3 of 3
Help me my skeptic friends (cosmos)
Posted: 07 October 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4625
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 07 October 2013 07:02 PM

A different hike in Yosemite is to drive to Tuolome (sp) Meadows (7,000+ feet), park your car and backpack to the three Young’s Lakes.  The upper one is about 10,500 feet high as I recall (not too certain because it was in 1974).  Stay there an extra day to build platelets and red blood vessels.  Then hike cross-country to the north end of the park. Finally, hike south along the western trails back to Tuolome Meadows.  Should take about eight days, but seeing the animals, the stars, the unbelievable views can’t be forgotten.

Occam

That sounds like a fantastic hike, Occam. I need to spend some time in the Sierra Nevada next summer.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 October 2013 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-02-21
Occam. - 07 October 2013 07:02 PM

A different hike in Yosemite is to drive to Tuolome (sp) Meadows (7,000+ feet), park your car and backpack to the three Young’s Lakes.  The upper one is about 10,500 feet high as I recall (not too certain because it was in 1974).  Stay there an extra day to build platelets and red blood vessels.  Then hike cross-country to the north end of the park. Finally, hike south along the western trails back to Tuolome Meadows.  Should take about eight days, but seeing the animals, the stars, the unbelievable views can’t be forgotten.

Occam

that my friend is a true adventure, well done.

Posted: 09 October 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

And one of the best but stupidist things I did was to get pissed at the Unitarian minister who wanted to go the wrong way (didn’t know how to read a compass along with a geodesic map), so the other seven guys followed him (charism tongue rolleye ), so I went off by myself (wrong!!!), but seeing the doe and her fawn walking ten feet away while I had stopped for lunch, watching a duck and her six or eight tiny ducklings swimming hell-bent in a brook, figuring out how to cross a 30 foot across, 20 feet straight down then up, canyon, made it worth it.  The final pleasure was to have the son of one of the guys tell me, that evening at the campground that they had ended up in a box canyon and had to double back and take the path I had recommended. smile 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 October 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-02-21
Occam. - 09 October 2013 05:38 PM

And one of the best but stupidist things I did was to get pissed at the Unitarian minister who wanted to go the wrong way (didn’t know how to read a compass along with a geodesic map), so the other seven guys followed him (charism tongue rolleye ), so I went off by myself (wrong!!!), but seeing the doe and her fawn walking ten feet away while I had stopped for lunch, watching a duck and her six or eight tiny ducklings swimming hell-bent in a brook, figuring out how to cross a 30 foot across, 20 feet straight down then up, canyon, made it worth it.  The final pleasure was to have the son of one of the guys tell me, that evening at the campground that they had ended up in a box canyon and had to double back and take the path I had recommended. smile 

Occam

ha ha I love that you took the adventure solo. Awesome

3 of 3