1 of 2
Been goofy over Benghazi?
Posted: 12 May 2013 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04

I would like to say that the Republican Congress’ persistance on “investigating” Benghazi, appears to me to be little more than a simple and single minded endeavor to influence Hillary Clinton’s chances of being the next Democratic Presidential nominee. 

I also think that it exemplifies that their self appointed role is not to attend to matters relevant to governing, but to perpetually attend to political strategies to acquire or maintain their power.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

The correct question is: What standing does anybody in our government have to investigate anything in Benghazi???? The last time I looked, this town wasn’t in the USA.

Never mind what idiot right or left wing party they pay lip service to!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Hmm… you suggest that none of our elected officials should be involved in matters outside of our own country.  While that seems to me to be an extreme perspective, I do agree that they should be addressing matters here instead.

And I do think that it matters which, as you say “idiot party they pay lip service to”, because one of the two “idiot” parties, is generally much more complicit in using their power simply to maintain and aquire power rather than to do any meaningful governing.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 May 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Hah. I remember seeing a piece on the internets news about this. Here it is:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/12/18209616-on-benghazi-probe-gops-issa-says-hillary-clintons-not-a-target?lite

Apparently, you’re not the only person who got the impression that the GOP is engaged in a political witch hunt.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 May 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Yeah, it seems pretty self-evident to me.  At this point, it seems most likely indeed that Hillary will be the next Democratic Presidential nominee.  And if the Republicans had any sense, Chris Christie would be their next nominee.  (That would be a contest.)  However, if, as seems to be the case, that the Republicans wish to continue their decline into extreme right-wing la-la land and provide someone who appeals to that as their nominee, then they need to insure that Hillary is not their opponent, in order to have a meaningful chance at re-taking the White House.

(I’m not saying that Christie doesn’t have some ultra-conservative views. but he can appeal to independents.)

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

First, remember that the world’s embassies, no matter where they are, are considered to be part of their home country.  So although the attack occurred in Benghazi, it was our embassy that was attacked so it was part of our U.S.A.

Second, I think there are enough Tea-Party and Southern Republicans who detest Christie that he might not be able to get them to vote for him, either by staying home or running Rand Paul. snake

Third, if there’s too much vulnerability for Hillary, possibly the Democrats should find a really popular, very old person who’s got some long term health problems, run him for president with Hillary as vice-president.  Then a while after they win the election, the person may either die or else resign because of poor health, letting Hillary take over. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3251
Joined  2011-08-15

Third, if there’s too much vulnerability for Hillary, possibly the Democrats should find a really popular, very old person who’s got some long term health problems, run him for president with Hillary as vice-president.  Then a while after they win the election, the person may either die or else resign because of poor health, letting Hillary take over.

Ok, then why not flip the ticket and run Joe Biden for Prez and Hillary for Veep? Joe’s long in the tooth but has a great deal of political savvy . He appeals to we baby boomers (he’s one of us) and if he happens to resign due to declining health, Hilary could finish his term then run in her own right as you suggested? Although if she runs IMO she’s a shoe in for the next election and the reps are throwing everything at her now in the hopes that something, anything will stick. The mud slinging’s not over yet.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Correct, and I was talking about Biden, but with my memory slippage, I couldn’t remember his name when I was posting.  Thanks, Jack. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

(I’m not saying that Christie doesn’t have some ultra-conservative views. but he can appeal to independents.)

My early prediction, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. Both tea bagger favorites, anti abortion, pro gun, pro jebus, antiimmigrant jingos. the FOWBs last chance to reclaim the throne. Christie’s just too moderate. Don’t think logical, think emotional.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Correct, and I was talking about Biden, but with my memory slippage, I couldn’t remember his name when I was posting.  Thanks, Jack.

Occam

You’re welcone Occam. Besides, I like Joe, I really do. He destroyed Ryan in the debates! Sometimes he steps in it but most of the time he makes sense especially in his defense of background checks for weapons.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10

Undoubtedly politics is involved.  For the most part, politics and money are the only things which motivate our elected representatives, as their primary concern is reelection.  Although it seems apparent that warnings were ignored and efforts were made to cover various asses in the aftermath, the focus should be on correcting errors made not using them to score points.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 May 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Little early to be promoting candidates for the next election isn’t it.  The media hasn’t even started their absurd game yet.  cool smirk

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 13 May 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Hmm… you suggest that none of our elected officials should be involved in matters outside of our own country.

Strawman.

What I ASKED was: “What standing does anybody in our government have to investigate anything in Benghazi???? The last time I looked, this town wasn’t in the USA.”

It’s a matter of jurisdiction. For some odd reason, people in other countries get a bit cranky when outsiders meddle in their affairs. (Properly so IMO.)

And I do think that it matters which, as you say “idiot party they pay lip service to”, because one of the two “idiot” parties, is generally much more complicit in using their power simply to maintain and aquire power rather than to do any meaningful governing.

They’re both equally guilty of that. Either start looking for people with genuine integrity….even if it’s from one of thoese dreaded third parties….or just get used to seeing more of the same old B.S.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 13 May 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 13 May 2013 02:41 PM

Hmm… you suggest that none of our elected officials should be involved in matters outside of our own country.

Strawman.

What I ASKED was: “What standing does anybody in our government have to investigate anything in Benghazi???? The last time I looked, this town wasn’t in the USA.”

It’s a matter of jurisdiction. For some odd reason, people in other countries get a bit cranky when outsiders meddle in their affairs. (Properly so IMO.)

They’re both equally guilty of that…

Curmudgeon, If you think that both parties are equally guilty of preventing meaningful legislation, I think you are seriously in error.

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 12 May 2013 07:07 PM

First, remember that the world’s embassies, no matter where they are, are considered to be part of their home country.  So although the attack occurred in Benghazi, it was our embassy that was attacked so it was part of our U.S.A.

Second, I think there are enough Tea-Party and Southern Republicans who detest Christie that he might not be able to get them to vote for him, either by staying home or running Rand Paul. snake

Third, if there’s too much vulnerability for Hillary, possibly the Democrats should find a really popular, very old person who’s got some long term health problems, run him for president with Hillary as vice-president.  Then a while after they win the election, the person may either die or else resign because of poor health, letting Hillary take over. LOL

Occam

Your 2nd point is duly noted, but when it comes to the Republican Presidential Nominee, the GOP old guard typically have their way.  I don’t know how they will manage the primary hurdles to select a moderate seeming candidate, (since their base is composed of so many extremers, but I expect they will.  On the other hand, I hope they don’t.  If they run one of their extremers, their odds of winning go down profoundly.

On your 3rd point, I don’t think Biden would be frail enough to fit the bill.

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Curmudgeon, If you think that both parties are equally guilty of preventing
meaningful legislation, I think you are seriously in error.

You would be mistaken. Each party tries to make the other party look bad to get their own empty suits in and the OTHER guys empty suits out. Sorry, but that’s just the way partisan politricks works.

Get used to it.

Signature 

1 of 2