Good bye Ray Manzarek (keyboardist for the Doors) - clip from a 1998 interview
Posted: 25 May 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4392
Joined  2010-08-15

It’s funny I haven’t listen to WHYY’s Fresh Air in weeks if not months, yesterday I dialed in and bang another great interview.
Ironically, just a couple weeks ago Harry Shearer at La Show tagged her good for over use of “so” - it hurt.

And this interview was great because Ray Manzarek is such an animated interviewee.
It was only a 20 minute clip from an interview back in 1998 -

The reason I’m bringing it up is the last few minutes contain one of the best self descriptions of a song going from initial idea to being fleshed out into the mega-hit “(come on baby) Light My Fire.” 
Down right beautiful… TromboneAndrew I think you’d get a kick out of it.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/24/185827139/remembering-ray-manzarek-keyboardist-for-the-doors

The mythology surrounding The Doors has centered largely on its lead singer, Jim Morrison, who died under mysterious circumstances in 1971. Morrison is still considered one of rock music’s tortured poets and sex gods, but instrumentally, The Doors’ distinctive sound was based on Ray Manzarek’s keyboard playing. His are the riffs made famous in such songs such as “Riders on the Storm,” “Break on Through” and “People Are Strange.”

[ Edited: 25 May 2013 11:23 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 31 May 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05

That interview was way too short. Who’d a thunk the solos in Light My Fire were inspired by John Coltrane’s My Favorite Things? I’d love to hear him explaining how some of their other great songs came about. I’m going to check Half Price Books for Manzarek’s memoirs.

I’m going to put my iPod in my pocket, queue some Doors, go out on the back porch and smoke a cigar while sipping some tequila. I can hear the cigar begging me Come on baby light my fire.

Edit: Man must have whiskey, ah you know why.

[ Edited: 31 May 2013 08:41 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 June 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Show you the way to the next whiskey bar?

LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 03 June 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4392
Joined  2010-08-15
harry canyon - 03 June 2013 03:43 PM

Show you the way to the next whiskey bar?

LOL

Take care,

Derek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM2iIPEN8EQ

cheese

surprised

gulp

kiss

mad

hmmm

sick

Signature