6 of 8
“The Impossible”
Posted: 16 May 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe we need to spend more money on the other dogs’ education. You know, Head Start Programs for puppies…

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
GdB - 16 May 2013 11:05 AM
Thevillageatheist - 16 May 2013 10:57 AM

She was a Keeshond, a Dutch breed, hence my racial prejudice toward northern European canines.

Yeah, Dutch are the best… tongue rolleye

If you bred a Keeshond with a Chocolate Lab, would the progeny be Dutch Chocolate?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

Total Posts:  2002
Joined  2011-11-04
Border collies are one of the most intelligent breeds, but when taken out of the circumstances for which they were bred, and used as housepets, I think that they can have a tendency to become the most neurotic. (At least judging by the collies that a friend of mine has.)

I also think that a dog’s behavior can be shaped by the home it occupies. Put it with a bunch of active kids and watch how neurotic it eventually becomes! and as to breed, IMO all collies are hyperactive.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

If you bred a Keeshond with a Chocolate Lab, would the progeny be Dutch Chocolate?

Damn Tim, now I’m gettin’ hungry! Ok, GdB, answer this question as you of all people would know: which is better, Dutch or Swiss chocolate? Let’s see if your prejudice shows through! BTW I have Dutch ancestory so I agree with your earlier post!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 16 May 2013 11:15 AM

Maybe we need to spend more money on the other dogs’ education. You know, Head Start Programs for puppies…

We should first try to get back the funding that has been lost for Head Start for humans. Dogs don’t need to be all that intelligent to succeed in their roles as pets.  It would be nice, however, if humans maximized their intellectual potential so that they can have more opportunities at being successful as humans.  Many who don’t won’t be able to fall back on being a pet.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Head Start for puppies could turn Pekingeses into K9 dogs. Since they are much smaller than German Shepherd, all the money saved on the dog food could be then used for Head Start for humans.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 16 May 2013 11:44 AM

Head Start for puppies could turn Pekingeses into K9 dogs. Since they are much smaller than German Shepherd, all the money saved on the dog food could be then used for Head Start for humans.

Your sarcasm is improving.

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

No can do. Peeks don’t have the nose for it! LOL

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-08-31
Thevillageatheist - 16 May 2013 11:24 AM

Damn Tim, now I’m gettin’ hungry! Ok, GdB, answer this question as you of all people would know: which is better, Dutch or Swiss chocolate? Let’s see if your prejudice shows through! BTW I have Dutch ancestory so I agree with your earlier post!

That is a difficult question! But to start with: Swiss chocolate might have a good name, but the importance of the Swiss is historically not the chocolate itself, but a machine to make chocolate: the conche. But for good chocolate you need the right ingredients too of course…

Now for the question: I am living in Switzerland for 20 years now, and always when people ask about any difference between X in the Netherlands and X in Switzerland, I must take into account that:

* I lived in the Netherlands 20 years ago, and it has changed (for me the Netherlands already feels as a foreign country). And in this time the ‘chocolate development’ has not stood still, in both countries (well, I assume it has changed in the Netherlands, I do not really know, when I am there I am more interested in cigars and liquorice)
* I was much younger and as I am of the Frisian and therefore Calvinistic race (these traits go together wink, it surely is genetic) I did not consume much ‘luxury food’ like chocolate, potato crisps and whiskey; as I grew older I enjoyed those stuff more freely. The chocolate I like most has 80-90% cacao in it. So definitely no milk chocolate (so I can’t say anything about cross breeds between Keeshonds and Chocolate Labs)
* Not much to do with chocolate, but still: my professional career really started in Switzerland. And in working circles you meet other people than in Academia.
* In the Netherlands I always lived in towns, since I am in Switzerland I live in small villages.

So between my trials to be ironic, I suppose I am saying: one’s observations are not that objective when one is not aware of one’s prejudices. Being aware of that and therefore sounding not quite secure about one’s observations therefore does not directly correlate with the truth of what one is saying (as somebody here seems to think…)

So my honest answer to your question is: I don’t know. But what makes me very suspicious: it seems that the Swiss also discovered that if one mixes milk in the chocolate, children like it more. So milk chocolate is definitive children-sweeties. Real men go for 100% cacao chocolate!

But what I heard: the best pralines you get in Brussels and in Berlin, not in Switzerland.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 May 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

So between my trials to be ironic, I suppose I am saying: one’s observations are not that objective when one is not aware of one’s prejudices. Being aware of that and therefore sounding not quite secure about one’s observations therefore does not directly correlate with the truth of what one is saying (as somebody here seems to think…)

As to chocolate, I’ve Tried both and for the life of me I can’t tell the difference. I do like the dark 70% and above chocolate and when it’s infused in coffee it’s delicious! A double shot of caffeine. Try chocolate covered coffee beans some time.  my brother was working for a mainstream affiliate TV station he was sent to Bern to do a story. He lived in a sister city at that time, New Bern, N.C., and he brought back several samples of the Swiss variety which chocolate shops in New Bern now import. So I can get my fill of the milk variety. I admit that I’m a chocoholic as is my brother (maybe it’s genetic) and have had some unconventional concoctions, e.g. Chocolate covered ants. Yes insects can be used as a food source but that’s another topic.

Also. In reference to the above, my naïveté may be showing but when it comes to prejudices, the culture I live in and came from BTW is very aware of prejudices. we deal in black and white ( figuratively) with limited grey areas. Few here reflect on their belief be it religion or race. I suppose that’s why I don’t view that someone’s posts as being prejudiced or promoting a racist attitude. After you’ve spent an evening with a klansman (something I’m not proud of but use only as an illiustration to make my point) you get to know the mind of a racist and I’ve never seen a post on this site filled with the absolute mindless rage these people exibit. It’s a frightening experience. I’m not stating that I agree with the concept of genetics linked to intelligence or aggression either. In fact, I want to throw triracial people into the discussion but I’ll intro my idea on the appropriate site.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I know, “race” is only a social construct, but:

journal.pone.0032840.g001&representation=PNG_M

Posted: 17 May 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 17 May 2013 08:13 AM

I know, “race” is only a social construct, but:

If you present such a graph as an argument against my position, then it is pretty clear to me you have not understood it at all. I have no reason to think that the statistics it presents are incorrect. But it is not a relevant argument against my position. Did I somewhere argue that there are no such correlations, and that they cannot be genetically based?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 May 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Again, I find myself agreeing with GdB’s apparent wisdom in his carefully presented views on the subject of chocolate. From a purely subjective standpoint, it is clear to me that dark chocolate is vastly superior to milk chocolate.  Milk chocolate will do in a pinch, but why settle for Johnny Walker, when you can have a fine Scottish single malt for almost the same price?  I am not sure that my preference of dark chocolate gives me “real man” status, but it is nice to think so.

I suspect that it is not the case, though, as my love, of Dutch Chocolate ice cream, stems from a childhood memory of my first encounter with the delectable substance.  We had milkmen in those days.  The object of my perrenial affection was delivered directly to our door.  It was love at first taste.  I still love Dutch Chocolate ice cream, but the taste is not as enlightening as I recall of that 1st time. I chalk this up to my taste buds changing with age, but GdB mentioned that ingredients change, so perhaps this is a factor as well.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

As far as insects as a food source, cover all of the insects with dark chocolate, and I will likely find them to be palatable.  And as far as someone seeming to have racist inclinations, let them present their assertions objectively and back them up with meaningful data, and I suspect that I will find that palatable, as well.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I suspect that it is not the case, though, as my love, of Dutch Chocolate ice cream, stems from a childhood memory of my first encounter with the delectable substance.  We had milkmen in those days.  The object of my perrenial affection was delivered directly to our door.  It was love at first taste.  I still love Dutch Chocolate ice cream, but the taste is not as enlightening as I recall of that 1st time. I chalk this up to my taste buds changing with age, but GdB mentioned that ingredients change, so perhaps this is a factor as well.

Two words: Haagen Daz! Mine have changed too but I can still taste this creamy brand and they even have a dark chocolate variety. Good stuff.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

6 of 8

‹‹ Crazy Ones      Cool cover of Space Oddity... ››