6 of 23
Definition of Atheist
Posted: 09 June 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Yes there is.

No there isn’t.

The Christians view your statement as there is a god, you just a non-believer.

So what? How they overthink the issue is of no concern to me.

(Of course us 2%(atheists) fully agree and understand what you mean).

Point being, if we are going to give ourselves a title. We should pick a meaning that most others understand. Not just us.

I don’t have to do anything of the kind. What I offered is simple…dirt simple…and hard reality. There’s no need to contrive some stupid and excessively complicated soap opera of definitions to suit the whims and misconceptions of a demographic which doesn’t understand us, doesn’t want to understand us, and is hostile to us to begin with.

And just ignoring the problems ABOUT and others are having with the definition will not make the problem go away.

I’m not the one who’s insisting there’s a problem. The only one who appears to have a problem with “Atheism is a LACK of belief in any god or gods” is you!

Do yourself a favor and get past it. Some things just aren’t that complicated.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 09 June 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  6041
Joined  2009-02-26
brmckay - 09 June 2013 07:03 AM

Write4U - Then, the final logical argument from the definition of Potential.

potential = that which may become reality. Thus, while not all potential becomes reality, all reality is, was, and will be preceded by potential. Even the Big Bang was preceded by Potential. It is the true definition of “creative ability”, Potential.

The understanding of God, being resolved here is not really a universal understanding.  Only the dualistic theologies are ‘resolved’ by the above argument.  It does not resolve the monistic conceptualization.  Potential/Potential made Explicate.  Inseparable.

You just said it. What are you arguing?

The field of Potentiality does not disappear once a Potential is made Explicate

. Right Potential is a property of the universe.

When the Potential of ‘Time’ manifests. What is the ground of Events within Time? Potentiality.  Infinite singularity.  Eternal ‘Here and Now’.

The arguments of Atheists against dualistic conceptualizations of God,  is like 5th graders badgering 3rd graders about their lack of education.

LOl, to me it is just the very opposite. Theists are like 3th graders badgering the 5th graders about the poor misunderstood pink elephant in the sky.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 June 2013 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

Got to say, that you guy at a point in theory that I may never reach, trying to keep up.
I have to work in a simpler method until my understanding increases.

The way I see it.  2 + 2 + 2 = 6
Or
Atheist + belief + god = understanding

Where is the mass of mankind today? 
  ?  +  2 +  ?  =  ?

Most understand what “belief” is.

So let’s remove Atheist.  And we are half way there.

So now if we know what “God” is we can reach understanding.

Is that somewhat close to the theory of “potential” and “true definition?”

I know what god is so I have no problem with potential,
And I agree with conceptualization.
Don’t understand “Potential of Time”
But I had no real understanding of god until Gnostic thought and found it’s really quite simple, which means I have understanding.
And the Gnostic understanding is what you mean by monistic conceptualization.

Now help me with dualistic conceptualizations of God.

That may be me too.

There is not a bone in my body that believes in God or the concept of the creator except in the Gnostic thought.
I fully understand that man created gods, all gods. And you will never convince me otherwise. When I die I return to star dust. Don’t believe in the sprites and junk.
But,
When I think of my Grandfather and Grandmother I know that they are in heaven with their God.  And their God Almighty is real. You can try but you will not be able to convince me otherwise.

I do not try and figure it out, because it doesn’t bother me that much, I figure it is just part of being human.

I sure hope this is dualistic conceptualizations of God trait; otherwise call for Nurses Ratched; I’m ready for a lobotomy.

Posted: 10 June 2013 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Have you ever considered that Heaven resides in your Mind.  When we speak of eternal life, it means “eternally in our memory”.  You believe your grand parents are in heaven because YOU remember them fondly and you always will and tell stories of them so that their memory “lives” on in your children and so forth.

This is why we assign heaven to some and hell to others.  Jesus, Gandhi, Einstein all reside in Heaven (good memories), Hitler dwells in hell as he will always be remembered as a monster. No one goes to heaven, they build memories and are remembered for their good or bad deeds throughout history (eternally).

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Mike Yohe - 01 June 2013 05:07 PM

Round and round you go. Where you stop, nobody knows.

Wake up people.

The definition of atheist is in reference to god.

So.

First you have to understand the definition of god.

Let’s have some fun and see how far out of the Dark Ages man has come on this subject.

Wikipedia, God - an object of faith.

What is faith? It is what ever you want to believe.
So where does that leave the meaning of “Atheist”?

One who rejects all gods and all faith. It’s that simple.

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Write, It seems to me that memories are ephemeral rather than eternal.  Certainly some “memories” are passed on historically, but history, itself, is not eternal. But I suppose that everything, and everbody, and every memory, and every concept, is involved, in some way, as to how eternity proceeds.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 10 June 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2013-05-31

Mike Yohe - “Now help me with dualistic conceptualizations of God.

That may be me too.

There is not a bone in my body that believes in God or the concept of the creator except in the Gnostic thought.
I fully understand that man created gods, all gods. And you will never convince me otherwise. When I die I return to star dust. Don’t believe in the sprites and junk.
But,
When I think of my Grandfather and Grandmother I know that they are in heaven with their God.  And their God Almighty is real. You can try but you will not be able to convince me otherwise.

I do not try and figure it out, because it doesn’t bother me that much, I figure it is just part of being human.

I sure hope this is dualistic conceptualizations of God trait; otherwise call for Nurses Ratched; I’m ready for a lobotomy.

It is not dualistic conceptualization in the presence of Gnostic thought.

Missing Gnostic thought, then Atheism makes no sense, and lobotomy not helpful.

Posted: 10 June 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 10 June 2013 09:27 AM

Write, It seems to me that memories are ephemeral rather than eternal.  Certainly some “memories” are passed on historically, but history, itself, is not eternal. But I suppose that everything, and everbody, and every memory, and every concept, is involved, in some way, as to how eternity proceeds.

I agree, memories do fade in time. And yes, we are part of the wholeness and our bodies are in a constant state of flux along with the holomovement (Bohm) of the universe.

[ Edited: 10 June 2013 01:33 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 10 June 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>So let’s remove Atheist.  And we are half way there.<<

Can’t do that. Try taking a look at the title of this thread to understand why.

>>So now if we know what “God” is we can reach understanding.<<

As far as the atheist is concerned, there is nothing to understand.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 10 June 2013 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 10 June 2013 02:30 PM

So let’s remove Atheist.  And we are half way there.

So now if we know what “God” is we can reach understanding.

@brmckay,  from wiki,

Gnosticism was primarily defined in a Christian context.[5][6] Some scholars have claimed that gnosticism predated Christianity. Such discussions have included pre-Christian religious beliefs and spiritual practices argued to be common to early Christianity, Hellenistic Judaism, Greco-Roman mystery religions, Zoroastrianism (especially Zurvanism), and Neoplatonism. The discussion of gnosticism changed radically with the discovery of the Nag Hammadi library and led to revision of older assumptions.

Again, read Bohm.

The Cosmic Plenum: Bohm’s Gnosis: The Implicate Order.

http://www.bizcharts.com/stoa_del_sol/plenum/plenum_3.html

[ Edited: 10 June 2013 03:16 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 10 June 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Write4U   Post 79

Have you ever considered that Heaven resides in your Mind. 
My research tells me Heaven is where the stars are. As far as my Grandparents, of course it is all in my mind. Yes, before I was old enough to question information from trusted sources.

When we speak of eternal life, it means “eternally in our memory”. 
I don’t think so, when we speak of eternal life we are talking about “belief”. It is wishful thinking for all mankind, always has been going back to the Red Ochre burials. 

You believe your grand parents are in heaven because YOU remember them fondly and you always will and tell stories of them so that their memory “lives” on in your children and so forth.

Yes, of course I want to leave behind to my children a family bible of the lives of the family they came from.

At some point I was expecting those feeling of my Grandparents in heaven to change. But I’m not holding my breath.

Posted: 10 June 2013 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Lois Post 80

One who rejects all gods and all faith. It’s that simple.

Boy, you don’t have to tell me that. I agree 200% with you. We are on the same page buddy.
So, I want to know why according to some dictionaries and atheist web sites today there is the presumably that many Christians can not understand that statement the same way and you and I do?

Posted: 10 June 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Brmckay   Post #82

It is not dualistic conceptualization in the presence of Gnostic thought.
Missing Gnostic thought, then Atheism makes no sense, and lobotomy not helpful.

Brmckay, I have a hard time expressing in words my inter thoughts from my research and reasoning.

But to me if Gnostic had the time to fully evolve as a religion, it could be the closest thing to an atheist religion or a humanist religion there could be. The God of the Gnostic Jesus is a concept all atheist would understand and I can’t imagine have any trouble with.

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon   Post 84

>>So let’s remove Atheist.  And we are half way there.<<
>>So now if we know what “God” is we can reach understanding.<<

Widen you understanding of what God is.

The Gnostic Jesus said “God is Knowledge”

And don’t you need God?

And I think Jesus was right when he said “God is inside of you”.

I bet you have some knowledge.

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Write4U Post #85

Watergate was child’s play when it came to covering up an issue. The burial of the Gnostic teachings has been an effort that is still going on today by the organized religions.

One would think that Jesus got his education in Egypt; Egypt was ruled by foreign leaders for hundreds of years with root or connections in India by way of Babylon (Zoroastrianism). And we know the biggest college in the known world on religion at that time was in Egypt and taught Gnostic

I would look for the definition of Gnosticism to be redefined many more times in the upcoming years.

Strip Gnosticism to the bear bone of thought and it is God is knowledge and all mankind makes up god. But for you to find the knowledge in side of you, you have to seek it.

This thinking got Jesus in a lot of trouble in Israel when he said that he was the son of God. As all people are in the Gnostic sense. And thus Jesus shut up about it, except to people like Mary and Thomas. Thus we now have the secret teachings of Jesus. That is what it is beginning to look like.

6 of 23

‹‹ A Thitd Sex?      Excellent definition ››