Who really kicked in the door?
Posted: 12 May 2013 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

In the rescue of Amanda Berry and her daughter, was it Charles Ramsey (the somewhat stereotypical but entertaining black man) or was it Angel Cordero (the, apparently, undocumented immigrant)? 

Many would likely say that it doesn’t matter.  But I think that the answer could suggest some revealing things about how our mass media provides us with information that is accepted as truth while not necessarily being factual.  It could also say something about how we, the audience, accept information as being true based more on emotional influences rather than facts.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Many would likely say that it doesn’t matter.  But I think that the answer could suggest some revealing things about how our mass media provides us with information that is accepted as truth while not necessarily being factual.

or the government for that matter…or both.

In the Sandy Hook outrage, it came out that Adam Lanza tried to buy guns legally but what was turned down, which if true, makes one wonder why they man wasn’t at least investigated if not arrested for the attempt.

The problem: Apparantly, this never happened. At least that’s the claim being made by the local government. This leaves you with the following uncomfortable possibilities.

A) The media got it right and Adam Lanza…a legally disqualified buyer…did in fact try to buy weapons but was turned down, and the local government is trying to cover up a spectacular and ultimately grisly mistake,

B) The Media just made it up whole cloth out of nothing more then rumour and innuendo, or

C) A sick combination of both (A) and (B).

After all, we all just know that the news media and the government would never lie, cover up mistakes, or come to conclusions without first knowing all the facts, right????

Don’t forget, these are the same people who claim to know better then us “Little people” and who want us to trust them.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Yes, it seems to me that there are some fundamentally dysfunctional aspects to our mass media system, not the least of which is the transformation of our news providers (over the past couple of decades) to becoming an entertainment industry rather than, primarily, a provider of information.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I am no lawyer, but regarding the mass media, it seems like libel laws are a bit too weak right now. People seem to be unable to defend themselves against reckless speculation.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 May 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

In the Cleveland 10 year abduction case, the “fast breaking entertainment news media” found an entertaining guy to be “The Hero”, and he was quickly hailed as such across all the “entertainment/news” media.  Then it turns out that the “hero” who clained to be the person who kicked down the door and pulled Amanda Berry and her child out of captivity, may not have been the person that actually did that. 

The “entertaiment/news” media doesn’t seem to care whether it dupes us, the audience, they just seem to care about ratings.  And, it leads me to wonder whether, we, the audience, don’t care so much that we are duped, as that we are entertained.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11

Angel Cordero doesn’t speak much English and is reticent to speak out, while the other gentleman has no such compunction, and is a very entertainingly verbose figure, perfectly willing to take all the credit. He makes for good tv ratings….and it IS all about the ratings. I do hope Cordero is able to claim his reward.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 12 May 2013 07:15 AM

In the rescue of Amanda Berry and her daughter, was it Charles Ramsey (the somewhat stereotypical but entertaining black man) or was it Angel Cordero (the, apparently, undocumented immigrant)? 

Many would likely say that it doesn’t matter.  But I think that the answer could suggest some revealing things about how our mass media provides us with information that is accepted as truth while not necessarily being factual.  It could also say something about how we, the audience, accept information as being true based more on emotional influences rather than facts.

I’m not sure who is more incompetent, the police or the media.  They seem to be in a race for the National Incompetence Award. I’d say the cops are a little ahead but the media is gaining on them. What a country!

Lois

Posted: 13 May 2013 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24

I think you’ve hit the bulls-eye. Emotion will always trump facts.

On the good side, mass media doesn’t matter a lot anymore - at least the to the say, under 40-45 group.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 May 2013 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 13 May 2013 02:55 AM

On the good side, mass media doesn’t matter a lot anymore - at least the to the say, under 40-45 group.

Does that mean that the under 40-45 age group are more factually informed?

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3057
Joined  2011-08-15

Most of us now get our news from the electronic media and via TV so my guess is the younger cried but check out which is the best and worst for info: one of the former posters warned us about this:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/174826/survey-nprs-listeners-best-informed-fox-news-viewers-worst-informed/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 May 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 13 May 2013 04:27 PM
mid atlantic - 13 May 2013 02:55 AM

Does that mean that the under 40-45 age group are more factually informed?

Very unlikely. downer

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.