4 of 4
New woman in town.
Posted: 06 May 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-04-29

Dear All,

At the risk of ticking people off, which, I have been known to do… I was seeking intellectually stimulating conversation.

It’s why I joined.

Instead, I am hearing a lot of ranting and raving by people who seem to get off on how smart they think they are about their position on a mythical deity they are either without belief in, or awaiting proof of.

I’m certain I’ll get more out of reading “6 days of war” by Ambassador Oren of Israel, a world-reknowned scholar and other books.

In hindsight, it probably doesn’t make much sense for someone who believes god nothing more than mythology and human construct to spend her time discussing the topic with people who are clearly quite passsionate about the subject, now does it?

And in hindsight its a no-brainer. Now, I finally understand why the religious and Atheists are always in close company; or what Wolpe (whom I know personally) and Hitchens and Harris have in common. They’re all god-fanatics!

I suppose all of you are, too. It’s ridiculous. You fight over it like it matters.

I have no interest in talking about god. That’s all y’all do here. Clearly, I am out of place.

By the way, somehow, I suppose I thought this forum would be discussing more secular matters. After all, I am Secular Humanist, even a a paying associate member. Usually, someone who waves that banner likes worldly matters:  arts, sciences, liberty, sex.

I am only 41 years old. But I want to make sure I use my time wisely.

Occam, I appreciated our brief encounter. This is just not the nourishment I was seeking.

Kind regards,

Ruth

Signature 

Ruth Hochman

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Occam, did you have anything else to say? rolleyes

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, I tried.  Too bad fuses are so short everywhere, and humor and acceptance are also in short supply.  Unfortunately, Ruth got hung up on the argument in this thread rather than just going to other more “secular humanist” forums here to get a more balanced view of this site. 

And, Vy, you used to be a lot more fun when your sense of humor came out frequently.  Moving toward old fuddom doesn’t mean you have to lose your playfulness.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 06 May 2013 10:38 AM

Well, I tried.  Too bad fuses are so short everywhere, and humor and acceptance are also in short supply.  Unfortunately, Ruth got hung up on the argument in this thread rather than just going to other more “secular humanist” forums here to get a more balanced view of this site. 

And, Vy, you used to be a lot more fun when your sense of humor came out frequently.  Moving toward old fuddom doesn’t mean you have to lose your playfulness.  smile

Occam

Occam, I’m still funny.
This Ruth was certifiable!  I wonder if Advocatus is regretting the comments he made about her “website photos”? LOL
I could tell this Ruth was a wackaloon from about the 2nd posting. 
Who says stuff like that?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I am only 41 years old. But I want to make sure I use my time wisely.
-Ruth’s post #35

But if by 41 one can’t be forthcoming about where one stands on principle and discuss their position freely, then what’s the point of calling a discussion such in the first place.-this current post

See, this is telling for starters.
Then the accompanying photos that got Advocatus’ attention.
No, no, I believe this “Ruth” or whatever it was had other motives.  I doubt the motives were looking for fun, honest discourse on a range of non-secular activities.

Signature 

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

I think the problem began when Ruth became entangled with the semantics of non theism. What I can’t understand is why she didn’t check out the other topics? I mean Psikey would have schooled her on the towers and crop circles. Hell, everybody on this site has something to contribute positive and negative that doesn’t involve religious discourse. It’s just that sometimes it bleeds over to other sites. If she had stuck around I’m sure that she’d have found something to pique her interest. Some people do talk science here ya know!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 06 May 2013 10:38 AM

Occam

Ruth seems to not get how the CFI Forum works and it makes me wonder if she wanted to participate or just criticize.  If she wanted more secular topics, she could have found them here. No one expects her to engage in a topic she has no interest in. If Ruth had an idea of a secular topic she wanted to discuss, why didnt she start one? She comes across like a malcontent who will never find a discussion group that she’s happy with.  If she couldn’t find a topic she likes here and couldn’t bring herself to create one, why would she want to stay, and why should the rest of us want her to stay? Good luck Ruth. You may be “only 41,” but you have a lot of growing up to do.

Posted: 06 May 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-04-29

I don’t care that I was referred to as a wackaloon. Quite frankly, didn’t even know. Like seriously? Someone made fun of my website.

Honestly, I read, maybe 5 comments, and in that was able to surmise you all are a blatant misuse of my most precious resources time and energy.

Sam Harris is a heavy weight intellectual.

Whoever Occam, he seems to be the only sensible one out the bunch and quite frankly I am not sure how he stand the stupidity from day day-to-day.

Occam, I am quite comfortable with you leaving my comments up if you so wish, but please remove me from your site.

These notices are quite a nuisance.

Thank you,

Ruth

Thank you,

Ruth

Signature 

Ruth Hochman

Posted: 06 May 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-04-29

Listen,

I have intellectual, artistic, interests and appreciate meaningful dialogue.

I am simply not interested in what you have to offer.

I have a very quick mind. I am a grown woman, thank you very much.

Not exploring, but at 41, have retired in Bozeman, MT because I have been there and done that and still look young and beautiful enough to tell the damn story!

Now, I’ll leave you all stupefied for goodness sake, but please remove from this forum. I just don’t have the time for it.

Truly,

Ruth

Ruth

[ Edited: 06 May 2013 12:42 PM by Ruth Hochman ]
 Signature 

Ruth Hochman

Posted: 06 May 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Ruth, I can’t remove you, but I think you may be able to do it yourself by going to your profile and deleting your name, etc.  You wouldn’t be getting any notices unless you checked the notify you when someone responds to your posts.  You don’t have to worry.  Those threads will quickly fade into oblivion and become inactive.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 06 May 2013 05:46 PM

Ruth, I can’t remove you, but I think you may be able to do it yourself by going to your profile and deleting your name, etc.  You wouldn’t be getting any notices unless you checked the notify you when someone responds to your posts.  You don’t have to worry.  Those threads will quickly fade into oblivion and become inactive.

Occam

For which we can be eternally grateful.

Lois

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04

I suppose Ruth is gone.  I would have proposed, if she wanted stimulating discussion, more to her liking, that she post topics of interest to her to see what comes of it.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 12 May 2013 08:18 AM

I suppose Ruth is gone.  I would have proposed, if she wanted stimulating discussion, more to her liking, that she post topics of interest to her to see what comes of it.

She wasn’t interested in doing that, Timb.  She just wanted to make an ass of herself and waste our time. She succeeded in both.  Time to move on. 

Lois

Posted: 01 June 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2013-06-01

Hello Ruth,
My name is Mike, and I too am a new member.

You do not have to be anti-religious today.
And I think you would enjoy understanding religion. It is your heritage.

Did you see the movie “She’s the One” with Mickey Burns, Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Aniston? In the movie John Mahoney made the statement after being told by his son that he (John the father) did not believe in God. And John replied “that doesn’t mean I’m not a good Catholic”. 

Been studying religion the last eight years and I am pretty sure that Jesus was a Secular Humanist too.

If you want to understand religion and mankind, for the most part you have to stay away from the bible.

As far as antiquity, we have not yet got to the point in religion where the Veda was five thousand years ago. We are still coming out of the dark ages in religious studies.

I think this will be a good website to pick up views on the subject.

Take care, Mike

Posted: 07 June 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14
VYAZMA - 06 May 2013 10:46 AM

I wonder if Advocatus is regretting the comments he made about her “website photos”? LOL

Nope, I still think she looks stunning.  It’s just too bad she got caught up in semantics and neglected to look at the rest of the forum.  :(

Dang!  She just got another notice sent to her email, didn’t she?  Sorry about that, Ruth!

4 of 4

‹‹ Good Day      Ottawa - new member ››