3 of 4
Which Religion is best?
Posted: 16 May 2013 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

Or springing full grown from you father’s head after giving him a migraine. Does this kind of count as incest? Hey, Adam and Eve did it, or so the fundies believe.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04

No one mentioned Buddism. IMO, it doesn’t seem as bad as most religions.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Buddhism is not religion. Buddhism is neuroscience.

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

It’s not neuroscience, but maybe it doesn’t fit some definitions of religion.  Still, as a religion substitute, it seems to me to be relatively benign and pro-social.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2012-04-25
George - 16 May 2013 09:32 AM

Interesting comment. I think I like where you’re headed. Do explain.

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
CuthbertJ - 16 May 2013 10:08 AM
George - 16 May 2013 09:32 AM

Interesting comment. I think I like where you’re headed. Do explain.

It was supposed to be funny, not interesting.

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Siddhartha Gautama was a neuroscientist?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 16 May 2013 10:10 AM

Cap’t Jack

He was very good at yoga, meditation, severely restricting his dietary intake, sitting in one place for a very long time, and introspection.  But I don’t think he knew anything about neuroscience.

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

He was very good at yoga, meditation, severely restricting his dietary intake, sitting in one place for a very long time, and introspection.  But I don’t think he knew anything about neuroscience.

Hmmm, well at least I have one of those characteristics, but it’s nothing to brag about. I need to do the others too! It might just keep me alive a little longer.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I know what you mean. smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Any religion which imposes a vow of silence would be a pleasant relief from the incessant public proselytizing.

I like spiritual people who are introspective, soft spoken, and discreet.

Every time is see a four page Bible or Koran quotation, ending with “unless you become a believer, woe awaits”, I experience great mental woe that moment. I try so hard, but somehow crossing (blessing) myself always turns into tearing out my hair.  Am I doing it wrong? d2.gif

Bless all believers, the rest can go to hell…..pop.gif

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Every time is see a four page Bible or Koran quotation, ending with “unless you become a believer, woe awaits”, I experience great mental woe that moment. I try so hard, but somehow crossing (blessing) myself always turns into tearing out my hair.  Am I doing it wrong?

Which is one of the main reasons I don’t engage theists on this forum. After fencing with them in a couple of posts it’s time to move on. I can’t stand the incessant clatter of their ontological arguments and anecdotal evidence. It should be plain for the proselytizers to see that they’re not converting anyone here. They may be just attempting to sharpen their debating skills and I have tremendous respect for the patience that you guys show in throwing their arguments back in their faces but it in the end it seems to boil down to: here’s the evidence, no, the bible says, blah, blah. Ok, go to your street corner with your floppy book and shout at the traffic. I can’t tear my hair out any more. I have to save what’s left!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31
Thevillageatheist - 16 May 2013 10:10 AM

Yes of course! Just as I am a good chemist because I succeed in digesting my food everyday!

Buddhism is humanism, with the addition of a practice method not just to believe in your humanistic ideals, but also to live according to them.

Or so. rolleyes

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 May 2013 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes of course! Just as I am a good chemist because I succeed in digesting my food everyday!

Buddhism is humanism, with the addition of a practice method not just to believe in your humanistic ideals, but also to live according to them.

I was first introduced to Buddhism in a round about way in college. My friends and I were reading Herman Hesse’s books and we read most of them, including “Siddhartha”.Previous to that I knew little about the philosophy. Demien was my favorite though. Since then I’ve read more about it and can see why it would appeal to a humanist (which I’ll readily admit I am).

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 May 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2012-04-25
Thevillageatheist - 17 May 2013 02:26 AM

I was first introduced to Buddhism in a round about way in college. My friends and I were reading Herman Hesse’s books and we read most of them, including “Siddhartha”.Previous to that I knew little about the philosophy. Demien was my favorite though. Since then I’ve read more about it and can see why it would appeal to a humanist (which I’ll readily admit I am).

Cap’t Jack

Siddhartha’s one of my favorite books. If anyone hasn’t read it before I recommend it.  It’s pretty short and easy to read too, and written just beautifully.

3 of 4