3 of 4
Gluten-free diets
Posted: 08 May 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

I was told they do realize it. But supposedly the old way was the natural way.

This whole natural thing is actually getting out of hand, IMO. They just reorganized our local grocery store with one third selling only natural products. In the middle they have a counter with en expert, a nutritionist. I wanna move to Vulcan.

Save me a seat. What the hell is natural anyway? Did they pluck the food out of the woods because if they grew it themselves where do they think the seeds came from? ALL commercially produced seeds are hybrids to begin with and are treated with a chemical coating to prevent insects from eating them before they germinate and seeds from hybrid plants usually can’t be used to produce the next crop. Ever eat a wild strawberry? Besides being tiny, they’re bitter. Sorry guys but we can’t go back to nature; everyone likes their strawberries fat and juicy. Frankenfood is here to stay.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 May 2013 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

One of my cousins is ‘paleo’ obsessed. The trouble is, none of the food she posts as belonging to a paleo diet was available to our paleo ancestors.
Most of my atheist friends here in CA are rabidly anti GMO. I don’t even attempt to discuss it with them anymore. One posted a dishonest picture of a supposedly GMO corn ear next to a ‘natural’ ear, and guess which was roundly rejected by the birds and other wildlife? *facepalm* They swallow it hook line and sinker. They also point out that Europe has banned GMO, as if that is proof positive of anything. Large swathes of Europe are also anti-vaccination and believe in homeopathy… So. What….. sick my head hurts..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 May 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I just finished an excellent book on paleo diet. Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live by Marlene Zuk. I recommend it to anyone who is interested not only in paleo diet but also in evolution and skepticism.

Posted: 08 May 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 08 May 2013 07:29 AM

I was told they do realize it. But supposedly the old way was the natural way.

This whole natural thing is actually getting out of hand, IMO. They just reorganized our local grocery store with one third selling only natural products. In the middle they have a counter with en expert, a nutritionist. I wanna move to Vulcan.

Save me a seat. What the hell is natural anyway? Did they pluck the food out of the woods because if they grew it themselves where do they think the seeds came from? ALL commercially produced seeds are hybrids to begin with and are treated with a chemical coating to prevent insects from eating them before they germinate and seeds from hybrid plants usually can’t be used to produce the next crop. Ever eat a wild strawberry? Besides being tiny, they’re bitter. Sorry guys but we can’t go back to nature; everyone likes their strawberries fat and juicy. Frankenfood is here to stay.

Cap’t Jack

Never mind, you can’t talk sense into food nuts. They’re the same people who swear by “alternative medicine.”

Lois

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I just finished an excellent book on paleo diet. Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live by Marlene Zuk. I recommend it to anyone who is interested not only in paleo diet but also in evolution and skepticism.

I’m reading it now. Her book and Wrangham’s “Catching Fire” present a pretty clear picture of paleo life. New studies also show more incidences of cannibalism among Neanderthals than previously thought. The “good old days” weren’t actually so good!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 May 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
asanta - 01 May 2013 09:21 PM

Barley became the in fad about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it has not gone away. I am allergic to barley and it is next to impossible to find bread without barley in it these days. Even french bread, which has no reason to use barley, has it. I finally found one brand that doesn’t use barley, but the last brand I used, suddenly added it a few years ago.  sick

t
Have you tried baking your own? That way your are in complete control of the ingredients.  I have a recipe for delicious bread that doesn’t require much work and is successful every time. It takes time, but you don’t have to be there while it is developing. If you’d like to have the recipe, let me know.

Lois

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  4071
Joined  2006-11-28

That GMO study has been pretty thoroughly dissected by quite a few skeptics: HERE are links to a few examples.

[ Edited: 13 May 2013 05:10 PM by mckenzievmd ]
 Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Never mind, you can’t talk sense into food nuts. They’re the same people who swear by “alternative medicine.”

Lois

Anecdote: my wife’s cousin, a former teacher and school superintendent recently retired and got a PhD in of all things, naturopathy. IMO it’s only one step from homeopathy as they use “natural” medicines to effect a holistic cure. Yes, they are dualists. I guess this woo also touts antivax crap and he’s convinced his son not to have his grandchildren innoculated. I wonder how many people rely on this pseudoscience as well as religious sects who believe in this form of “natural” healing? I’m concerned that reliance on this woo will bring back the childhood diseases that were all but eliminated in the 60’s. My question is how can educated people actually believe that this snake oil really works? I just can’t wrap my head around it when pediatricians are telling parents this autism scare is just urban legend. Yet people still believe it? Fear banishes reason.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 May 2013 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 10 May 2013 04:06 AM

Lois

Anecdote: my wife’s cousin, a former teacher and school superintendent recently retired and got a PhD in of all things, naturopathy. IMO it’s only one step from homeopathy as they use “natural” medicines to effect a holistic cure. Yes, they are dualists. I guess this woo also touts antivax crap and he’s convinced his son not to have his grandchildren innoculated. I wonder how many people rely on this pseudoscience as well as religious sects who believe in this form of “natural” healing? I’m concerned that reliance on this woo will bring back the childhood diseases that were all but eliminated in the 60’s. My question is how can educated people actually believe that this snake oil really works? I just can’t wrap my head around it when pediatricians are telling parents this autism scare is just urban legend. Yet people still believe it? Fear banishes reason.

Cap’t Jack

Yes, and it’s obvious that most young parents have never been through a polio epidemic. If they had been their fears would be well placed—on the side of getting their kids vaccinated.  I also hear that whooping cough snd measles are coming back and kids are dying.  How long will it take parents to come to their senses about communicable diseases!

Lois

Posted: 11 May 2013 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Lois - 09 May 2013 08:57 AM
asanta - 01 May 2013 09:21 PM

Barley became the in fad about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it has not gone away. I am allergic to barley and it is next to impossible to find bread without barley in it these days. Even french bread, which has no reason to use barley, has it. I finally found one brand that doesn’t use barley, but the last brand I used, suddenly added it a few years ago.  sick

t
Have you tried baking your own? That way your are in complete control of the ingredients.  I have a recipe for delicious bread that doesn’t require much work and is successful every time. It takes time, but you don’t have to be there while it is developing. If you’d like to have the recipe, let me know.

Lois

Thanks, Lois. I do bake my own when I get the chance. Home made bread is delicious.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 May 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, it’s even better with big globs of melted high cholesterol, high saturated fat, butter slathered on it.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
Occam. - 12 May 2013 06:41 PM

Unfortunately, it’s even better with big globs of melted high cholesterol, high saturated fat, butter slathered on it.  red face

Occam

Two words: Olive Oil.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Much better for health, but it just doesn’t taste the same to somone who was brought up with butter smeared on most hot foods.  I need the salt and butyric acid flavor to enjoy it.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 May 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
Occam. - 13 May 2013 10:18 AM

Much better for health, but it just doesn’t taste the same to somone who was brought up with butter smeared on most hot foods.  I need the salt and butyric acid flavor to enjoy it.  smile

Occam

I know you’re pretty worldly, but have you ever had really good olive oil? Not the cheap $1/gallon stuff. Some olive oils are flavored specifically for enhanced bread dipping. Including some pretty spicy-hot ones.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 14 May 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 09 May 2013 06:17 AM

[

... New studies also show more incidences of cannibalism among Neanderthals than previously thought. The “good old days” weren’t actually so good!

Cap’t Jack

Hmm…  so does the paleo diet include Neanderthal meat?  Can you get that at Whole Foods?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

3 of 4