6 of 6
Still just fine with the term “God”, but….
Posted: 13 June 2013 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

Your right, in my mind I am trying to get an understanding on several issues and need to stay focused. One issue is Hindu and Buddha, they are listed as religions.  But no god as the way we think of god in Christianity. They do worship idols but not like the Catholics.
What is today’s atheists message to the world; you can have religion (like Hindu and Buddha), but can’t have a religion that worship false gods or any gods because we as atheists do not believe in any gods?

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

Brmckay,
Thanks for getting involved. I see you’re a senior member, that great. Don’t be discouraged because of new guys like me, I am still trying it get the feel of the forum. First time in my life I joined a network group like this. It is really helping my understanding of issues to be able to talk to guys like you.
Thanks, Mike

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  6044
Joined  2009-02-26

OP title. “Still just fine with the term “God”, but….”

IMO the word Potential is better as it can be defined and does not need 6 pages just arguing about the history of an unknowable god before coming to the conclusion that we have no clue about god, except that we have always believed in “something unseen”.

These discussions always end up with a shrug of the shoulders because using scripture is wholly inadequate to address the question of the ...“but”.

I tried to answer the question (with scientific citation), but of course was rebuked for being obtuse and accused for serving my own agenda?

The OP begins with an agenda of “being just fine with the term God”.  Have at it, end of discussion.

[ Edited: 13 June 2013 01:11 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2013-05-31

Mike,

I joined after you and only have two green boxes. Not disappointed in anyone.

Write4U,

You really do have to have the last word.  I thought I was imagining it.

I’m not leaving with a “shrug”.  I actually learned lot from this, and the process of writing was as much for me as for any of you.

I consider it a meditational practice and leave feeling some contentment and joy.

The title fit the theme perfectly, though I didn’t know where it was going when I started.

I’m hoping that it will serve others who, like me, are not quite ready or qualified to be scientists, are not willing to let scientists replace priests or, dare I say it, actually come to the same understanding as I have.

Thanks for cluing me to Bohm.

6 of 6