Newbie from South Africa
Posted: 30 May 2013 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-05-29

Hi, every-one.
I live in Pretoria, South Africa. I used to be a christian but de-converted when my eyes opened after leaving the church. I realized that the church is just a business enterprise, feeding on people’s fear and longing in wanting to know the answers to life’s big questions.
However, being a seeker all my life, I took a round-about route, moving from christianity to spirituality, until realizing that this stuff (religion, spirituality) is all in the mind!
The pieces fell into place while I was reading one of Douglas Adams’ books!
That’s my story in a nutshell, happy to be here!

Posted: 30 May 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Hi and welcome FNC40, glad to hear you left the church.

Sounds like you should find this forum quite interesting.

Good avatar BTW, Homer is a total enemy of religion and superstition.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 30 May 2013 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-05-29

Thanks! Like your signature!

Posted: 30 May 2013 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome aboard. I see you are off to a fast start. I’m happy to have you here and look forward to discussing things with you.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 May 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2782
Joined  2011-11-04

Welcome, FMC, I am a Douglas Adams fan, as are others on this forum.  Though I don’t recall his books having an impact on my religiosity. I am just curious, if you recall, which book led to your “de-conversion” falling into place?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 30 May 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-05-29
TimB - 30 May 2013 03:04 PM

Welcome, FMC, I am a Douglas Adams fan, as are others on this forum.  Though I don’t recall his books having an impact on my religiosity. I am just curious, if you recall, which book led to your “de-conversion” falling into place?

Hi! It was “Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency”, in the beginning where he describes the electric monk. I just realized that people can believe anything if they put their minds to it!