking points over and over.  But Druyan did another remarkable job and kept things fresh and new.  I loved her defense of the word “spiritual”.  That we should not hand such a word over to the fundamentalists.  We all know that feeling associated with that word, and some of us feel it with respect to nature and science.

Another great podcast!  I can’t wait to hear from Druyan again!

Posted: 02 February 2007 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Has anybody read Sagan’s new book The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God? Is it good?

Posted: 02 February 2007 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“George Benedik”]Has anybody read Sagan’s new book The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God? Is it good?

Yes and yes.

:wink:

Really excellent book, in Sagan’s inimitable style. Lots of very strong anti-theist argumentation as well.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 February 2007 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Thanks, Doug.

Posted: 02 February 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

An excellent book! Certainly, you aren’t likely to find any unfamiliar ideasif you’re a fan of Sagan, but it’s an especially eloquent presentation of familiar themes.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!