Mermaids
Posted: 30 May 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

Did anybody see the “mockumentary” about Mermaids on Animal Planet recently?

I did not catch it, but many viewers seemed to not know it was fake?
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/29/mermaids-return-from-the-depths-of-tvs-chum-bucket/

Image Attachments
facepalm.jpg
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 31 May 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Some of my friends saw it. I do not think they realized it was a hoax. I don’t feel like arguing (with them) right now. sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 June 2013 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3326
Joined  2011-11-04

I saw bits of advertising for the show which presented it as if it were a real documentary.  My immediate reaction was “WTF?!??!?!”  I had to get online to figure out what was going on. 

I would be willing to bet that lots of viewers did not catch any disclaimers, and did not bother checking its veracity, and are now assuming that mermaids live in our oceans.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 June 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3326
Joined  2011-11-04

Hey! Here’s a great idea for the next great Dupe-amentary.  Mice on Mars!
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/29/mars-rat-spied-by-nasa-curiosity-rover/

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 June 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

This type of programming makes me glad my wife and I quit our cable TV habit 2.5 years ago.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2013-06-01

I work with a guy who was fooled by the mermaid documentary several months ago when he watched it.

What bothers me even more is the History Channel pumping out a constant stream of nonsense documentaries.  It is important for people to learn to question their information, but what happens when you can’t trust any information?  Politics seems to be getting more and more polarized for this same reason (at least in the U.S.).

[ Edited: 02 June 2013 10:41 AM by ufo-buff ]